DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Purchasing a DJI Drone and save the sales tax

Mr Mint

Reactions
I am a Canadian and I am wondering if I purchase a new Mavic Air 2 in the U S, is it possible that I would not have to pay any sales tax or any custom fees when the parcel comes across the border into Canada?

I am a Canadian and I am wondering if I purchase a new Mavic Air 2 in the U S, is it possible that I would not have to pay any sales tax or any custom fees when the parcel comes across the border into Canada?
Purchase from Whom? If from DJI tax is included, but you would have to send it to US address and transport yourself. This is on the subject: Customs VAT and Tax?

I don't understand the previous answer. Generally, sales tax is collected by sellers in the US according to the state to which the item is shipped. No one, legally, in the US is going to charge sales tax on an item they ship to Canada. However, if you buy, that is take possession in the US then yes you'll pay the local sales tax - except some states don't have sales tax - kinda like what happens in Canadian Territories. I don't know what Canadian customs will do Under the current trade agreement you should not be charged a "tariff. On, i think it is $800 value you take back to Canada with you.. That does not mean that you won't be charged your customary GST or VAT. My experience is that Canada will convert us prices to Canada dollars, so, for instance buy a $799 item in the us and for Canada purposes its a roughly $1,000 item.

If you buy a drone in the US and have it shipped to Ontario, you are required to pay the usual taxes (GST, HST, PST). Some US online retailers that ship to Canada will collect the taxes, Amazon.com is one example. And you have the shipping costs too. You may still find it cheaper to order from amazon.com instead of amazon.ca for electronics.

Most US States have sales tax. Oregon does not. If you plan to visit in person then it might save you some money, but if you had someone buy a drone for you in Oregon and ship it to you, you wouldn't be saving much after the shipping fees.

Have you looked at eBay?

I’m in Montréal. All my purchases from Dji are net of taxes delivered to my door.
In contrast, if when you purchase the same equipment from Amazon Canada, you will pay the GST. Let’s keep it quite ;)

State sales tax is generally collected based on the buyer's state IF the seller has a presence in the buyer's state. If not, then chances are seller won't collect a sales tax from the buyer.

Amazon has one or more distribution centers in Florida so they collect Florida state sales tax but strangely enough, not all the time. I think even when it's Amazon fulfilled I sometimes didn't get charged tax.

DDS wouldn't charge me tax since they're in NJ, but Florida Drone Supply does.

With the number of online sales going so high, states are crying foul. Legality in Florida if sales tax wasn't collected by an online seller, then you're supposed to pay it to the state but hardly anyone does.

Reactions: joeywestside
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23