DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller cage.

... Perhaps when DJI releases a firmware that allows you to switch between GPS and ATTI mode manually they'll be more useful.

Oh so I'm NOT crazy for looking for that switch or option.

What does the Prop cage setting on the App do?
Nevermind, I can't find it now anyway. Getting used to this menu system is, at best, taxing.
Changes the tuning to compensate for the different weight/inertia, possibily more.

No need to read, use your logic, that's basic multicopter tech. Helped by the reports of people who saw the Prop Cage setting be enabled automatically by mistake through a firmware update, resulting in wobble and instability which is exactly what happens when gains are set too high.

I still believe people should get some experience with setting up a DIY racing quad including adjusting PIDs on it before they wander into DJI's plug and play goodness... There would be so much more understanding and so much fewer stupid mistakes.

And they make the Mavic look so much better, NOT!!
Must have been designed by a separate team, the ones who usually use mops and cleaning fluids etc.
I don't know, I think they kinda look tuff.
Regards,
-d.

No need to read, use your logic, that's basic multicopter tech. Helped by the reports of people who saw the Prop Cage setting be enabled automatically by mistake through a firmware update, resulting in wobble and instability which is exactly what happens when gains are set too high.

I still believe people should get some experience with setting up a DIY racing quad including adjusting PIDs on it before they wander into DJI's plug and play goodness... There would be so much more understanding and so much fewer stupid mistakes.
I'm pretty sure there was reading involved somewhere along the way. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: sonof40
I bet everyone thought the OP was a bit silly when he had posted back in December about a Propeller Cage. DJI has listened and today Mavic Pilots now have the option to purchase the DJI Mavic Propeller Cage - Part 31. These will be $159 and we should see them in stock in about 2-3 weeks.
  • Clip on to the arm and the left side cages lock together for more sturdiness, along with the right side cages
  • There is a new prop design (7728) for these cages that have a 7.7" diameter and 2.8" thread. Compared to the regular 8330 which had a slightly larger diameter and thread.
  • 3 Pairs of the Props designed specifically for the cage are included with the cage (you'll have one extra set although if you're breaking a prop with a cage you've got bigger problems)
  • These come in at around 180 grams

DJI-Mavic-Propeller-Cage-Part-31_3.jpg

DJI-Mavic-Propeller-Cage-Part-31_1.jpg
DJI-Mavic-Propeller-Cage-Part-31_2.jpg

Reactions: dronetxgirl
For anyone who is planning on buying these, keep in mind that they are only designed to be used while flying in tripod mode. See more details in the Propeller Cage User Guide.

I'm pretty sure there was reading involved somewhere along the way. :)
Certainly. However even if I could still find the links I used to document myself when I started multicopters 10 years ago they'd likely not be valid anymore ;)

There's a ton more documentation available nowadays with the racing quad frenzy though, but I haven't followed.

DJI tech support never got back to me about what the setting in the app does.
However, now that I see the prop cage set works with smaller propellers, I bet it changes the rpm of the motor. compensating for the lost of lift from smaller props.
added weight and faster spinning motor = half of the flight time... hmmmm.

anyone with thoughts?

Reactions: Helo and sixthhour
Why is there a "propeller cage" toggle-option available for the Mavic in the DJI GO 4 app?

There are none available for this particular UAV, right?

MK

Attachments

• 20170212_123447.png
    20170212_123447.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
I ordered the cage last week to check it out. Originally stated a few days shipping, now I'm told over a month. Gotta hand it to DJI most incompetent shipping manufacturer I've ever dealt with.

Are these accepted methods of risk mitigation, ie. should i be legally able to fly closer to people than without cage would be possible? What's the FAAs opinion on this?

Reactions: Trevlam
Hi, I want to buy this and used in tripod mode but at same time flying Fixed-Wing mode, is it posslibe?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1