DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about setting waypoints

Kinder

Reactions
I have a MPP and I want to fly it on a fairly regular basis to saved waypoints, 500 - 1000 yards down range at local gun range. BTW, this meets with club approval. For example, I would like to be able to somehow tell the MPP to fly to the waypoint down range at the 1000-yard marker, where I can score the target via the camera on the MPP.
This is an out-of-the-box Mavic Pro Platinum with the latest DJI soft and firmware. I really appreciate any help as I'm relatively new to UAS and I can't seem to find the required info.

I don’t think that is really possible but why don’t you just fly manually and set it to tripod mode or gps do it can hover? It will be the same shot anyway.

Nice idea, but who is resetting/patching the targets?

Hi Derek, tripod would work but, the situation is a bit more complicated as the 1000-yard range is basically a bulldozer trail into the bush which will prove trickier to fly without waypoints. I might explain I live 500 miles north of the nearest city here in Manitoba so, this is not a fancy city rifle range, all open and clear for 1000-yard. It would definitely be much safer for my investment if I was able to plant waypoints and fly to them, drop down and view the targets through the camera lens.

It’s around 3,000 feet there and 3000 back. How long are you planning to shoot?

You can't do this with Go4, but you could with Litchi, probably quite easily after a little bit of trial and error. You could use a straight line mission and pause for a period of time at the point of interest, take a photo, then return. Remember to leave a sufficient buffer, though, for GPS inaccuracy.

Hi Derek, I haul some 30" targets down range on the ATV, return to the firing line, setup and shoot ... for about 2 hour or more. I fly the drone down there to look at the targets and then back again each time I want to score, which is after 10 shots or so ... Maybe every 20 minutes I'd be making the flight unless I could park the drone down there in a safe area. Maybe find a parking spot that allows me to safely observe the targets. Long range rifle shooting can be a very slow process compared to flying a drone.
53-63-6f-74-74, Thanks for the info on Litchi ... It sounds like this may be the way I have to go.

You could also use the Drone Deploy app as it will save your missions that you can re-run in the field.

You can pre-plan and save the mission on your desk top, that will propagate on your RC Controller, provided you opened an account with them. If you're not using their mapping services for post processing of 2D maps and 3D models, the sign up and usage for mission plans should be free.

Litchi would work, but I think the application costs around $30. IOS/Android

Thanks for the help guys .... I ended up with the Litchi app and I'm really impressed. I've been to the range and the program I made up at home worked like a charm. I planned the flight altitude a bit higher than required as I didn't want to take any chances but it worked just fine and I'm glad.

Reactions: Merestone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000