DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobes, Mounts, Locations

CadrePilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'd like to fly with strobes on my M2P. After doing a lot of searching and browsing, here and elsewhere, I think I've decided three would be best. That would be one white on top, with red/green slung under each of the front legs (red/left, green/right). Does this make sense? How can I mount them under the legs?

Oh, and the big question....which strobes?
Are Firehouse Arc V the latest and greatest?

I'd like to fly with strobes on my M2P. After doing a lot of searching and browsing, here and elsewhere, I think I've decided three would be best. That would be one white on top, with red/green slung under each of the front legs (red/left, green/right). Does this make sense? How can I mount them under the legs?

I like the Firehouse Arc V lights and the Vifly lights. Velcro is by far the simplest, lightest, and least expensive mounting. It's perfectly adequate with respect to the weight and dynamic loading of a small strobe.

I like the Firehouse Arc V lights and the Vifly lights. Velcro is by far the simplest, lightest, and least expensive mounting. It's perfectly adequate with respect to the weight and dynamic loading of a small strobe.
Agree,I use the Arc V and they are incredibly bright for such a small unit.

Reactions: CadrePilot

Are the Firehouse significantly better than Vifly?

You won't be disappointed with the ARC V's.

I started with the smaller shrink wrapped strobes but they have failed over time.

I think it was the flexing of the circuit board when applying/ removing from the aircraft that caused them to fail.

The ARC V's along with the 3-D printed mounts has made me a happy flier.

Here are the mounts for the M2P.

There's other mounts available for different strobes.

Just throwing in my two cents worth.

-The ARC V's along with the 3-D printed mounts has made me a happy flier.-

I agree 100 percent ARC V's are great lights yes there are lots of other and yes you can get cheaper strobes but I love the ARC V- Plus when I buy the firehouse strobes I know for sure they are "legal"
as Starz pointed out the mounts DO add weight and bulk

When it comes to placement of your strobes you first need to ask, do I need to see them or does aircraft above need to see them (required for night flying).
Some pilots use them simply to help maintain VLOS during day flights.
I use mine for night flying and here's my mounting strategy for my Classic.

Attachments

• 20230331_204117.jpg
    20230331_204117.jpg
    869 KB · Views: 28
I have spent some time on the best strobe system (lights & mounts) for my MA2. Without any doubt I favour the Firehouse Arc V strobes. I came across the perfect 3D mounts for them at Aerial-Pixel. I have white on top which also acts as a battery clasp. One green forward facing & one red rear facing. Here is a link for the Aerial-Pixel top mount. DJI Strobe Mounts

IMG_4453.jpegIMG_4450.jpegIMG_4455.jpeg

I have spent some time on the best strobe system (lights & mounts) for my MA2. Without any doubt I favour the Firehouse Arc V strobes. I came across the perfect 3D mounts for them at Aerial-Pixel. I have white on top which also acts as a battery clasp. One green forward facing & one red rear facing. Here is a link for the Aerial-Pixel top mount. DJI Strobe Mounts

I've read several posts about folks doing similar with the red/green strobes. Doesn't this kinda contradict flight standards?

I've read several posts about folks doing similar with the red/green strobes. Doesn't this kinda contradict flight standards?
I thought the same thing, and I didn't particularly like mounting them on the arms. Here's a video of my mounting strategy which follows flight standards (red on the left, green on the right and white in the center).

I thought the same thing, and I didn't particularly like mounting them on the arms. Here's a video of my mounting strategy which follows flight standards (red on the left, green on the right and white in the center).
If the front of the drone was facing away from you, you have green in back and red in front. Red should be left front and green right front, white in back, and top if the white can't be seen from above. For me red and green should be running solid so there is less confusion when seeing from a distance, and knowing the drone is coming at you or going away.

Reactions: mavic3usa
If the front of the drone was facing away from you, you have green in back and red in front. Red should be left front and green right front, white in back, and top if the white can't be seen from above. For me red and green should be running solid so there is less confusion when seeing from a distance, and knowing the drone is coming at you or going away.

Along those lines, my idea is....
White on top where other aircraft can see it best.
Red slung below left, front arm, so I can see it. Green below right, front arm, so I can see it.

I'm not sure which lights you are referring to. On the Mavic 3 the front arm lights alternate red and green and rear arm lights flash green only (plus you see the battery leds) and those lights by themselves without strobes added are quite visible from below and easily indicate direction. My strobes (as you can see in my pic above) are all mounted on top of the aircraft, the side two at an angle due to design of the Mavic and the larger white strobe facing straight up. From above aircraft will see 3 flashing strobes, white in the center, red to port, and green to starboard. The two side strobes are also quite visible from below and help indicate direction of the aircraft. No matter which direction the aircraft is facing I can easily tell its direction from above and below.
I seriously doubt that any aircraft will be able to tell at a distance if the strobes are on the arms or on the aircraft body. The important thing is they see it. If I need to see it from below I can just turn on my landing lights.

Are strobe light needed by law on our drones or just for our own visual reference?

If so what color and solid or flashing.

Normally the light already on the Mavic 3 pro shows me where it is.

Thank you.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulates that a drone flown between sunset and sunrise must be equipped with anti-collision lighting. These lights must have a strobe function that strobes between 40 - 100 cycles/minute. They also must be visible from 3 statute miles.
I.M.O. buy Firehouse strobes

Reactions: Kilboar
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulates that a drone flown between sunset and sunrise must be equipped with anti-collision lighting. These lights must have a strobe function that strobes between 40 - 100 cycles/minute. They also must be visible from 3 statute miles.
I.M.O. buy Firehouse strobes
Ok. Thank you. I figured but didn’t know.

I’ll check them out.

Any particular color they want?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR