DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Purchase recommendation (Mavic 3 , Mavic 3 Classic , Air 3)

Kiket

Reactions
Good afternoon, I am getting started in the field of drones, I just obtained the A1-3 and STS certifications and I am currently looking for a drone to start working on night events. I am evaluating between the following models: Mavic 3 Classic, Mavic 3 (second-hand) and Mavic Air 3. The advantage of the Mavic 3/Classic is the sensor and in the case of the Mavic 3 it is the telephoto lens, the disadvantage is that the The Mavic 3 that I can opt for is second-hand and I am worried that it is discontinued and does not have support. I don't know if the Air 3, even having a smaller sensor, can be on par with the Mavic 3 in night video.

I appreciate your opinions.
Thank you.

Your really only looking at the Mavic 3 Pro and the Air 3 , and the Air 3 very compatible , a few dollars less and has a smaller foot print but not my much.

Since it sounds like you have a purpose in mind specific for the drone you would be smart to get the Mavic 3 Pro . I would also not worry about support as you have the Mavic 3, Classic and the Pro to many drones to loose support on this quickly.

You do mention second hand drone so may want to save some Money and just get the Air 3 which will provide some beautiful nightime footage as well and I cannot really see the difference at night between the 2 drones .

If your going to fly at night , your going to be hitting a lot of rain storms so you would also need a Wet Suit to Negotiate the Rain for either of the Two Drones. Below is more of an advertising video I made showing the Air 3 in action however it has some really nice footage for you to see the Air 3 at night , and in the shadows.

Video Link

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, fly at night.

You do mention second hand drone so may want to save some Money and just get the Air 3 which will provide some beautiful nightime footage as well and I cannot really see the difference at night between the 2 drones .

He likely mentioned second-hand because he's interested in the features of the Mavic 3, a drone no longer available first-hand.

A couple of months ago, I did a cursory review of the Mavic 3 line and figured the Mavic 3 would be my choice, but since it was not available new I didn't pursue it further. Unfortunately, amongst the cobwebs and loose nuts in my cranium, I can't recall what those key features were. ;-)

He likely mentioned second-hand because he's interested in the features of the Mavic 3, a drone no longer available first-hand.

A couple of months ago, I did a cursory review of the Mavic 3 line and figured the Mavic 3 would be my choice, but since it was not available new I didn't pursue it further. Unfortunately, amongst the cobwebs and loose nuts in my cranium, I can't recall what those key features were. ;-)
Hello CadrePilot, the idea of the Mavic 3 was because of the size of the sensor which is the same as the Mavic 3 Classic but it also has a 162mm lens, I think that the mavic3 is at a slightly higher level than the air3 but the issue of being Discontinued is what worries me. The question comes from your experience with these models.
Thank you so much

Reactions: CadrePilot
If you are going to do this professionally I think you are making a common mistake and not equipping yourself professionally. I don't know about the rules in Spain but in the U.S. you can write off business expenses from your taxes over a period of time or in a one time chunk and both tele lenses on the Mavic 3 Pro will provide you with the ability to do images that a simple wide angle will not. Even the 7x will find professional use in getting shots from a distance that you might not be able to get legally otherwise. At the very least I would suggest the Mavic 3 unless your used option is in rough condition but again, if this is to be a business I would not jump into it until I had the funds to get the equipment that is really needed including ND filters, a wide angle lens, a computer for editing and the knowledge in how to do post production, etc. best of luck to you.

I had the Air 3. I was quite disappointed by the photo quality and I returned it. I then bought a Mavic 3 Classic. I couldn't be happier. There is a huge camera difference in photo department. Maybe in video not so much, but at photo you really see the difference, in favor of Mavic 3 Classic.

Adjustable aperture is also a very nice bonus.

I also contemplated buying the Mavic 3 Pro. I gave up as it falls in A2 Open category. Meaning you need to keep a hefty distance from uninvolved persons. That means you are 100% liable if the drone falls and hurts anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: rp6 and Kiket
Good afternoon, in principle it is not for professional use, it is for recreational use and to start entering this world. However, it's like everything... if for a little more you get something much better. In this case I have the opportunity to get a Mavic 3 fly combo (second hand) at the price of an Air 3 fly combo (new) or a Mavic 3 Classic (new). In the end my idea is starting from the same budget for these three options and taking into account the discontinuity of the Mavic 3 but also taking into account the quality of the lens if it is a good option.

Thank you very much to everyone for your opinions.

but the issue of being Discontinued is what worries me
That should not be an issue at all.
The Mavic 3 was only released less than two years ago.
It's not sold today because the Mavic 3 pro and Mavic 3 classic do everything it could.
They are exactly the same drone except for the camera variations.

Reactions: Kiket
That should not be an issue at all.
The Mavic 3 was only released less than two years ago.
It's not sold today because the Mavic 3 pro and Mavic 3 classic do everything it could.
They are exactly the same drone except for the camera variations.
That's not entirely accurate. There are factors that could lead one to conclude the Mavic 3 is a better option than the others. I don't recall for sure, but I think it had to due with weight, EU considerations, and battery life, but I'm not sure of my memory.

But I do agree that it's not an obsolete drone and wouldn't hesitate to buy a good one.

That's not entirely accurate. There are factors that could lead one to conclude the Mavic 3 is a better option than the others. I don't recall for sure, but I think it had to due with weight, EU considerations, and battery life, but I'm not sure of my memory.

But I do agree that it's not an obsolete drone and wouldn't hesitate to buy a good one.

The bigger camera housing accounts for the small weight variation.
The drones are identical apart from the camera variations.

Is there a difference in the secondary cameras on the M3 vs. the M3 Pro?

The bigger camera housing accounts for the small weight variation.
The drones are identical apart from the camera variations.
That weight difference is not insignificant, as it straddles 900g. Under 900g in Europe is C1, whereas over is C2.

More info here:

Reactions: Kiket
That weight difference is not insignificant, as it straddles 900g. Under 900g in Europe is C1, whereas over is C2.

More info here:
What's your point?
There is a small difference in weight as shown in the specs.
You are in the US so whether it's C1 or C2 is irrelevant to you.
European flyers are well aware of the implications of the 68 gram weight difference.

What I said in post #11 is accurate.
I won't bother repeating it yet again.

What's your point?
There is a small difference in weight as shown in the specs.
You are in the US so whether it's C1 or C2 is irrelevant to you.
European flyers are well aware of the implications of the 68 gram weight difference.

What I said in post #11 is accurate.
I won't bother repeating it yet again.
Mavic 3 Classic: Sub 900g and C1; one lens;
Mavic 3: Sub 900g and C1; two lenses;
Mavic 3 Pro: >900g and C2; three lenses (and other features), along with slightly shorter flight time.

The OP is European and came here asking for information. The information provided is relevant to him.

The OP is European and came here asking for information. The information provided is relevant to him.
So address your posts to him rather than repeatedly nitpicking my perfectly accurate information.

Btw, your point was already made clearly back in post #8.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_