DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question About Strobe Lights

TexasStar15

Reactions
I bought strobes for my new DJI Air 3 but I'm not sure how they go on. Some video's I've seen have red in front and some have green. Any input on which is correct? Thanks guys!

Reactions: Squidinc
I'm not sure how they go on
There is no correct/required color/configuration for strobe lights. Whatever orientation allows you to spot and see the direction your drone is flying would be best.

Reactions: dart106 and Torque
I bought strobes for my new DJI Air 3 but I'm not sure how they go on. Some video's I've seen have red in front and some have green. Any input on which is correct? Thanks guys!
Check the pics, just suggestions.

See mounting tips here: DJI Strobe Mounts

Reactions: escline
IMO, I have found that the Velcro that comes with the strobes is unreliable. I took off straight up and
noticed the flashing strobe left sitting on the ground blinking away. Get some good heavy duty
velcro. Another hint is to adhere the 'fuzzy' portion to the drone. (The 'hook' portion seems to
want to grab the inside of the carry case when removing or packing the drone.
I'm curious to hear from others.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
IMO, I have found that the Velcro that comes with the strobes is unreliable. I took off straight up and
noticed the flashing strobe left sitting on the ground blinking away. Get some good heavy duty
velcro. Another hint is to adhere the 'fuzzy' portion to the drone. (The 'hook' portion seems to
I've replaced all my velcro with 3M's Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener. Works great.

Strobe lights (anti-collision lighting) should be white for greatest visibility distance. Using another color of led or filter will reduce the distance the anti-collision light is visible to other aircraft. Strobe lights are intended to enhance your drone's visibility to other aircraft and should be sourced and placed on your drone for that specific purpose.

If using a single strobe light on your drone, it should be placed in a location best visible from other aircraft. This position is typically on top for most drones, with an unobstructed horizontal view 360 degrees around the drone. Placing a single strobe on the bottom or sides of most drones could severely limit the actual purpose of the strobe light as an anti-collision light, as most aircraft will be approaching your drone from above.

Strobe lights (anti-collision lighting) should be white for greatest visibility distance. Using another color of led or filter will reduce the distance the anti-collision light is visible to other aircraft. Strobe lights are intended to enhance your drone's visibility to other aircraft and should be sourced and placed on your drone for that specific purpose.

If using a single strobe light on your drone, it should be placed in a location best visible from other aircraft. This position is typically on top for most drones, with an unobstructed horizontal view 360 degrees around the drone. Placing a single strobe on the bottom or sides of most drones could severely limit the actual purpose of the strobe light as an anti-collision light, as most aircraft will be approaching your drone from above.
It is true that white is the brightest and green and red as less visible. However, the standard is 3 miles and if all 3 colors can be seen at 3 miles, it practically doesn't make much of a difference if white can be seen for 4 miles. I agree with you placement advice but I would argue not a single collision at night has been averted by a strobe light and in reality, using strobe lights on a drone is inconsequential. I have yet to hear of a manned aircraft pilot even claiming to have simply spotted a drone's strobe lights at night regardless of where it is placed. I understand the FAA requires it and I believe it should be used for safety just in case it happens but it's apparent that most drone flyer use strobe light for their own benefit. Which is why you see the most popular mounting equipment geared towards the flyer, not the aircraft. Honestly, these lights are so bright even front or rear facing lights can be seen by aircraft above so why not get a "twofer" if you can?

The regulation states "at least 3 statute miles" visibility distance, but a greater visibility distance in most cases is better. Using colored filters on "Strobe" lights is defeating the purpose of the strobe and counter-intuitive to the regulation requiring it. Especially when you are talking about other aircraft which are typically flying at a minimum speed of 85+ knots (100+ mph) at approach or cruise speeds for even the slowest of aircraft, and in many cases the other aircraft will be flying at speeds much faster. 3sm gets eaten up really fast.

If you want to use additional lights on the drone for better visibility to the drone PIC or visual observer, that is another topic. The initial strobe installed on a drone should be used for the specific reason of anti-collision visibility to other aircraft as required by FAR 107.29.

Reactions: MS Coast and Torque
The regulation states "at least 3 statute miles" visibility distance, but a greater visibility distance in most cases is better. Using colored filters on "Strobe" lights is defeating the purpose of the strobe and counter-intuitive to the regulation requiring it. Especially when you are talking about other aircraft which are typically flying at a minimum speed of 85+ knots (100+ mph) at approach or cruise speeds for even the slowest of aircraft, and in many cases the other aircraft will be flying at speeds much faster. 3sm gets eaten up really fast.

If you want to use additional lights on the drone for better visibility to the drone PIC or visual observer, that is another topic. The initial strobe installed on a drone should be used for the specific reason of anti-collision visibility to other aircraft as required by FAR 107.29.
Agreed, I use a minimum of 3 strobe lights on my drone when I employ them: white then green/red. I can testify to at least 2 miles for the red/green ones which I have.

Reactions: bzpilot
IMG_2074.jpeg
Try this 3M Dual Lock. It holds onto the strobes like glue. I’m very pleased with it.

Last edited:
I put my strobe on the top where that velcro is. It's behind the GPS. I tried putting two on the arms, but the camera caught the flashing light. On top it's not, I can still see it miles away at night. It's much easier to see this thing at night than during the day! I have a set of these in every one of my drone bags.

61y92osDSPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Air3.jpg

It depends, to fly at night legally, you must have a strobe that is visible to other aircraft that are ABOVE from 3 miles away. When doing this be careful not to obstruct your GPS receiver. While there are no official requirements other than that, typically, aircraft and water craft have a red light on the left (port) and a green light on the right (starboard) and white to upper rear.
See my strobe strategy on my Mavic 3 Classic:

Reactions: Dronason
It depends, to fly at night legally, you must have a strobe that is visible to other aircraft that are ABOVE from 3 miles away. When doing this be careful not to obstruct your GPS receiver. While there are no official requirements other than that, typically, aircraft and water craft have a red light on the left (port) and a green light on the right (starboard) and white to upper rear.
See my strobe strategy on my Mavic 3 Classic:
Agreed except you added the word "ABOVE" which isn't in the FAA official verbiage. If the PIC believes the intensity needs to be diminished for safety reason, he can do so and therefore these lights could be seen way less than 3 miles away. Finally, the lights must be flashing at a rate which will help avoid a collision.

Reactions: 3rdof5
With my nautical head on red lights would go on the port side [left facing forward] and green on the starboard

It the international recognized navigation layout. This would enable you to determine whether the drone was flying towards or away from you​
You are unlikely to be able to tell on a 400mm diagonally wide object beyond 300m

Reactions: 3rdof5
The FAA doesn't regulate the placement of anti-collision lights, but I think we all put them on top since the manned aircraft they are intended to alert will be in the airspace above us (hopefully!).

I didn't want to assume anything a few months ago, so I emailed the FAA directly and asked them this question. Their response was why I settled on just putting one at the top. It satisfies that requirement, and it doesn't get into my camera. I was shooting a building the other day and had the strobes initially on the arms of my Air3. I could see them bouncing off all the retro-reflector signs in the parking lot and it was unusable.

The FAA doesn't regulate the placement of anti-collision lights, but I think we all put them on top since the manned aircraft they are intended to alert will be in the airspace above us (hopefully!).

Thank you for contacting the FAA UAS Support Center. You should expect a response from us within 2 business days.

Case Reference Number:
CSXXXX

Date Created:
3/30/2023

Tell Us About Yourself:
Commercial Operators

Inquiry Subject:
Strobe Light Placement Question

Inquiry:
I'm studying for my part107 and want clarification on night strobes. I cannot find anything that directly tells me on what sides of the drone the 3km strobe should be visible. Is it on top for upward visibility towards higher aircraft or below? I can realistically mount one on my DJI Mini3 Pro on top and perhaps one on each front arm. Or perhaps only two, one on top and one on the bottom.

This was the product I was going to use: Amazon.com

Thank you for helping me, as I wanted to hear it from the FAA directly and not trust google.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply as this inbox is not monitored.

Thank you,
content-blocker:
FAA UAS Support Center
844 FLY MY UA | 844-359-6982
Send us your questions!
Stay current on all things drone
Learn about TRUST
Twitter | Facebook
Their response:

Part 107 does not specify placement...only that it has to be visible for three statute miles. Keep in mind the purpose of the anti-collision light; it is for manned aircraft to be able to see your drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2