DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Part 107 and Drone Registration

AtomskLabs

Reactions
Heyo!

So I have a question regarding Part 107.

I have recently got my temp certificate and have done some flying for non commercial use (wasn't paid and was for practice). My question is even though I wasn't not paid for the flying will I get penalized if I post it on my socials? I am a photographer by trade and due to recent events I am afraid it will be considered "promotional" work even though there was no transaction.

Normally I wouldn't have been worried about it but I saw a recent post on here that made me second guess myself. The drone is a Mavic Mini and is only used for recreation/practice (still haven't purchased a drone that will be used for my commercial work)

Any advice and or clarification will be very much appreciated!

Best,
-D

I have recently got my temp certificate and have done some flying for non commercial use (wasn't paid and was for practice)
If you are flying for anything other than recreational purposes (just for fun), then you'd have to follow Part 107 rules. The fact that you're a photographer by trade does not mean you cannot also fly for recreational purposes.

Ok, before a bunch of misleading info gets out. The ONLY thing that matters is your intent at the time of the flight you took the images. Ask yourself this simple question:

When I flew and took these pictures did I have the INTENT to share them online on social media (at some point) or for any reason other them my private personal viewing? If you can answer yes to the first part...you flew under part 107 rules.

If you can say NO to the first part and then later go back and look at the images and say "Hey, you know what, that actually is a good shot, I think I'll post it". Then you were flying recreationally. It's a very confusing and very razor's edge difference. Though I doubt very much the FAA will be kicking in your door unless they show some other rule violations. The worst thing that could happen if they did see them would be a letter or phone call "educating" you on the rules. As far as I know, no one has ever been fined (aside from the idiot in Philly who deserved it 100%) as long as you are polite. They probably won't even bother you anyway since you got your 107.

Ok, before a bunch of misleading info gets out. The ONLY thing that matters is your intent at the time of the flight you took the images. Ask yourself this simple question:

When I flew and took these pictures did I have the INTENT to share them online on social media (at some point) or for any reason other them my private personal viewing? If you can answer yes to the first part...you flew under part 107 rules.

If you can say NO to the first part and then later go back and look at the images and say "Hey, you know what, that actually is a good shot, I think I'll post it". Then you were flying recreationally. It's a very confusing and very razor's edge difference. Though I doubt very much the FAA will be kicking in your door unless they show some other rule violations. The worst thing that could happen if they did see them would be a letter or phone call "educating" you on the rules. As far as I know, no one has ever been fined (aside from the idiot in Philly who deserved it 100%) as long as you are polite. They probably won't even bother you anyway since you got your 107.
Ah I see. It can most definitely be very confusing, my original understanding was that it was under 107 if you were doing it for trade or for money not for promotional/social media. Thank you for the informed response!

I believe the language is "to further a business". That would include promoting a business, whether yours or someone else's.

There has been questions if the mere posting on social media is furthering a business. My take is that it is not, unless your media account is tied to business activity, including monetization.

Yes, most of us know it is the intent of the flight, but many seem to think the intent of posting on YT is not recreational without having considered the nature of the posting.

Reactions: AtomskLabs
Ok, before a bunch of misleading info gets out.

When I flew and took these pictures did I have the INTENT to share them online on social media (at some point) .... ? If you can answer yes to the first part...you flew under part 107 rules.
There's the first misleading "information" right there.
Posting images to social media websites can be 100% recreational and usually is.
The FAA has no concern with flyers posting images on social sites.
If you doubt this, read this official FAA policy (down toward the bottom).

Normally I wouldn't have been worried about it but I saw a recent post on here that made me second guess myself.
A recent Youtube video posted several times here generated similar discussion.
The issue was that the FAA representative was completely mistaken and spreading misinformation and the video presenter didn't know enough to correct it.
It's how myths and misinformation spread online.

There's the first misleading "information" right there.
Posting images to social media websites can be 100% recreational and usually is.
The FAA has no concern with flyers posting images on social sites.
If you doubt this, read this official FAA policy (down toward the bottom).
Thanks for posting that link to the FSIMS document - I had not seen the FAA policy spelled out like that. I have saved it in my burgeoning "useful drone info" folder

Heyo!

I have recently got my temp certificate and have done some flying for non commercial use (wasn't paid and was for practice). My question is even though I wasn't not paid for the flying will I get penalized if I post it on my socials? I am a photographer by trade and due to recent events I am afraid it will be considered "promotional" work even though there was no transaction.

Normally I wouldn't have been worried about it but I saw a recent post on here that made me second guess myself. The drone is a Mavic Mini and is only used for recreation/practice (still haven't purchased a drone that will be used for my commercial work)

Best,
-D
This video should help you with your question.

Heyo!

Best,
-D
The FAA basically says that anything done for fun with no pay, it doesn’t fall under 107. However, if this was done as a favor for a friend and this is something that was not something for fun, it would fall under 107 even if you weren’t paid. Confusing right.

The FAA basically says that anything done for fun with no pay, it doesn’t fall under 107. However, if this was done as a favor for a friend and this is something that was not something for fun, it would fall under 107 even if you weren’t paid. Confusing right.
Substitute the word “compensation” for “pay” and it may make it easier to understsnd

FWIW, Practicing for your business would be hard to argue as "for fun". Combine "practicing for your business" along with posting to your Business social media accounts and you're building a pretty good case against yourself. That's assuming your SM account is business and not just your personal account. I have both.

Last edited:
FWIW, Practicing for your business would be hard to argue as "for fun". Combine "practicing for your business" along with posting to your Business social media accounts and you're building a pretty good case against yourself. That's assuming your SM account is business and not just your personal account. I have both.

Thanks again to everyone for their replies.

My SM is a bit confusing because I post stuff on there that is my work but no work for clients (if that makes any sense) pretty much it’s just stuff I’m working on but for the betterment of my art. Not sure if that makes it promotional or just self improvement or both, ha!

For now I’m just gonna play it safe and keep practicing and working with editing, off of the social platforms until I get my mini registered. I was going to avoid it and just use it for fun/practice and register the Mavic 2 Pro when I got that to use for work.

Once again, thank you for all of the help and replies.
You guys are the best!

Reactions: BigAl07
If he has his temp certification isn’t he allowed to do business? His temp cert verifies that he passed his test doesn’t it? Much like waiting for your actual driver’s license to arrive in the mail.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000