DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Sunnyvale Baylands park and controlled airspace there

MavicPeter

Reactions
I've flew here quite a few times and it's one of the few places in the area that explicitly allows drones in a certain area of the park.

However, on AirMap it shows that this area is Class-C with a 0-ft ceiling on account of San Jose airport (SJC):
1596069348142.png

I assume if you submitted an LAANC request, it would be denied. However, I've never had any issue flying here and it's one of the few places that I can fly with other people watching where I don't feel like someone is going to report me. (Even if following all the regulations)

My question is more just out of interest: What's the deal here? Does the FAA just not know that Sunnyvale told people it's OK to fly drones in an area where there is a 0-ft altitude limit? Or is it some "special" place that they already got approval from the FAA to let people fly there? (I'm working toward my Part 107 so maybe folks with better knowledge can educate me about issues like this)

If that's in a (0') grid (And it looks that way) you can't fly there without LAANC Authorization regardless what used to be allowed there.

For the record, Sunnyvale can only mandate what happens on the ground there.... everything in the air is FAA controlled.

If that's in a (0') grid (And it looks that way) you can't fly there without LAANC Authorization regardless what used to be allowed there.

For the record, Sunnyvale can only mandate what happens on the ground there.... everything in the air is FAA controlled.
Thanks for confirming. This is what I understood as well.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2p123