DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller label for FAA

Well there it is, emperical evidence. Thank you for sharing. I'm extremely impressed with the toughness of the material used in these blades, I tried to finish tearing a blade that got damaged and cracked, it's tough stuff.

Well there it is, emperical evidence. Thank you for sharing. I'm extremely impressed with the toughness of the material used in these blades, I tried to finish tearing a blade that got damaged and cracked, it's tough stuff.

The props are a really good balance between flexibility, stiffness, and durability. If an owner gets mad and wants to tear something up, trying to tear up a prop will just make him madder.

Reactions: Pietros
I appreciate all your comments and opinions. It is a very interesting topic.

So from what I know from the current regulations and the opinions here I’m going to go ahead and put my FAA number on the exterior this way for a few reasons.

The rule does not say it has to be visible from the ground while in the air. If they enact that rule then things will be different but I doubt believe this is the case right now.

As far as being used for identification after a crash? Yes. You might break a blade. I’ve crashed with and without breaking a prop. To be as close to compliance as possible I’ll simply write it on all four props. Not just one. I have never had all four break off but I guess anything is possible.

I’m also adding the date the prop was put into service while I’m at it as an easy way to keep track of such things.

Again, thank you for your comments both for and against.

Reactions: Former Member
The rule does not say it has to be visible from the ground while in the air. If they enact that rule then things will be different but I doubt believe this is the case right now.
While the rule doesn't mention the props cannot be marked, it's pretty clear that the FAA wants the registration number to be visible at all times.

From the FAA website:

I appreciate all your comments and opinions. It is a very interesting topic.

So from what I know from the current regulations and the opinions here I’m going to go ahead and put my FAA number on the exterior this way for a few reasons.

As far as being used for identification after a crash? Yes. You might break a blade. I’ve crashed with and without breaking a prop. To be as close to compliance as possible I’ll simply write it on all four props. Not just one. I have never had all four break off but I guess anything is possible.

I’m also adding the date the prop was put into service while I’m at it as an easy way to keep track of such things.

Again, thank you for your comments both for and against.

Thats a great idea. Mark the date the prop was place into service on the prop. Also, I used a silver magic marker but they sell all different colored Sharpies. White would contrast nicely with the black.

You could use something like this:

Amazon.com: Sharpie Permanent Paint Marker, Fine Point, White: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Reactions: kadras and Jaysjob
I use a #2 pencil and write it on the top of 4 blades (one side of each set). I figure even in a bad crash one should survive. Cheaper than a sharpie too.

So when you crash your drone into tree, car, house, body what ever and the the prop (props) breaks off and is lost in the crash or the number is not read able from the crash there's now noway to hold you responsible because your ID # is no where to be found. Why not just order some of those clear decals offered by a few here and put them on your drones battery or a leg or something.

I have my contact information in the battery compartment

it needs to be visible from the outside not hidden
Only the FAA registration number needs to be visible on the exterior of the aircraft.

Reactions: Thomas B
Just the FAA #'s need to be outside. I put my contact information on the inside

Maybe I should write that on the props... contact information inside the battery compartment. Lots of room with a #2 pencil. Stays put too.

sorry I misread thought you met reg number my bad. do you think most people with no drone knowledge know how to remove a battery ?

Internet has all the answers ?

do you think most people with no drone knowledge know how to remove a battery ?
That's a good point. If someone wants their drone to be returned, the outside of the aircraft would be the most logical place to attach that information.

Guys, if you have a skin, be careful about putting any stickers on it. Even the Ptouch labels I use to tag repair drones can stick pretty good on a skin and not want to let go.

Maybe someone has a better place to put them.

Last edited:
Here you are updated after the latest firmware update test flight... #2 pencil20190417_193304.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000