DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Air 2s

SDS

Reactions
New member here and I’ve been hunting for a new drone to do some property/real estate photography on a very limited basis for a friend in the biz. I considered an Autel at one point but the lack of customer service drove me to considering a DJI product. I’m considering the Air 2s but would like to not have to purchase the old style controller then update to the RC controller. Is it possible to purchase both the drone and RC controller separately, then update for compatibility? I’ve searched the forum for this answer without any luck, so I apologize in advance if this has already been answered.

Reactions: GFields and Starz
The DJI RC is the primary controller that arrives with the Mini3 Pro. You will need to acquire one separately. You will then need to update both AC and controller to current firmware. Along with that update process, you will get the RID update.
You can update the controller by itself, but without the update on the AC, you will get a message that tells you that the AC requires an update prior to allowing it to be used with the RC controller. If there is some form of workaround for that configuration, I’m not aware.
BH photo has the controller and probably other sources.

Last edited:
New member here and I’ve been hunting for a new drone to do some property/real estate photography on a very limited basis for a friend in the biz. I considered an Autel at one point but the lack of customer service drove me to considering a DJI product. I’m considering the Air 2s but would like to not have to purchase the old style controller then update to the RC controller. Is it possible to purchase both the drone and RC controller separately, then update for compatibility? I’ve searched the forum for this answer without any luck, so I apologize in advance if this has already been answered.
Should work, as you can buy the RC itself for like $300 new. It may just be hard to find an Air2S being sold without a controller. Although, if you find a bundle with just the RC-N1, I doubt that would be much of a price difference than if you were able to find a standalone Air2S. And then you always have a backup if something happens to the RC controller.

Should work, as you can buy the RC itself for like $300 new. It may just be hard to find an Air2S being sold without a controller. Although, if you find a bundle with just the RC-N1, I doubt that would be much of a price difference than if you were able to find a standalone Air2S. And then you always have a backup if something happens to the RC controller.
Having a backup….. that’s good advice, and something I didn’t even consider. There are so many options out there regarding camera drones and I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Air2s even though it doesn’t have adjustable aperture.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Reactions: SDS
How was the performance of the original controller and is it still updatable with current firmware releases?
It's perfectly fine. A little slow to boot up (although I've never used any of the other screen-in controllers) and is a bit heavy, but overall it works well and has a very bright screen. Personally, I don't feel the need to upgrade to the RC. I got mine used from B&H as part of a bundle with the Air2S (buying used from a reputable reseller is something I would highly recommend).

After much thought and research, I believe I will be buying an Air 2s and an RC controller, but I’m still concerned with geofencing leaving me unable to fly, even in class G airspace in the vicinity of an airport. Also, what are some good post-production video/photography programs to use on iMac systems?

After much thought and research, I believe I will be buying an Air 2s and an RC controller, but I’m still concerned with geofencing leaving me unable to fly, even in class G airspace in the vicinity of an airport. Also, what are some good post-production video/photography programs to use on iMac systems?
Read this
unable to fly, even in class G airspace
This should never be an issue
geofencing
You can use the FAA UAS Map to see restricted areas

I own an Air 2s and used it for a year or so and then purchased the rc pro controller. It was no problem getting the rc pro to work with the Air 2s and the new controller significantly increased the range/connection to the drone. I want to say close to a 40% increase. I now also have a Mavic 3 and use the same controller for both the air and the mavic. It's pretty much seamless connecting to either one and flying.

You too can learn the process of unlocking DJI’s geofenced areas. I'm sure there has been much written on this, and so many youtube videos.

Yes, it’s irritating that DJI’s geofence maps aren’t quite right, and that even when they are right you may also have to use LAANC for authorization, but this is all doable.

I’ve taken to requesting 3 and 6 month unlocks for areas I know I’ll be flying again.

Once you’re practiced at it you can get both clearances and apply the unlock license to your drone in about 15 minutes. I do this the day before I plan to fly. To be clear, you do need internet connectivity when setting it up, but you don’t need internet when you fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne