DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proper ND filters and settings

Reactions
Hi so I have the Taco Rc ND filter set but I am not sure which ones are good for where and when. What do you guys use each filter for? Why would you use a nd4 vs ND16 etc? Also what settings do you guys use like 4k or 2.7k 30fps? Manual or automatic settings? I'm trying to also find which filter is the most versatile so I can leave one on and not take off and on so much as to not risk hurting gimbal so much. Any info is MUCH appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MavicPilots mobile app

I use manual because it locks the settings in for a particular scene.

Pick the lowest ISO possible, then use the ND filter which brings your shutter speed down to apx 2x your frame rate.
I.E. for 30fps you would want your filter to produce around 1/60 sec.

For rule of thumb, use an ND32 for bright snow or sand scenes, an ND16 for most bright scenes and an ND8 for dimmer or shade scenes.

If you are removing/replacing your filters with the gimbal off, and well supported, you wont damage your gimbal. I am assuming you are using the lightweight "leave on during start" type of filters.

I use my ND16 the majority of the time.

Last edited:
I'm also trying to decide which filter to buy.
From what I understand there is no filter you could leave permanently on. The idea of using an ND filter is to reduce the amount of light that passes through the lens in order to control the shutter speeds.

You will have to select the ND filter based on how bright is the moment you 'll flight.

The question I have which brand and what model is the lightest in weight. Because the gimbal is so fragile and subject to any overload. I have my mind set on the Polar Pro Cinematic Serie for now.

Happy Flying
Brewsky

From what I understand there is no filter you could leave permanently on. The idea of using an ND filter is to reduce the amount of light that passes through the lens in order to control the shutter speeds.

You will have to select the ND filter based on how bright is the moment you 'll flight.
Both the Polar Pro cinema series and the Taco RC (maybe others) make a filter which can be left on permanently even during start up, with no effect on the gimbal.

Last edited:
Well your shutter speed should be twice your frame rate while shooting video for example, your using 60 frames a second your shutter speed should be 1/120 of a sec. Just like Robert said. You can achieve theses while using N natural D dentistry filters.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The question I have which brand and what model is the lightest in weight. Because the gimbal is so fragile and subject to any overload. I have my mind set on the Polar Pro Cinematic Serie for now.

Happy Flying
Brewsky

Tacos are .7 grams each, PolarPros are 1.4 grams. I have both and like the PolarPros only because they have Polarizer/Neutral Density combos. They are MUCH harder to remove than the Tacos though. As stated above you can leave both on at startup.

DJI sells a set that I had purchased that clip on , small light weight, not no gimbal problems. However have not gotten them yet. See DJI web site.

You will probably never use the ND4 or ND8 on your Mavic if you're following the 180 degree shutter rule. It's been my experience that you'll get zero usable footage in any settings other than 4k or 2.7k (24 or 30) which means that your shutter speed (in Manual) will ride between 1/50 and 1/60. I purchased the Neewer set from Amazon for $32. Although you will not be able to leave it on during start-up, I don't care about that - it was half the price of anything else that had an ND32, which you'll need.

Happy Flying
Brewsky
Polar Pros are great but Taco's are a tad bit lighter. I wound up with both. If you go for Tacos, make sure you get the ND-MC (which means multicoated) as they use the highest quality glass.

Reactions: Brewsky666
I WOULD LOVE TO have an ND filter in a form of a Gimbal Globe Cover!
Please someone make it!
It would not interfere with gimbal movements, would be easy to install and would serve as extra level of protection -just like the current cover does.
It would be cool to have few of these gimbal covers made out of quality plastic: clear, ND8, ND16, ND32

Polar Pros are great but Taco's are a tad bit lighter. I wound up with both. If you go for Tacos, make sure you get the ND-MC (which means multicoated) as they use the highest quality glass.
Thnx I will take that into consideration.

(have my mind set on the Taco's for now...:)

Reactions: USPilot
You will probably never use the ND4 or ND8 on your Mavic if you're following the 180 degree shutter rule. It's been my experience that you'll get zero usable footage in any settings other than 4k or 2.7k (24 or 30) which means that your shutter speed (in Manual) will ride between 1/50 and 1/60. I purchased the Neewer set from Amazon for $32. Although you will not be able to leave it on during start-up, I don't care about that - it was half the price of anything else that had an ND32, which you'll need.

I've gotten great footage shot at 1080p 30fps. Yes 1080p 60fps is crap due to the binning as the sensor down samples the signal. What issues have you seen shooting 1080 30?

Reactions: Insul8Man
Great. I just bought the polar pro set that comes with ND4, ND8 and ND16. By the sound of it from this discussion, they should drop the ND4 and add an ND32.
I always thought the ND32 sounded extreme and wouldn't need it. I assumed the 16 would be good for sunny day snow stuff in the mountains... but sounds like I should have a 32. Always... just when I think I'm done spending money on this thing.... :eek:

All of our Mavic filters have been updated and can be left on 100% of the time:
PolarPro | DJI Mavic Filters

Let me know if you have any questions on them!
-Jeff

Great. I just bought the polar pro set that comes with ND4, ND8 and ND16. By the sound of it from this discussion, they should drop the ND4 and add an ND32.
I always thought the ND32 sounded extreme and wouldn't need it. I assumed the 16 would be good for sunny day snow stuff in the mountains... but sounds like I should have a 32. Always... just when I think I'm done spending money on this thing.... :eek:

I use the ND4 all the time, whenever shutter is natively at 1/240th which is generally under a cloudy sky, or during the golden hours, which is my favorite time to film :)
-Jeff

Reactions: Stivako
I use the ND4 all the time, whenever shutter is natively at 1/240th which is generally under a cloudy sky, or during the golden hours, which is my favorite time to film :)
-Jeff
Interesting. I like the golden hours too, but I thought that I shouldn't have an ND at all during that time or cloudy days. Well, my filters arrive today, so I will soon get to find out for myself.

Interesting. I like the golden hours too, but I thought that I shouldn't have an ND at all during that time or cloudy days. Well, my filters arrive today, so I will soon get to find out for myself.

ND filters are used to lower your shutter speed to double frame rate. So any time your camera is shooting 1/240th or more, you can use a filter (ND4 in that case).

We have an app that might help you out too:

IOS: Filter Calculator on the App Store

Android: Filter Calculator - Android Apps on Google Play

Well your shutter speed should be twice your frame rate while shooting video for example, your using 60 frames a second your shutter speed should be 1/120 of a sec. Just like Robert said. You can achieve theses while using N natural D dentistry filters.

Neutral, not natrual.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure