DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Queensland gets it right with Drone parks

Yeah thats good news! And good on all the operators that showed up on the days that the council inspectors were there! That showed 'em how many of us there are!!!!

Reactions: Irish-apple
Queensland gets it right. For once. :)
ha, having moved to Sydney I am appalled at the lack of dog beaches here, especially the northern beaches where there are lots of beaches and plenty of dog owners. Qld does more than one thing right....

and this park thing..... that means they've now outlawed flying from any other council park?

no, at this stage you can fly at any council park. Qld Gov are running the designated parks as a trial to see how things go. They will be monitoring these parks and seeing how the drone flyers are behaving. The only downside at these parks at the moment are that they are requiring prop guards, and as these parks are being watched, this may be enforced. Time will tell how this pans out, but at least its progress and not the ban stick other states are pulling out

Reactions: Simmo
no, at this stage you can fly at any council park. Qld Gov are running the designated parks as a trial to see how things go. They will be monitoring these parks and seeing how the drone flyers are behaving. The only downside at these parks at the moment are that they are requiring prop guards, and as these parks are being watched, this may be enforced. Time will tell how this pans out, but at least its progress and not the ban stick other states are pulling out
other parks are designated: Only for "recreational" use.
I must get out there and film as much sellable footage of sydney rock pools, beaches and headlands etc before it's all banned.

other parks are designated: Only for "recreational" use.
I must get out there and film as much sellable footage of sydney rock pools, beaches and headlands etc before it's all banned.
Just check CIFT and go for it!

Nice area
I used to live in Sydney til 25 yrs ago and often went over your way on weekends.
I can only imagine what the traffics like these days.
I think it's ok around here, and I've just relocated from Sth Aus! no one wants to travel past the bends, they serve their purpose :)

Reactions: Phill

The requirement to use propeller guards has been deleted - see quote from the Council website below:-

"Council has removed the requirement for propeller guards on drones as a trial "

Launching drones from Council parks | Brisbane City Council

Reactions: Phill
They seem to be trying to do the right thing

Whilst people here may think QLD gets it right...I don’t think so...as I follow CASA rules already, why can’t I just fly the drone...more and more people are staking their take on where and when making it more difficult for drone enthusiasts...sigh...why don’t try rather concentrate on fixing potholes!

If they ban parks you could launch from the pavement strip providing no pedestrians at the time and CASA indicates it is a fly zone...come on...banning parks or areas of parks is stupid...ok, not near playgrounds...I’m cool with that...but some parks in QLD is massive...and to allocate a one zoned area is just pathetic

If you do the research you'll find that Queensland is the least restricted of all the Australian states - you can fly in national parks. There are all sorts of reasons why CASA, local councils, and other authorities establish and enforce drone-related regulations, not least to deter the irresponsible idiots who believe that it is their God-given right to fly anywhere they like.

Check out the following sites for more info in regard to flying in Qld national parks:-

Drones in Queensland: The how to and where to guide

"One of the things I love most about shooting in Queensland is that national parks aren’t off limits like they are in the other states. From stunning coastlines and tropical rainforests to the red outback and rugged mountain ranges, here are a few of the best places to shoot in Queensland."

Can I Fly My Drone In National Parks In Australia? | ReefFree

"For recreational purposes, you do not need a permit to use a drone in Queensland’s National Parks as long as it weighs under 2kg, there are less than 10 people involved in the film shoot (i.e. the crew) and no buildings or structures are being filmed”

In short – No pre-arrangement required. Be safe, be sensible and have fun."

Yeah ok...better than other states I suppose...and just so you know I do follow Casa rules, but it just seams like there is less places to fly now around where I live, so I plan trips in area where we are allowed to fly...let’s just hope the council doesn’t do big back flip due to the old lady next door moaning about those kids with their drones when she has no idea... ;-)

For those wanting more places to fly (in Brisbane) the Mavic Air, weighing in at 340 grams, would seem to be an ideal choice. It pretty much has everything you need in terms of performance and photographic capability. Drones that weigh less than 500 grams can be launched from any council park as long as they comply with CASA restrictions and flight-restricted areas.

I bought the Mavic Pro (734 grams) and am thinking that I should have got the Air instead. The Pro has a bit more range and 6 minutes more battery life but that's about it and I can't fly it at as many locations due to its weight.

Well having these 10 sites is far better than the ONE that BCC originally had, can’t remember where that was or if it’s one of the places available now, but that was a woeful effort for ratepayers and visitors wanting to have a bit of a fly.

Out of interest I went to the park on Voyager Dr Kuraby today.
A strip for pilots to stand, seperated by some vegetation overlooking an oval shape patch of mowed grass about 60m x 30m.
Less than 30m from the north end of the patch is a children’s playground, and further all round is quite thick scrub and tall trees.
Quite ok for new flyers to practice basics of flying their UAVs, but very uninspiring for experienced pilots looking for an interesting place to film / photograph.
I didn’t bother putting my MP up.

67c6d3de4b331558518539da70d46c14.jpg

2c1a5c1a6de65adf0c5bea8c4d4fe0ef.jpg

2a1dd5b4ca5689e289f1c3380c760825.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000