DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quandary. IPad Mini 6 or Tripltek 8 Pro?

The question is always what you do with your drone. Neither iOS or android does everything well with all of the apps you may need. I for one do not like smart controllers. I have had to own both iOS and android for all of the apps that I use. To be honest, if somebody is only doing photography or making videos, I don’t know what you would need besides the DJI Ap and maybe Litchi. If that is the case, personally I think iOS is the way to go. It is always reliable. What is more frustrating than trying to get an app to work?… Displaying maps seems to continue to be a pain on android for a lot of people. I use an iPad Pro, a mini 6, a Tripltek 7” pro and Crystalsky ultra bright. When possible I always reach for my iPad Pro or mini. Ease-of-use, nice screen resolution and with a hood bright enough for me in any situation I have been in. The mini feels brighter than my pro 3rd gen. I was going to sell the Tripltek but remembered that Google services does not work on the crystal sky. In order for me to run drone harmony, I need Google services installed. Google services does run on my tripltek. So you see I have to own two Android devices to just run apps. Nuts. As much as I would like to support a smaller company like tripltek, I was a little disappointed when I asked for some support. It was about running an app for inspections. The person responded and told me I should buy an 8 inch pro because it has more computing power. I know that is nonsense and did not solve my issue and so it just bothered me. The 7 inch pro Tripltek also is a little light in resolution. They should not of released it with this resolution. The video looks bad. It doesn’t just look lacking, if flat out looks bad for my eyes. I have not seen an 8 inch pro so I can’t comment although I know it was said to have been improved. For aps that run well on Crystalsky like DJI Pilot, it is tough to beat. Bright as hell and nice resolution.
Ok. I have a brand new right at a week old Tripltec 8 pro. Here's the deal: Its only good as a dedicated screen for just about ANY drone. As far as downloading your work or doing ANY sort of editing or anything is a complete chore and not worth even trying. The device clogs up and freezes and wont even run something like Adobe Premiere Rush. Someone offered an older apk to sideload and it DID install but it won't work in any way. It takes LIGHT YEARS to get anything on the tablet after the flight.

My personal workaround is to have the Fly app also installed on my Galaxy Fold 3 and I will then quick transfer or whatever I need to if Im in the field that way.. Other than that I move my work directly from the sd card to the PC. I wont mess with the Tripltec to do anything with my actual files. Its just OK if you want to surf the net but its really just a dedicated screen for me.

And saying that, it does its job FLAWLESSLY. The battery is a bear and I don't bother with turning it off...just reboot it every now and again.. The display is PERFECT for the live feed in the glaring sun here in Savannah. I have a sim card in it and it downloads all maps with zero issues. It seems to do everything as a live feed screen that I need it to. No problem with weather apps.. Its incredibly durable and the 3d printed adapter for the controller has it ANCHORED in very solid. +1 Add a lanyard and i couldn't be any happier.

No, its not even close to the computing power of your iPad mini but it blows it away as a dedicated screen. It just sits in the bag when I'm not flying, though, and that's a big negative but whatever. lol My Fold 3 is just too fragile to be used as a screen and the display doesn't cut it in the sun so...

Im happy and I have a Mavic 3 showing up at my doorstep tomorrow and I expect this Tripletc to be a match made in heaven when paired up as a dedicated screen only, oc.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR