DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question About Strobe Lights

You are unlikely to be able to tell on a 400mm diagonally wide object beyond 300m.
Sure I can, probably up to a miles if they are flashing strobing...at different rates. Beyond that, at 2 miles, when the drone is facing to one side, I can see red/white or green/white so I can tell which way it is facing....at night.

Reactions: 3rdof5 and Ozy
Sure I can, probably up to a miles if they are flashing strobing...at different rates. Beyond that, at 2 miles, when the drone is facing to one side, I can see red/white or green/white so I can tell which way it is facing....at night.
I completely agree and can confirm this. Before I removed my arm strobes, I did them exactly this way. I flew it over 1.5 miles away and could see both arms. This is why I now love flying at night. It's so much easier to see the drone, ironically! Getting old sucks.

Reactions: mavic3usa
My setup allows me to see the exact same orientation as you describe at the same distances.

After a considerable amount of trial and error, I finally settled upon 3 x Firehouse strobes, mounted on my Air 2 with Aerial-Pixel mounts. The top strobe mount also doubles as a secure clamp for the battery to insure it can’t pop out.

In terms of colour, I have white on top, green facing forward on the front left arm, and red facing backwards on the rear right arm. Works for me!

IMG_0027.jpeg

IMO, I have found that the Velcro that comes with the strobes is unreliable. I took off straight up and
noticed the flashing strobe left sitting on the ground blinking away. Get some good heavy duty
velcro. Another hint is to adhere the 'fuzzy' portion to the drone. (The 'hook' portion seems to
want to grab the inside of the carry case when removing or packing the drone.
I'm curious to hear from others.
I didn't like the velcro, didn't trust it. I bought strobe mounts from aerial-pixel.com

I wouldn't care if I lost a strobe because the velcro didn't hold, I would be concerned of a strobe working it's way off and then getting in the way of a prop....and down she goes.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
IMO, I have found that the Velcro that comes with the strobes is unreliable
If you mean the regular fuzzy Velcro, I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't trust that to hold anything on my drones.

3M Dual Lock is a fantastic product and very secure. For anyone who doesn't want to spend money on strobe mounts, 3M Dual Lock is the next best option.

Reactions: BigAl07 and 3rdof5
Put them on in a way that helps you see which way the drone is facing. I personally use the Red/Green on the front legs and white on top with white or blue on the rear. I also make sure that if the drone is facing me that red is on the right and green is on the left. That's a standard for airplanes. If a pilot sees red to the right of the green then the pilot knows the object is returning or heading toward them.

The FAA doesn't regulate the placement of anti-collision lights, but I think we all put them on top since the manned aircraft they are intended to alert will be in the airspace above us (hopefully!).

That’s my thought also. On top for manned aircraft to see. Also, one on the bottom so I can see it at distance.

I use rubber cement! No fuss, easy to clean and move strobes around

Reactions: Torque
More for people flying on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean :) ...

In European air space (it is not only EU as DJI think, were the new regulations applies), it seems the night flight is no more restricted as it was in the past. I have seen people on Youtube indicating that in Netherland, the state overruled the EU rule and forbidden night flight. Not really knowing from where it really comes (official air authority don't address it formally), in Switzerland it seems to be allowed if you use green strobe, more to warn people on the ground you fly other them so they can escape it in case of drone fall. Meaning probably strobe on top and bottom.
In EU airspace, as there are limitations based on weight and seeing the limited number of drone model getting a certified class (C0 < 250g, C1 <900g, C2 <400g and legacy), adding anything to the drone is always questionable and matter of interpretation. I flew last Saturday with a Mini 3 pro and 2 strobes, make just simple flight I know there was no unexpected obstacle were it goes, but was a little scary (it was surround by many tree).

My thought after that experience is that using the Mini 3 pro was not so good as:
- Better to do really simple flight and have it planned so all fix surrounding is known.
- I had to go over the 250g limit with the 2 strobes, as I have the A1/A3 license for up to 900g, I went in a grey zone.
- There is limited obstacle avoidance on Mini 3 pro and in any cases, it would need more light to be really operational.
- Using my Mavic 3 Classic would put me in a similar situation.
- Only with an Air 3, I would at least not brake the rule of the weight, but the flight itself would be as risky as it was.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13