DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Zoom In/Out vs Focal Length

MRomine

Reactions
Is there a DJI manual dedicated to operating the Camera on the Mavic 3 Pro? I'd like to know more about the differences between the settings in the RC Pro for: Zoom In/Out vs Focal Length settings.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jonathan A
Is there a DJI manual dedicated to operating the Camera on the Mavic 3 Pro? I'd like to know more about the differences between the settings in the RC Pro for: Zoom In/Out vs Focal Length settings.

Thank you
The focal lengths on the three cameras are fixed at 24, 70, and 166 mm (equivalent). Focal length is fixed for each of the three cameras and cannot be changed. The zoom function is merely digital zoom, which just crops the outer pixels from an image to produce an "enlarged" image.

The focal lengths on the three cameras are fixed at 24, 70, and 166 mm (equivalent). Focal length is fixed for each of the three cameras and cannot be changed. The zoom function is merely digital zoom, which just crops the outer pixels from an image to produce an "enlarged" image.
Thank you for responding earlier today.

So, many more questions. I don't know if you can help or not.

So in your answer above does that apply both in video as well as still photo mode?

When using the RC Pro (and maybe it is this way on the regular RC too I don't know) the 1x, 3x and 7x that you can manually tap and select, is that selecting the camera fixed at either 24, 70 or 166 mm or is that selecting the zoom? Whichever one that is selecting either the camera or the zoom, how do you select the other option?

I know that in the Button customization you can assign either the 'Zoom in/out' option or you can assign the 'Adjust Focal Length' option to a button of your choice. Is that the only way that you can switch between the Zoom vs Camera Focal Length?

Thank you for responding earlier today.

So, many more questions. I don't know if you can help or not.

So in your answer above does that apply both in video as well as still photo mode?
Yes, the three cameras each shoot both still photos and video.
When using the RC Pro (and maybe it is this way on the regular RC too I don't know) the 1x, 3x and 7x that you can manually tap and select, is that selecting the camera fixed at either 24, 70 or 166 mm or is that selecting the zoom?
Yes, that selects which camera is active, for both still photos and video.

I know that in the Button customization you can assign either the 'Zoom in/out' option or you can assign the 'Adjust Focal Length' option to a button of your choice. Is that the only way that you can switch between the Zoom vs Camera Focal Length?
You can use the right control wheel (default setting) to digitally zoom within each camera's range. If you change the controller mode to Explore mode, the wheel will move through the full zoom range and change from one camera to another from 1 to 28X, with 1x to 3X for the wide angle camera, 3 to 7X for the medium telephoto , and 7 to 28X for the telephoto.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

You can use the right control wheel (default setting) to digitally zoom within each camera's range. If you change the controller mode to Explore mode, the wheel will move through the full zoom range and change from one camera to another from 1 to 28X, with 1x to 3X for the wide angle camera, 3 to 7X for the medium telephoto , and 7 to 28X for the telephoto.
For further clarification, while recording video, unless you change into Explorer Mode from Normal mode, while in Normal mode, you cannot switch between cameras without first stopping and restarting the video recording.

In other words, the amount of pixels in the camera is the deciding factor. What can be done with a digital zoom in the camera can be done in post processing with cropping.

It's one of the icons in a vertical row on the right side of the screen, with photo, video, panorama, ... See page 89 of the manual. Do you have a copy?

View attachment 174729
Yes I have a copy but we must have different versions. In my copy the Shooting Modes appear on page #93. My manual is copyrighted 2023.

Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

Of course this discussion unveils the fact that I have never ready the entire manual. :cool:

• Love
Yes I have a copy but we must have different versions. In my copy the Shooting Modes appear on page #93. My manual is copyrighted 2023.

Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

Of course this discussion unveils the fact that I have never ready the entire manual. :cool:
It's also a good idea to regularly check for newer versions of the manual, which will explain changes in functionality implemented by newer FW versions, and clarify confusion present in earlier versions of the manual. They get better over time.

In other words, the amount of pixels in the camera is the deciding factor. What can be done with a digital zoom in the camera can be done in post processing with cropping.
Except the digital zoom can often reveal subjects during flight to focus upon, that you would not have otherwise noticed, without the digital zoom.

Explore Mode is great for exploring, and especially important for SAR where quickly identifying whether you are actually looking at a human or a human-like bush or other object is critical. It's not always about image quality and number of pixels, when you can digitally zoom from afar without always having to fly closer to realize it isn't the missing person.

Reactions: KLJ5
It's also a good idea to regularly check for newer versions of the manual, which will explain changes in functionality implemented by newer FW versions, and clarify confusion present in earlier versions of the manual. They get better over time.
Yes, it is. I had version 1.0, 2023.04. I've just downloaded version 1.2, 2023.09.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue