DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Q: Have the secret service not figured out how to best use drones?

You can't really prevent a surprise attack, the more enforcement, the further the length the terrorist will go to stay concealed to the very last second.

That being said, a tethered drone with thermal vision, telephoto, and a side monitor running facial recognition can dominate the surroundings, we will get there at some point, that's for sure.

Machine learning will crunch all the data you (and your smartphone with your consent) have been uploading to the net all these years in less than a second, will make a profile from you and set a degree of "potential danger". Whenever you give "positive" on the facial recognition test, you'll be arrested (at least temporally) before the fact, much like Minority Report.

PS: In this case in particular, a drone would have spotted the shooter on top of the roof in no
Actually approximately 400 feet.View attachment 176236
And that location would be a prime spot requiring extra scrutiny when checking/securing locations.

However, the location of the shooter was a prime shooting area within close proximity and should have been secured. From the aerial photo shown, this was the weakest point in the surrounding area. WHY was there not some sort of security there. Worked security most of my life and find it hard to believe the SS did not have this area covered. WHY is the question.

Reactions: jaymc
However, the location of the shooter was a prime shooting area within close proximity and should have been secured. From the aerial photo shown, this was the weakest point in the surrounding area. WHY was there not some sort of security there. Worked security most of my life and find it hard to believe the SS did not have this area covered. WHY is the question.
This is the real question. That area should have been secured and under constant surveillance. This was reported by CNN

CNN said:
According to CNN affiliate KDKA, a witness says he told officers that he saw a gunman moving “from roof to roof,” moments before the assassination attempt. Witnesses have also told reporters that they saw a person fitting the description of the alleged shooter carrying a rifle outside the security cordon of the rally before the shooting.

The shooter was spotted by local law enforcement who thought he might’ve been acting suspiciously near the event magnetometers on Saturday, according to a senior law enforcement official. They put it out over their radio to keep an eye on him — and that information was passed to Secret Service as well, according to the source.
If that is true, then a firefighter who was attending the rally with his family was needlessly killed.

What you said is a threat and you just might suffer the consequences if the FBI reads this.

He's saying that he's pleased that the shooter was NOT accurate enough to make a more deadly shot. That is, pleased with the fact that incident inflicted only a trivial injury.

I agree completely. Political violence has absolutely no place in any civilized society. The fact that such an attack took place is disgusting. It is good that it was NOT successful.

The Government has an anti Drone system called Silent Archer. The system uses bursts of microwave radiation to down Drones. I don't think they would be using their own Drones in the same area. As we all know by now the shooter was seen moments before the cowardly act. there was just little time to react before the incident. There are always lessons to be learned unfortunatly this one costs one American thier life ( along with a coward)
The anti drone factor is a very valid point. I don't know if they have drones that are protected against the countermeasures or not, but creating a "no fly zone" around the candidate makes sense from a security prospective since some miscreant could launch a drone with an explosive payload from miles away and already have the route set.

He's saying that he's pleased that the shooter was NOT accurate enough to make a more deadly shot. That is, pleased with the fact that incident inflicted only a trivial injury.

I agree completely. Political violence has absolutely no place in any civilized society. The fact that such an attack took place is disgusting. It is good that it was NOT successful.
Well said! It is a tragic time in our country. I am glad Trump was not seriously injured.

From an Australian perspective. The Secret Service was fumbling around with sunglasses

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Let's hope NewMax or Fox put together an accurate statement about what happened. And advertise and air it! A similar thread has already been locked on one shooting site, please don't let it happen here. Please keep your remarks accurate and civil. There will be enough lies and hyperbole coming from the DC politicians.

Bill

The numerious wittnesses that saw the gunman crawling to the roof and screaming at police, ss agents etc and none of them looked! Dont get me started ! The US govt has complicity in many killings ! What a world we live in.

Reactions: thispilothere
Drones are mentioned here; not my site, not my source, no opinion on the rest of the material outside "there should have been drones" comment:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm just unhappy that we still have not found widespread acceptance for the good uses that drones can bring to this world and I hate for them to become primarily known for the ability to spy on innocent people. There's so much more we can benefit from besides bombing things and waging war first and then spying on and surveillance second.

Reactions: Cafguy
A reason for not using drones might be it eliminates the possibility of a baddie launching and mixing one in with theirs, then succeeding in causing harm before they are aware and can act.

If there are no drones the second one is sited defensive measures for the candidate can be taken immediately.

Now a retired federal law enforcement officer (National Park Service), I was involved in several security details where a sitting president or vice president visited parks. In my experience, there were multiple protection perimeters involving multiple agencies established around the protectee. Depending on the jurisdiction*, local law enforcement like city police or sheriff department personnel were assigned to the outermost perimeter, staffing checkpoints that were often several miles from the executive protectee. We rangers were responsible for securing critical facilities like the domestic water-supply system, roadways and trails, communication systems**, VIP accommodations, docks, motor-pools, and watercraft that the executive entourage might opt to use -- in short, the things park employees would be most familiar with. The Secret Service, of course, provided the closest ring of protection around the executive. In a large outdoor venue that's open to the general public, as in a national park, there wouldn't be enough SS agents to protect an entire area of concern around a protectee.

Of course, the Secret Service has overall responsibility for executive protection, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that its plan for former President Trump's rally relied on local law enforcement personnel to secure the cluster of fairground buildings and their rooftops near the rally venue. And yeah, the agent fumbling with her glasses and clumsily trying to holster her sidearm wasn't a good look. If nothing else, it proves that even highly trained and competent people have adrenal glands.

How many are aware that the Camp David presidential retreat is located entirely within the boundaries of a unit of the National Park System -- Catoctin Mountain Park in Maryland? And yes, the park is open to the general public. How many are aware that the White House is also a unit of the National Park System?

* Some parks, like Yellowstone, enjoy exclusive federal jurisdiction. The park was established (1872) before Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho achieved statehood. State and County law enforcement personnel have no authority there unless specifically ceded to them by the federal government.

** When President Nixon visited Grand Teton NP for a day or two in the early 1970s, Secret Service advance teams strung eighteen miles of telephone lines to serve the agency's own needs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellmorrissey