DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop life expectancy

How long do you folk keep a set of props before replacing them?

Bought Mavic Pro 18th December 2016 and still using the same props. In short, the answer to your question is not defined by time. One set may be destroyed on the first flight or, like mine, last almost two years.
I do recommend examining and cleaning your props each time you use the drone.

Bought Mavic Pro 18th December 2016 and still using the same props. In short, the answer to your question is not defined by time. One set may be destroyed on the first flight or, like mine, last almost two years.
I do recommend examining and cleaning your props each time you use the drone.

Yes it will indeed vary from user to user. I bought mine march of this year and I am on 169 hours flight time but the props still look like new when I clean all the bug juice off.

There are some rules I go by when it comes to props.
  1. The first things to wear out are the inner 3 prop hub tabs. They are the most fragile part of the prop. If the prop no longer "locks in to the groove" when installing it, like it did when it was new, it goes into the trash bin and get replaced with a new one.
  2. I think it's best to remove and inspect props before every flight, especially if they have been on there for a long time. It's the only way to know that all 3 prop hub tabs are not broken. The prop might stay locked in with one tab broken, but the results of a hard acceleration or deceleration could be catastrophic.
  3. If the metal rivets on the prop hub show any signs of oxidation, replace the prop. Oxidation can cause the rivets to limit the prop blades motion, and cause the motor to surge to try and create the lift the ESC is asking it to.
  4. If you hold the prop by its hub hole, with the blades extended horizontally, neither blade should move. This will insure the tightness of the rivets. If one blade should move, inspect the rivet end of the prop for cracks or abnormal wear.
  5. If your drone has crashed, replace all 4 props, especially if there is damage to any arm. Even though you might not see a defect in the prop, why take chances.
  6. Dont fly with a chipped or dented prop. It will not create as much lift as the others, and will make the motor work harder to keep up with the others.
  7. DONT BUY GENERIC PROPS. This should really be #1. There are some manufacturers who make props I would trust, but if they lead to a crash and you send the drone in to DJI with those fake props on it, DJI wont be paying the repair bill, you will.
It seems like such a trivial thing, but prop failures, batteries not locked correctly, and compass errors are the 3 main causes of crashes, other than hitting an obstacle. In my opinion, it's not worth saving $2 - $3 buying fake props, when the DJI OEM props are great quality.

Last edited:
There are some rules I go by when it comes to props.
  1. The first things to wear out are the inner 3 prop hub tabs. They are the most fragile part of the prop. If the prop no longer "locks in to the groove" when installing it, like it did when it was new, it goes into the trash bin and get replaced with a new one.
  2. I think it's best to remove and inspect props before every flight, especially if they have been on there for a long time. It's the only way to know that all 3 prop hub tabs are not broken. The prop might stay locked in with one tab broken, but the results of a hard acceleration or deceleration could be catastrophic.
  3. If the metal rivets on the prop hub show any signs of oxidation, replace the prop. Oxidation can cause the rivets to limit the prop blades motion, and cause the motor to surge to try and create the lift the ESC is asking it to.
  4. If you hold the prop by its hub hole, with the blades extended horizontally, neither blade should move. This will insure the tightness of the rivets. If one blade should move, inspect the rivet end of the prop for cracks or abnormal wear.
  5. If your drone has crashed, replace all 4 props, especially if there is damage to any arm. Even though you might not see a defect in the prop, why take chances.
  6. Dont fly with a chipped or dented prop. It will not create as much lift as the others, and will make the motor work harder to keep up with the others.
  7. DONT BUY GENERIC PROPS. This should really be #1. There are some manufacturers who make props I would trust, but if they lead to a crash and you send the drone in to DJI with those fake props on it, DJI wont be paying the repair bill, you will.
It seems like such a trivial thing, but prop failures, batteries not locked correctly, and compass errors are the 3 main causes of crashes, other than hitting an obstacle. In my opinion, it's not worth saving $2 - $3 buying fake props, when the DJI OEM props are great quality.

Very good points!

The 3 locking tabs are only showing a tiny bit of surface wear, basically the rough finish is now shiny.

The props has only now started becoming more loose at the swivel pins, they were quite stiff at first.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23