DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pros or Cons using an iPad

Reactions: Jeffm912
The “WiFi- only” iPad does not contain a GPS receiver, however, the homepoint is set by the drones GPS unit and is passed to the app. So while if you don’t move from the homepoint while flying you’ll be fine as the homepoint and the remote location can be used interchangeably. But if you move from the home point while flying you won’t be able to update the homepoint to your new location.
I don't know about that.......if Google Maps shows my location as I travel, doesn't that mean I have a gps?

EDIT:
Duh! (accompanied by palm-slap to the forehead)
I do indeed have a cellular iPad. My wife, who bought it as a gift for me many moons ago, reminded me that she made a one-time cellular payment ($50, she thinks) which provided lifetime Verizon cellular service--no phone calls, though. She worked for Verizon at the time and the lifetime cellular connection was a job bonus.
I stand corrected!

Last edited:
Reactions: brett8883
I don't know about that.......if Google Maps shows my location as I travel, doesn't that mean I have a gps?
0290FDEF-ACF8-41F9-9E4B-E462C03EC1A4.png
iPad mini specs
Only the WiFi + cellular has the GPS and GLONASS receiver. The wi-fi only version can triangulate itself based on wi-if networks it can pick up that do have location data even if the iPad doesn’t connect to those networks. Maybe this is what you are experiencing?

Worth noting that the specs for the iPad mini, regular iPad, and also the iPad Pro all have this same difference between the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi+cellular models when it comes to GPS receivers.

Attachments

• 3C64A028-468B-44CA-B9BD-884256940140.png
    3C64A028-468B-44CA-B9BD-884256940140.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 20
The “WiFi- only” iPad does not contain a GPS receiver, however, the homepoint is set by the drones GPS unit and is passed to the app. So while if you don’t move from the homepoint while flying you’ll be fine as the homepoint and the remote location can be used interchangeably. But if you move from the home point while flying you won’t be able to update the homepoint to your new location.

Great info.
To expand on what he said, someone posted here that there is an app called "Here WeGo" that saves map data to a wi-fi only ipad.
Alternatively, Bluetooth GPS devices could be paired to such ipads as well.

I started out using my iPhone. It was just too small to see everything going on. I’ve recently started using my iPad mini. Wonderful! If you go that route, go ahead and get a sun shield for it. That makes it even better.

Also with the mini without cellular got warning re flying near airport but couldn’t get rid of the warning from the screen

My biggest con is the cable Ijust put a second new one on this morning and this afternoon I'm getting no image signal again , I jiggle the cable and the image pops on and off. this is a brand new mini4 and a brand new cable. If I hook up my phone with cpin no connection problems .

Check out GameStop for refurbished ipads and get one with cell capability because it has a built-in GPS. I tether my cell phone to mine so I get real time maps. I've purchased both an iPad 4 mini and a iPad 9.7 pro refurbished from GameStop. Both work fantastic and like new condition at a much cheaper price! The larger displays are great and buy a MavMount tablet holder and PGYTECH sunshade... U won't regret it!
I use this setup with my P4P, MavAir and M2P

That's an interesting concept. I have never downloaded a map or had wifi connected when flying but I always have a detailed map on screen. My ipad must be special then. This is first hand knowledge not what I read somewhere to be true.

Jeff
Same here. I have an ipad mini 4 with WiFi only. Everytime I fly I have my map showing and I've never downloaded anything map related.

Reactions: ssvdh66
I'm like most others here professing the iPad mini as I have one too. I've also tried to upgrade to a 9.7" iPad, but unfortunately, there seems to be no case and pencil holder (built into the case) that can be accommodated with a tablet holder. At least I haven't found it yet. So if someone out there knows, please share.

Hi Guy's,
I used to fly all three DJI drones with an iPad mini 3 but as the Go4 app became more involved the iPad mini 3 couldn't keep up, so I bought an iPad 6th generation 9.7" and this thing handles all three flawlessly, yea it's a bit large but on the Mavic Pro Plat. I bought the extenders that fit over the arms that would normally hold a phone which lifts the iPad up and over the RC and works perfectly. I would never go back to an Android after IOS.... Happy Flying
SteveP55

You can tell if an iPad has a cellular modem and GPS chip by looking at the back of the case at the top. Cellular/GPS iPads will have a black plastic rectangle near the top. That allows the cellular and GPS antenna to see outside of the case. If the case back is all metal, it does not have cellular/GPS.

I have been using my cell phone and thinking about moving to an iPad Mini to increase my view. Is it an easy change? How about connection issues? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have a Mavic Pro.

I did just the opposite, from an iPad to my Samsung Note 8.
I primarily shoot just video and like to put an audio commentary with it. The iPad often hid the commented track and only gave the the video with no audio. Also had the problem of it splitting it into 500kb sectors which I had to combine to have the full flight in one video. With the Note 8 my commented video is in the photo gallery when I land, ready for upload to Google photos.

YMMV

I knocked up this little holder for the iPad mini4. Locks the iPad to controller so you don’t feel like your going to loose it. Simple elastic between the two. Keeps the USB cord out of the way also.
Would be great if someone could make one up with a 3D printer. image.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: medic2medic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4