DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop replacement - replace 1 or 2 or 4?

zlek131

Reactions
Noticed that one of my props has a chipped tip (pretty sure due to the tip catching on the rather tight DJI Mavic 2 shoulder bag when sliding the aircraft into the bag), the other 3 props are perfectly fine. Is it OK to replace just the damaged prop or should the paired prop be replaced as well or should all 4 props be replaced? Leaning towards all 4, kind of like tires. These are the original props with 19 hours on them. Thank you in advance for the advice. Last, figured this would be a common question but wasn’t finding any answers.
IMG_7502.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7501.JPG
    IMG_7501.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
My vote is all 4.
After time the plastic becomes fatigued, and they flex more and flatten out. The pids adjust for this but the values become maxed out.

I replace every 6-10 hrs, it restores that pop and precision. And props are inexpensive, how much is the mavic?

Just like new tires on a car. It’s where the plastic meets the air, or rubber meets the road. :)

Last edited:
Is it OK to replace just the damaged prop or should the paired prop be replaced as well or should all 4 props be replaced?
Yes, it's perfectly safe to replace only the props that are damaged.

Noticed that one of my props has a chipped tip (pretty sure due to the tip catching on the rather tight DJI Mavic 2 shoulder bag when sliding the aircraft into the bag), the other 3 props are perfectly fine. Is it OK to replace just the damaged prop or should the paired prop be replaced as well or should all 4 props be replaced? Leaning towards all 4, kind of like tires. These are the original props with 19 hours on them. Thank you in advance for the advice. Last, figured this would be a common question but wasn’t finding any answers.
View attachment 65317

Thats one reason why I hate the OEM DJI FM bag. It's hard to put the M2 with props into it. The props snag and the fabric, and makes it tough to get it out.

If the damage was caused by trying to get it out of the bag, or even a chip, you can replace 1. But as @TRuav said, there is no harm in replacing all of them since you already have around 70 or more flights on them. To me, the difference between $5 and $20 is not a deal breaker. You can keep the 3 unbroken ones as spares.

Thats one reason why I hate the OEM DJI FM bag. It's hard to put the M2 with props into it. The props snag and the fabric, and makes it tough to get it out.

That was the first thing I noticed with the M2 FM bag, so off came the props and on went the RBBB's (Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers or motor covers). It takes me a little longer to set up, but Moe (my M2) just slides in and out no worries.

RBBB's.jpg

Last edited:
I replace every 6-10 hrs, it restores that pop and precision. And props are inexpensive, how much is the mavic?

Can I have your old ones?

Reactions: built4thekil
Each prop' should stand on its own merits, so I'd not replace a full set of four in your case - just the one that's been damaged. Buy a set of four, but keep them in your kit bag as spares to replace the next one that gets its tip too close to a twig!
I'm becoming a fan of removing my prop's when stowing my Mav' Pro too - as I noticed that the prop's could get in positions that put them under pressure and they could end up distorted. Haven't yet got a set of bumpers like in the post #5 above ... They look like a good idea.

my take for what its worth with 19 hours on them i would go for all four, then check the undamaged ones for any signs of damage and keep them as spares, would be worth investing in a better bag for your mav, i just use the fly more bag that came with the mav for extra bits that dont fit in the other bag see attachmentsFHD0002.JPGFHD0003.JPG

my take for what its worth with 19 hours on them i would go for all four, then check the undamaged ones for any signs of damage and keep them as spares, would be worth investing in a better bag for your mav, i just use the fly more bag that came with the mav for extra bits that dont fit in the other bag see attachmentsView attachment 65365View attachment 65366
Could you please lighten up the photos a bit, I am having difficulty seeing what you have done. Thank you.

Each prop' should stand on its own merits, so I'd not replace a full set of four in your case - just the one that's been damaged. Buy a set of four, but keep them in your kit bag as spares to replace the next one that gets its tip too close to a twig!
I'm becoming a fan of removing my prop's when stowing my Mav' Pro too - as I noticed that the prop's could get in positions that put them under pressure and they could end up distorted. Haven't yet got a set of bumpers like in the post #5 above ... They look like a good idea.
I couldn't find any specific to the M2, just got a set for the MP and they work fine. I think they are called motor covers. I use them on my MA also.

Thanks for all the advice! BTW, I really do like the Mavic bag for its size and convenience, but yes I wish the drone would slide in a bit easier into it. I now started to pay close attention when I slide the drone in as well as pulling the side out a bit to give it more clearance.

Lol I just replaced a set of props after 200 hours, but that was after a slight miscalculation so 2 got damaged:p. They still looked like new

After time the plastic becomes fatigued, and they flex more and flatten out. The pids adjust for this but the values become maxed out.

Sounds like pure snake oil to me.

It's your money and you can do what you want, but replacing your props at what amounts to every 15-20 flights is excessive and unnecessary.

Reactions: TRuav
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter