DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proper ND filters and settings

Does anyone just sell a single filter? I need one for snow, but everyone has filter packs for sale.

I'd actually like to try the DJI ones as they seem light and easiest to install, but shipping times are pretty long so I'm guessing they are not actually shipping yet.

Does anyone just sell a single filter? I need one for snow, but everyone has filter packs for sale.
I'd actually like to try the DJI ones as they seem light and easiest to install, but shipping times are pretty long so I'm guessing they are not actually shipping yet.
Single filter special orders: [email protected]
-Jeff

I use the ND4 all the time, whenever shutter is natively at 1/240th which is generally under a cloudy sky, or during the golden hours, which is my favorite time to film :)
-Jeff

I have a, perhaps, dumb question. Aren't polarized filters best for bright, highly reflective environments (i.e. water, snow)? And in these cases you normally also want something like an ND32 filter. So why do you offer the polarized option on all but your ND32? Is it a technical limitation? Or am I just thinking about this wrong..?

I have a, perhaps, dumb question. Aren't polarized filters best for bright, highly reflective environments (i.e. water, snow)? And in these cases you normally also want something like an ND32 filter. So why do you offer the polarized option on all but your ND32? Is it a technical limitation? Or am I just thinking about this wrong..?

Polarizer filters help reduce glare, increase color saturation and contrast, even on cloudy days, a polarizer reduces glare off of reflective surfaces. So a polarizer is helpful in pretty much any lighting condition. An ND4/PL is generally going to be your golden hour filter which is a very important time to film, ND8/PL is generally a partly cloudy and mildly sunny day filter, and an ND16/PL should cover most bright and Sunny days (up to when your camera is shooting at 1/1000th natively). It was more important for us to include a filter for the golden hours when lighting is best for cinematography. However the good news is we have a lot of limited edition filters in the pipeline for users who want the stronger ND/PL filters :)

-Jeff

Well your shutter speed should be twice your frame rate while shooting video for example, your using 60 frames a second your shutter speed should be 1/120 of a sec. Just like Robert said. You can achieve theses while using N natural D dentistry filters.

Neutral, not natrual.

And "density", not dentistry. LOL

Well your shutter speed should be twice your frame rate while shooting video for example, your using 60 frames a second your shutter speed should be 1/120 of a sec. Just like Robert said. You can achieve theses while using N natural D dentistry filters.

And "density", not dentistry. LOL

Natural dentistry filters is a new homeopathic remedy. It's all the rage these days.

haha! thanks for all the replies guys! I have already got some really cool much improved footage quality from your advice! Using nd16 and well 200 iso 1/60 shutter speed! maybe next time ill try 100iso as I am hearing lower is better

Also remember that a true polarizer has a filter factor usually between 1.25 and 2 stops (I'm going to take a spot meter to my polarpros and read the true filter factor). So a Pola/ND16 is equivalent or maybe slightly greater than a ND32.

Do PLs have much effect on post production?

Do PLs have much effect on post production?

They make grading harder for video. If you rotate the drone the polarizing effect changes, so you have to adjust your grading each time the drone angle changes w/ respect to the sun.

For pictures it won't matter.

Reactions: sonof40
Also remember that a true polarizer has a filter factor usually between 1.25 and 2 stops (I'm going to take a spot meter to my polarpros and read the true filter factor). So a Pola/ND16 is equivalent or maybe slightly greater than a ND32.

You are correct that PL's are about a 1.5 stop reduction.
Our ND4/PL is the equivalent to and ND4, ND8/PL equivalent to an ND8 and so on,

Jeff

You are correct that PL's are about a 1.5 stop reduction.
Our ND4/PL is the equivalent to and ND4, ND8/PL equivalent to an ND8 and so on,

Jeff

Oh gotcha I didn't know that. That would definitely explain why the calculations in my head and the numbers in the Go app never agreed!

150$ for a set of filters? do you really spend your money like that? sorry.. I prefer to have, maybe, less quality video than spend 150$ for those filters...

Sent from my R7plusf using Tapatalk

150$ for a set of filters? do you really spend your money like that? sorry.. I prefer to have, maybe, less quality video than spend 150$ for those filters...

Yes actually that is how I spend my money. Been working and making a living in the motion picture industry for 28 years now and if I've learned anything it is your image is only as good as what it's passing through to get to the film (or these days sensor). Without ND filters on these fixed aperature cameras your footage will more often than not be unusable due to rolling shutter as opposed to less quality as you say.

Sure there are cheaper options out there and less expensive ones as well.:)

Yes actually that is how I spend my money. Been working and making a living in the motion picture industry for 28 years now and if I've learned anything it is your image is only as good as what it's passing through to get to the film (or these days sensor). Without ND filters on these fixed aperature cameras your footage will more often than not be unusable due to rolling shutter as opposed to less quality as you say.

Sure there are cheaper options out there and less expensive ones as well.:)
in ur case.. ok.. you'll make money with those footage.. but for amatorial / hobbyist 150$ just for filters.. way too much! as u said probably some cheap but still ok filters will make it still acceptable

What is recommended then, PL or non-PL, multi-coat or non-multi-coat or is it a matter of taste?

What is recommended then, PL or non-PL, multi-coat or non-multi-coat or is it a matter of taste?
It is a matter of taste to a degree. Polarised for when you wish to reduce glare from reflections and to add more pop to clouds. But only when at or around a 90deg angle to the Sun. As for multi coated glass, this may help reduce internal glare from the filter itself which is always a good thing. I already have a set of standard ND's and a circular polariser. And now have on order a set of the Cinema Series polarised ND's.
It's about choosing a filter that's right for the conditions at that moment in time, to give you the effect you're seeking. And this may be a totally different look that everyone else is seeking...

Reactions: sonof40
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705