DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PSA- Apache 3800 case on sale $29

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone in the US who needs a good medium size hard shell case for cheap Harbor Freight Tools has the Apache 3800 on sale for $29. I got an orange one today (pictured right) which stands next to the smaller 2800 which I've had for awhile and carries my entire mini kit. While the Apaches only come with pick n pluck foam, they are bargain when you compare them with Pelican cases which are exponentially more expensive and only are of marginally better quality (I have Pelican too and can state that with confidence. The same case sells on Amazon for $64. They are available in black, orange and tan as far as I know.

1617666525379.png

I got my Apache 3800 on sale for $45.00 and I thought I did well. Congratulations!

I got my Apache 3800 on sale for $45.00 and I thought I did well. Congratulations!
What's cool about this case is that I can take the instert from my semi-hard case and just plop it into the 3800 if I want something more rugged for travel. Or (when I had my Mini 1) I could get both drone kits into it! I'm not sure I could do that with the Mini 2 with the controller that got put on growth hormones. I might try it at some point though. I did not include the foam in the 2nd shot, but I did cut some for it.

I had returned the black one for a tan one, and just purchased the orange one pictured above. I need to find a nice sheet of foam from something else to repurpose. Good foam costs as much as the darned shell! IMG-3174.JPGIMG-3170.JPG

What's cool about this case is that I can take the instert from my semi-hard case and just plop it into the 3800 if I want something more rugged for travel. Or (when I had my Mini 1) I could get both drone kits into it! I'm not sure I could do that with the Mini 2 with the controller that got put on growth hormones. I might try it at some point though. I did not include the foam in the 2nd shot, but I did cut some for it.

I had returned the black one for a tan one, and just purchased the orange one pictured above. I need to find a nice sheet of foam from something else to repurpose. Good foam costs as much as the darned shell! View attachment 126874View attachment 126875

Harbor Freight sells the replacement foam for their Apache cases...its in the description of the website for the cases...under replacements parts...the foam goes for about $20 or soo

Harbor Freight sells the replacement foam for their Apache cases...its in the description of the website for the cases...under replacements parts...the foam goes for about $20 or soo
The replacement foam is "pick n pluck" so not very durable, though relatively easily customizable. Also $20. Kind of pricey for $2 worth of foam. I'm sure if one looks hard enough you can find foam that's been used for other purposes. Perhaps go dumpster diving at a Guitar Center or Computer store and I'll bet there is some foam there from time to time. But perhaps sometime more in line with what is available commercially can be made for much cheaper. Note the interior dimensions of the 3800 and the dimensions of the kneeling pad. Two pads stacked are $13. Total cost would be $42, but a lot cheaper than some alternatives. And the pick n pluck foam will work, though will get shredded faster over time.

1617827581938.png

The replacement foam is "pick n pluck" so not very durable, though relatively easily customizable. Also $20. Kind of pricey for $2 worth of foam. I'm sure if one looks hard enough you can find foam that's been used for other purposes. Perhaps go dumpster diving at a Guitar Center or Computer store and I'll bet there is some foam there from time to time. But perhaps sometime more in line with what is available commercially can be made for much cheaper. Note the interior dimensions of the 3800 and the dimensions of the kneeling pad. Two pads stacked are $13. Total cost would be $42, but a lot cheaper than some alternatives. And the pick n pluck foam will work, though will get shredded faster over time.

View attachment 126942

their foam is actually cheaply price, if u get the replacement foam elsewhere or "customized gonna cost you more than the Apache case itself...i have the 4800 & did the "PlastiDip" mod on mine & came out perfect than expected...the rubberized spray keep the foam tight,firm & wont brittle away with use......actually makes the case even more durable.... heres a link to video i used in doin my mod...https://youtu.be/AhTB1HHmzGIIMG_6727.JPG

Reactions: spudster
their foam is actually cheaply price, if u get the replacement foam elsewhere or "customized gonna cost you more than the Apache case itself...i have the 4800 & did the "PlastiDip" mod on mine & came out perfect than expected...the rubberized spray keep the foam tight,firm & wont brittle away with use......actually makes the case even more durable.... heres a link to video i used in doin my mod...https://youtu.be/AhTB1HHmzGIView attachment 126973
Cool! Thanks for the tip. I may try Plasticdip at some point, probably on my 2800 where I am using cushion foam to supplement the Mini 1 insert that I cannibalized from a cheap case. Amazon is selling the plastidip now for $17.50/can! At this moment I don't have a need to use the picknpluck. I got really lucky and got a semi hard case for $17 with the foam pre-cut for the M2 and as I pictured before the whole inner foam can slice into the Apache 3800.

The Apache 2800, a smaller version of the 3800 is pretty fantastic in its own right. I've got my entire Mini 2 ensemble in different configurations and can get absolutely everything in this small case using layers. I even use the space in the lid behind the padding. That's the thing about these cases without pre-cut foam. You can get really creative. I general I run with the configuration bottom center with controller face down with sticks left on. Super convenient.

1617905237161.png

Reactions: NAVMAV
The local HF was out of stock during the sale so I hopped on-line to order one. They use turtle slow FedEx Ground for shipping so finally got it yesterday. Was able to fit in the Mini2 Fly More Combo (including extra props), 7" tablet, landing gear, Firehouse strobe, ND filters, lanyard and cables. Will work on doing the Plasti-Dip to help keep all of the pick n pluck foam in place.PXL_20210415_223015474.jpgPXL_20210415_223039894.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll