DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller Guards

Pawpaw Woody

Reactions
I am looking for the best prop guards for the Mavic Mini. Everything I find on Amazon has feedback saying “too tight on motors” or “doesn’t fit in DJI case etc.
Has anyone had good luck with a certain brand of guards? I would prefer the one’s that cover the props and motors without potentially damaging or putting
strain on motor assemblies!
Thanks

I am looking for the best prop guards for the Mavic Mini. Everything I find on Amazon has feedback saying “too tight on motors” or “doesn’t fit in DJI case etc.
Has anyone had good luck with a certain brand of guards? I would prefer the one’s that cover the props and motors without potentially damaging or putting
strain on motor assemblies!
Thanks
The DJI Mavic Mini Prop Guards are actually pretty nice for $19

Reactions: Thomas B
Go for DJI prop guard that provide total wrap around side coverage protecting props, arms, and sides plus almost total coverage to rear and front with no gimbal interference and are extremely light and inexpensive at $19 dollars. Only other guard that completely wraps around and covers the mini like a cage are made by PYG but are much heavier, bulkier, and more complex to put on and double cost of PYG ones.
As for cases Amazon has one made by flyekist for $40 that allows you to keep DJI prop guards on while stored in case. Rugged hard plastic shell with foam cutouts for precise form letting you keep guards on the Mini while it is in the case so when you remove MM you ready to fly. No extra wear and tear to Mini from constant putting on and removing guards each place you fly until your confident and advanced enough to fly without them. Since mini fits in this case with arms fully extended and dince guards stay on protecting blades there is no need to use blade holders to protect blades while in the case since blades are already protected by the guards.
Case is great looking and very functional if you carry prop guards each time you take the Mini for a flight and also to store them when they aren't being used!

Reactions: Thomas B
@ pawpaw - do you mean prop protectors when stored? Or prop guards when flying? I too am interested in the best prop protectors for storage that fit in the flymore case.

Reactions: TyP and KarMann
@ pawpaw - do you mean prop protectors when stored? Or prop guards when flying? I too am interested in the best prop protectors for storage that fit in the flymore case.
Nothing that fits the fly more cases offers the level of protection that DJI guards offer.

I suspect he’s talking about the rubber covers that stretch over the motors and props to hold them in place while the drone is folded.

He’s right, they are often tight and no good, likely damaging the motors over time. I have some looser fitting ones that work well and fit in the fly more case without issue. Amazon.com: (4 pcs) Upgrade Mavic Mini Propellers Holder,Silicone Props Fixator Protector, Blades Guard Stabilizer,DJI Mavic Mini Accessories: Toys & Games

..... prop guards for the Mavic Mini...... feedback saying “too tight on motors”

I am pretty sure that you meant prop holders. My recommendation is NOT to use any because number one, there is simple no such need. Number tow, using holders will put stress on the props ( not the motors ) and potentially deform them. There has been quite many crashes of Mini that were suspected to be caused by deformed props. Just make sure that the props are positioned as described in the user manual when putting the drone into the original case and the prop will get the best possible protection.

Nothing that fits the fly more cases offers the level of protection that DJI guards offer.
Unfortunately this is incorrect. The Mav Mini Fly More case is the leading cause of the 30128 Code (Propellor Rotating Too Fast) because storing the drone folded up leads to the rear props flattening over time. I upgraded to a RLSOCO brand case that allows me to store my Mini unfolded with zero pressure on any props.

storing the drone folded up leads to the rear props flattening over time.

The original case has got dedicated space for accomodating the props. Unless the props are not positioned to align with the space, the props will not be subject to any stress so deformation cannot occur.

It appears that the instructions that came with the drone has not been receiving much attention.

1602921787891.png

If you store it this way, prop deformation is almost guranteed :

1602921957606.png

Last edited:
The route I followed for solving the issues the mini has was to just give up and realize that it was not meant for me. I’ll stick with aircraft props that don’t resemble wet noodles and don’t require a magnifying glass to inspect the attachment device.

Reactions: ff22
The original case has got dedicated space for accommodating the props. Unless the props are not positioned to align with the space, the props will not be subject to any stress so deformation cannot occur.
The props are subjected to bending stress even if stored "properly" as shown in that carrying case. Folding the rear blades nested across the Mini's body forces the blades to bend, regardless of which carrying case or which style of prop protectors are used.

See these previous posts and test your own props:

What is causing blades to bend?
mavicpilots.com/threads/motor-speed-error-mavic-mini.86130/page-13#post-1038101

Hover test for checking condition of props.
mavicpilots.com/threads/motor-speed-error-mavic-mini.86130/page-13#post-1038918

Preventing recurring prop deformation.
mavicpilots.com/threads/motor-speed-error-mavic-mini.86130/page-14#post-1042991

Thanks all for the feedback. I think I will try storing as the manual suggests for the time being. See how it goes for awhile.

Once again. Thanks.

I think I will try storing as the manual suggests for the time being. See how it goes for awhile.
Of course, that choice is entirely up to you. But, just out of curiosity, which manual are you referring to?

The only place I could find where it says to store the Mini with arms folded and propeller blades crossed is on the sticker in the bottom of the Fly More Case. And, as shown in the first link above, the diagram on that sticker is obviously inaccurate as it's not possible to position the blades as shown.

The only way the Mini will fit into that Fly More case is with the blades crossed, unless you actually remove the propellers (which is not recommended as it disturbs the blue Loctite keeping the screws from falling out).

I can't find any reference in any of the manuals recommending the blades should be stored in the crossed position. In fact, every diagram in the manuals depicting the Mini with the arms folded instead shows the propeller blades positioned longitudinally alongside the Mini's body, not crossed over the body.

For example, see pg.2 of the Mini Quick Start Guide:
MiniQuickStartGuidePage2.jpg

Or, see page 6 & 7 of the Mavic Mini User Manual v1.0:
MiniUserManualPage6-7.jpg

Page 19 of the Mavic Mini User Manual v1.0 specifically warns,
"DO NOT squeeze or bend the propeller blades during transportation or storage."

MiniUserManualPage18-19.jpg

Even the little animation on DJI's website shows the Mini folding its arms and ending with the propeller blades positioned longitudinally, not crossed.

AmsFolded.jpg

Reactions: Ian in London
The props are subjected to bending stress even if stored "properly" as shown in that carrying case.

The uncommanded descent problem of the mini is caused by prop flattening ( pitch change ), not prop bending. I am not convinced that the barely noticeble bending demonstrated in your photo can cause any problem.

...Even the little animation on DJI's website shows the Mini folding its arms and ending with the propeller blades positioned longitudinally, not crossed.

View attachment 115243
That DJI website animation shows the Mini always stored vertically in thatdome with props hanging loosely pulled downward by gravity while Minis in cases are aligned horizontally in case with gravity pulling blades down horizontally during storage,

Last edited:
That animation shows the Mini always stored vertically in thatdome with props hanging loosely pulled downward by gravity while Minis in cases are aligned horizontally in case with gravity pulling blades down horizontally during storage,
Interesting observation.

The uncommanded descent problem of the mini is caused by prop flattening ( pitch change ), ...
Correct !

... caused by prop flattening ( pitch change ), not prop bending.
Prop bending is what causes the pitch change.

I am not convinced that the barely noticeable bending demonstrated in your photo can cause any problem.
I wasn't convinced at first either. In fact, it was only noticeable that the original blades were indeed bent when directly comparing them to brand new replacement blades.

I had always carefully stored mine "properly" nested in the Fly More case. It was only the introduction of the new Motor Speed Error warning in firmware v01.00.0500 that prompted me to take a closer look at the propeller blades. There was nothing visibly wrong with the original blades. No knicks, no gouges, no scratches. They looked perfectly pristine.

But the warning recommended changing the left-rear blades, so I did. That's when I could see the obvious difference. You say the difference is "barely noticeable" in my photo. But it is noticeable.

If your rear blades slide effortlessly to nest together when folded across the Mini's body, then it's a sure bet they're already bent. New straight replacement blades cannot be nested together without bending because of the outward angle at which the rear motors are mounted.

The blade bending can be very subtle. If you are still skeptical that such a barely noticeable bending of the prop blades can cause sufficient prop flattening and pitch reduction to affect motor speeds, a very simple and conclusive measure is the hover test.

The data plots of my motor speeds proved conclusively that the original propeller blades had lost pitch angle, as described in my second link above.

Find an open space, preferably indoors to eliminate any wind interference. Press auto-takeoff, let the Mini hover hands-free for a few minutes, then press auto-land. Plot the motor speeds from your DAT file using CsvView. See this recent post for instructions. Or if you can't figure how to do that, send me your DAT file and I'll plot the motor speeds for you.

With healthy new props installed, each of the Mini's motors should run at about 9600rpm in hover. If your blades have lost pitch angle, the motors must run faster to generate the required lift. If your blades are significantly deformed the motors will eventually reach high enough rpm to trigger the Motor Speed (or Propeller Speed) Error warning with recommendation to replace the blades. If you ignore that warning, you may eventually encounter a situation where the motors are unable to run any faster to generate the lift required to stay airborne and the Mini will suffer the dreaded "uncommanded descent".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes