DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Atti mode

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

I have a question about Atti mode and apologies if it has been asked before. I understand the AC will not use GPS to maintain position in Atti mode and therfore does not need GPS data. But the FC still has to know how to fly the AC and therefore needs data from a few of its sensors, right? And my question is what else, other than GPS data, is in this "not needed to fly in Attimode" category? Compass? Barometer? Am I correct in assuming data from the accelerometer and gyros are always needed to fly the AC no matter what the flight mode? Thanks in advance for any answers!

all Atti mode means is the AC is unable to hold its position and is a the mercy of the wind ,everything else stays the same as far as the IMU is concerned ,in Atti mode when you release the sticks the AC will continue to move in the direction of travel and will not stop abruptly, it will maintain its height as it does in GPS,some pilots prefer to use Atti mode to film in as it gives a smoother picture as there is no braking involved, and it is a good thing to learn so you know how the drone is going to react with out GPS ,and when its windy landing in Atti can be quite an interesting experience

Thanks @old man mavic for the clarification; much appreciated. I understand that Atti Mode=flying without the AC holding its position; and hence why I assumed the FC has no need of GPS data when the AC is in this mode. I was just wondering if there was anything else the FC has no need of. But your explanation about everything else being the same as far the IMU is concerned makes sense. I am beginning to think this was a stupid question.

Thanks @old man mavic for the clarification; much appreciated. I understand that Atti Mode=flying without the AC holding its position; and hence why I assumed the FC has no need of GPS data when the AC is in this mode. I was just wondering if there was anything else the FC has no need of. But your explanation about everything else being the same as far the IMU is concerned makes sense. I am beginning to think this was a stupid question.
not at all never fear to ask anything, ignorance is not bliss when it comes to our hobby, knowledge empowers,i am still learning even at my age happy flying

The essential distinction between ATTI mode and the P modes is not the use of GPS.

In P modes the FC will attempt to hold altitude, heading (yaw) and position if the sticks are centered, and then move relative to the aircraft heading in response to elevator and aileron inputs. Absolute position is detected either by GPS or VPS (one or the other is required for P mode flight) but the primary data sources for position correction are the accelerometers.

In ATTI mode the FC holds altitude and heading, and sets pitch and roll to zero if the sticks are centered, and then applies pitch as requested by the elevator stick input and roll as requested by aileron input. It ignores (user-selected ATTI mode), or doesn't have, position data from GPS and VPS and it doesn't attempt to correct for motion detected by the accelerometers.

Last edited:
The essential distinction between ATTI mode and and of the P modes is not the use of GPS.

In P modes the FC will attempt to hold altitude, heading (yaw) and position if the sticks are centered, and then move relative to the aircraft heading in response to elevator and aileron inputs. Absolute position is detected either by GPS or VPS (one or the other is required for P mode flight) but the primary data sources for position correction are the accelerometers.

In ATTI mode the FC holds altitude and heading, and sets pitch and roll to zero if the sticks are centered, and then applies pitch as requested by the elevator stick input and roll as requested by aileron input. It ignores (user-selected ATTI mode), or doesn't have, position data from GPS and VPS and it doesn't attempt to correct for motion detected by the accelerometers.
Awesome! Thanks @sar104, that answers all my questions.

The essential distinction between ATTI mode and and of the P modes is not the use of GPS.

i am aware that to keep the UAV in the air the FC needs to use the information it gathers from all the various sensors and i said it will still hold altitude but it will not be able to hold position if outside forces such as wind affect it by position i meant hovering in a fixed spot with no stick input maybe i did not explain it correctly sorry

i am aware that to keep the UAV in the air the FC needs to use the information it gathers from all the various sensors and i said it will still hold altitude but it will not be able to hold position if outside forces such as wind affect it by position i meant hovering in a fixed spot with no stick input maybe i did not explain it correctly sorry

No - your explanation was fine and I didn't mean to imply otherwise - I was attempting just to elaborate on how the modes work.

thank you i am not as articulate as your goodself when it comes to the technical terms but i am learning

Your answer was perfect for the question I asked. It is just that sar answered a question I had in mind but didn't pose regarding the use of Atti mode as a Fail-Safe to switch to for when the FC gets erroneous data from sensors. I should have been more articulate with my initial question.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada