DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller label for FAA

Jaysjob

Reactions
I was just wondering your thoughts on the required exterior labeling back in effect. Is there any reason I can’t simply write my number on one of the props with a sharpie?

I was just wondering your thoughts on the required exterior labeling back in effect. Is there any reason I can’t simply write my number on one of the props with a sharpie?
Although the FAA did not specify which part of the drone the label should go on, the prop is likely to fail the easy to read requirement.
But since the prop is easily removed or damaged in a crash, it doesn't sound like a good idea anyway.

You cannot see a spinning prop. The placement of the number is for someone e to record the number for reporting purposes.

You cannot see a spinning prop. The placement of the number is for someone e to record the number for reporting purposes.

The purpose of the new regulation seems to be for the authorities to be able to easily determine ownership (without needing to open a a compartment) of the drone when it is found on the ground. There is no requirement that the ID number be visible during flight itself. That said, writing the ID number on an easily broken component like a prop seems like a bad idea, like Meta4 said.

Is there any reason I can’t simply write my number on one of the props with a sharpie?
In the External Marking Requirement for Small Unmanned Aircraft rule, the FAA states the following:

"This interim final rule requires small unmanned aircraft owners to display the unique identifier assigned by the FAA upon completion of the registration process (registration number) on an external surface of the aircraft"

"the FAA required that the registration number marking be readily accessible and maintained in a condition that is readable and legible upon close visual inspection"

"Requiring small unmanned aircraft owners to place the registration number on an external surface of the aircraft helps to mitigate this risk because a first responder can view the number without handling the aircraft, or by using other technologies that allow for remote viewing of the aircraft's external surface."

Since the number would not be readable when the props are spinning, the props are not a surface of the aircraft, and/or the props could be separated from the aircraft before inspection, I don't think the FAA would approve of marking the props.

Reactions: BigAl07
I wouldn't opt for that surface to write the Reg#. You're just asking for issues and it's just not worth the hassle. I think @msinger summed it up perfectly.

Reactions: msinger
It would be easy to read an FAA number on a prop. I wouldnt do it, but a prop is an integral part of the drone.
... except that it needs to be reapplied if props are changed, which is inevitable. Personably I agree with above posts that the intent is legibility. I personally interpreted this as not only on the ground but while in flight even though not currently listed as such by FAA.

I personally interpreted this as not only on the ground but while in flight even though not currently listed as such by FAA.
It is mentioned in this section of the rule:

"Requiring small unmanned aircraft owners to place the registration number on an external surface of the aircraft helps to mitigate this risk because a first responder can view the number without handling the aircraft, or by using other technologies that allow for remote viewing of the aircraft's external surface."

Reactions: Thomas B
... except that it needs to be reapplied if props are changed, which is inevitable. Personably I agree with above posts that the intent is legibility. I personally interpreted this as not only on the ground but while in flight even though not currently listed as such by FAA.
It is impossible even with binoculars to see a 1" letter at more than 5'. So from legibility purposes, maybe they should have a neon sign on the side of the drone lol

So what would it take to show the FAA number after changing props, my estimate is one minute with a Sharpie pen.

Reactions: STUFF2C
Back in the day, the FAA's original intention on full scale aircraft for exterior numbered identification was that so the control tower could see the aircraft and give them direction. It's still common for full scale aircraft to be visually identified by their tail numbers. The only reason that I could think of that the FAA wants exterior identification on drones is after the fact to identify the drone, not while it's in the air.

Last edited:
The purpose of the new regulation seems to be for the authorities to be able to easily determine ownership (without needing to open a a compartment) of the drone when it is found on the ground. There is no requirement that the ID number be visible during flight itself. That said, writing the ID number on an easily broken component like a prop seems like a bad idea, like Meta4 said.

It just doesnt take that long to rewrite an FAA number on a prop.

It would seem obvious Jaysjob doesn't want to deface the Mavic by writing on it, and so, is thinking of writing the number on a blade. Great idea. And Thunderdrone's right, it only takes a minute to reapply the number. What no one has yet mentioned: does the solvent chemical in the "Sharpie" degrade the plastic of the blade and start a weak spot on the blade. I work for a large telecomm and we are not allowed to write on our plastic hard hats for that very reason.

It would seem obvious Jaysjob doesn't want to deface the Mavic by writing on it, and so, is thinking of writing the number on a blade. Great idea. And Thunderdrone's right, it only takes a minute to reapply the number. What no one has yet mentioned: does the solvent chemical in the "Sharpie" degrade the plastic of the blade and start a weak spot on the blade. I work for a large telecomm and we are not allowed to write on our plastic hard hats for that very reason.

Very good point. We had this problem several years ago when people were using Loc-Tite on the prop screws. The Loc-Tite was causing a weak spot which soon lead to Prop Failures in flight.

I have used these test props for over 2 years and many test flights. I write on them to make sure I dont accidentally send them to customers. My answer is no, a Sharpie wont degrade the plastic, but your luck may vary. I have also etched "test prop" with my etcher, no harm done.

Attachments

• Test props.jpg
    Test props.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: Jaysjob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members