DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quandary. IPad Mini 6 or Tripltek 8 Pro?

I got my Mini 6 today and I’m regretting the purchase. After finally getting set up and an Apple ID and all that, I got DJI fly downloaded, fired up the drone and…. Nothing. A message comes up saying something about this accessory is not supported and the fly app says rc not connected. My phone still works fine, and I’ve tried multiple cables with the iPad in every orientation and it simply wont work. I guess I might have to end up getting the tripltek after all

Reactions: Jram
Am in a quandary.
Looking at either the IPad mini 6 or the Android Tripltek 8 Pro.
I am used to the IOS of IPads, IPhones etc and they work well with my drones. But the screen is not as bright as the Tripltek.
Have heard many stories about problems with Android operating systems and don’t want to buy a potential problem.
Do I stay with the IPad Mini 6 or take a chance with Androids?
Tripltek,i have the older 7 pro model.No problems at all,super product.
The screen maintains the brightness level ,I set it at 85% brightness and is
perfect in the bright sun.I fly an air 2 and have over 150 flights so far with the
tablet.Never had any issues with the android os.I can just assume the new 8 pro
would be better yet.

Beware! Tripltek is not on the (much reduced) list of DJI approved compatible devices. I have an issue with my Samsung tab and DJI response was simply "your device is not on the list".
i run the fly app on the tripltek tablet and it works great,no issues at all.

I was thinking the same thing a month ago. Was doing fine with the iPad Mini 4 but needed something better when I got the Air 2S. Decided to go with the Tripltek 8. The screen size and brightness made the decision for me.

Won't know if I made a good choice since it is on Pre-Order at the moment.
Heya.
I'm in this same boat at the moment. If me interested to see how your Tripltek is working out from the point of view of screen brightness. I have an Ipad 10" which I'm going to try use with the drone but I might need as sunshade. Though if Tripltek is 1200 nits that might be better. Not really sure as I'm only transitioning now from using a phone with my controller to attempting to use something bigger like a tablet.
Any guidance or thoughts would be great.
Thanks Ro

I use iOS for most things. However, the Tripltek 8 pro is awesome with one exception, it won’t stay connected to my phone hit spot while flying. Not sure if this is an Android to Apple thing. I am getting a sim for $10/month to put in it. The size and brightness are great in direct sunlight.

E03AA931-EE73-49FF-A442-958B4FC863B6.jpeg

I use iOS for most things. However, the Tripltek 8 pro is awesome with one exception, it won’t stay connected to my phone hit spot while flying. Not sure if this is an Android to Apple thing. I am getting a sim for $10/month to put in it. The size and brightness are great in direct sunlight.

View attachment 141580
The Tripltek only needs to be connected to the internet for a minute to get the map data. After the map is downloaded the Tripltetk is not using the internet connection anymore so the Hotspot in your phone goes on idle and stops itself for inactivity to save battery on your phone. This is probably the reason that you see the tripltek disconnects from your phone.

After the map is downloaded you do not need a data connection anymore while flying.

I got my Mini 6 today and I’m regretting the purchase. After finally getting set up and an Apple ID and all that, I got DJI fly downloaded, fired up the drone and…. Nothing. A message comes up saying something about this accessory is not supported and the fly app says rc not connected. My phone still works fine, and I’ve tried multiple cables with the iPad in every orientation and it simply wont work. I guess I might have to end up getting the tripltek after all
The mini wont work with the Tripletek

Yeah, I'm waiting for the reviews of the Tripltek 8" pro in January. For $800 that's a fair price for the brightness you get. I think the DJI Android software team has improved, as their RC Pro seems to work better than the previous SC. However I really resent DJI not conforming to distribute their Fly app through the play store. When I tried to install the app on my 7" display 1500nit Samsung S21 Ultra phone, I got numerous warnings the app could damage the phone, but I installed it anyway. It took a while to find the security release to allow non Playstore apps to be loaded, but finally figured it out. I hate being forced to doing things that I'm told are risky, because you never know until it's too late. This change of policy at DJI implies the Fly app wouldn't pass muster during Google's security app inspection, which is unsettling. It appears DJI has something to hide IMO.
Call dji and ask if they support the tripletek first

A lot of folks are using the Tripltek. Both Google and Amazon make getting apps in their programs a real challenge. I had no issue installing DJI Fly app on my new Tripltek 8 Pro. The battery on it is amazing. I see the 8" screen great in direct sunlight. My iPad sim fits in and works just fine on the Tripltek. I do get notification from Verizon that my sim has been used somewhere else and they want me to register (no thanks). The weight of the 8 Pro is acceptable. The best part is I can use it for my Mavic Pro (yes, still love that bird and its great for practice as well as photos/video), and my 3D Robotics Solo (still a really fun and huge beast with modified wide angle lens go pro). I was on the verge of buy the RC Pro and glad I didn't.

Am in a quandary.
Looking at either the IPad mini 6 or the Android Tripltek 8 Pro.
I am used to the IOS of IPads, IPhones etc and they work well with my drones. But the screen is not as bright as the Tripltek.
Have heard many stories about problems with Android operating systems and don’t want to buy a potential problem.
Do I stay with the IPad Mini 6 or take a chance with Androids?
An easy choice.Tripltek.I have had my Tripltek for a year now,I fly the mavic air 2 with it.
No issues at all.There are no problems with the android system.

Ended up going Tripltek 8 here. It's spendy but man what a solid piece of kit. Just had a 3 hour multisite real estate shoot yesterday and it did absolutely great.

Have had bad experiences with apple products and field work in my full time job...they always seem to overheat and shut off at very inopportune times. Being in the Southeast where our state capitols marketing moto is "famously hot", that's an issue.

That said, I'm also on the Android train for mobile devices and don't mind going around the play store for apps.

I like Mac computers. Apple mobile devices are not made for outdoor work.

I’ve used them all, iPads, iPhones Samsung and even have a crystal-sky (what waste of money that was). I finally settled on the Tripltek. Don’t be afraid of the Android system, I believe there are more Android appliances out there than IOS.
Regards

My Tripltek arrived last week and hope to use it this week. I don't see a ton of difference between Android and iOS in general. It's good to have options.

Reactions: Gagey52
I have a Tripltek Pro 7". It works well using Go 4 and Litchi. It does not work well with Pix4D, DroneDeploy and other capture programs. The error is drone disconnected. Tripltek told me that I should buy an 8 pro. I responded saying that the marketing says these programs are supposed to work. They back pedalled and suggested I try a fresh restore and to install all 3rd party apps first and then the DJI Apps. That does not make any sense to me.

I have a Tripltek Pro 7". It works well using Go 4 and Litchi. It does not work well with Pix4D, DroneDeploy and other capture programs. The error is drone disconnected. Tripltek told me that I should buy an 8 pro. I responded saying that the marketing says these programs are supposed to work. They back pedalled and suggested I try a fresh restore and to install all 3rd party apps first and then the DJI Apps. That does not make any sense to me.
I had this exact same issue with my Air2S. 3 disconnects within a week if getting it. Luckily the drone was very near me but it was frightening. I'd never had any disconnect when previously using my Huawei p30 Pro. I sent my device straight back to tripletek as the disconnect was a deal breaker. I was luckily within my 30 days refund after just buying it.
Thanks Ro

Just buy a used Smart Controller and then get the Feelworld 279S 7 inch monitor and connect HDMI to HDMI between the two. At only $235 new and a huge 2,200 NITS of brightness, you won't regret it. The new monitors are also touch screen types and I think they now make an 8 inch monitor too.

Just buy a used Smart Controller and then get the Feelworld 279S 7 inch monitor and connect HDMI to HDMI between the two. At only $235 new and a huge 2,200 NITS of brightness, you won't regret it. The new monitors are also touch screen types and I think they now make an 8 inch monitor too.
Yes, the Feelworld looks good too. With the appearance of high quality high nit devices now, maybe retail prices will start dropping. Maybe Apple will begin offering a high nit option for their display devices. I bet that in two years I can get an 8” high nit screen for half what they cost now. Maybe lees. The Tripletek-8 is floatin’ along singin’ a song, but it won’t last forever. There will be good options when the time comes.

The question is always what you do with your drone. Neither iOS or android does everything well with all of the apps you may need. I for one do not like smart controllers. I have had to own both iOS and android for all of the apps that I use. To be honest, if somebody is only doing photography or making videos, I don’t know what you would need besides the DJI Ap and maybe Litchi. If that is the case, personally I think iOS is the way to go. It is always reliable. What is more frustrating than trying to get an app to work?… Displaying maps seems to continue to be a pain on android for a lot of people. I use an iPad Pro, a mini 6, a Tripltek 7” pro and Crystalsky ultra bright. When possible I always reach for my iPad Pro or mini. Ease-of-use, nice screen resolution and with a hood bright enough for me in any situation I have been in. The mini feels brighter than my pro 3rd gen. I was going to sell the Tripltek but remembered that Google services does not work on the crystal sky. In order for me to run drone harmony, I need Google services installed. Google services does run on my tripltek. So you see I have to own two Android devices to just run apps. Nuts. As much as I would like to support a smaller company like tripltek, I was a little disappointed when I asked for some support. It was about running an app for inspections. The person responded and told me I should buy an 8 inch pro because it has more computing power. I know that is nonsense and did not solve my issue and so it just bothered me. The 7 inch pro Tripltek also is a little light in resolution. They should not of released it with this resolution. The video looks bad. It doesn’t just look lacking, if flat out looks bad for my eyes. I have not seen an 8 inch pro so I can’t comment although I know it was said to have been improved. For aps that run well on Crystalsky like DJI Pilot, it is tough to beat. Bright as hell and nice resolution.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S