DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about upcoming faa test for recreational flyers

According to the FAA Map a Recreational Drone Flyer is locked down to requesting the LAANC Approval...see map

Once LAANC is open to Hobby flights you'll like LAANC. It's usually quick and after the first time fairly simple to get an approval/denial.

It's going to be a few months before it's active for HOBBY but it's a great improvement.

Thank You for that insight...By mid June I will have passed the Part 107

that's great. no picking on you but this is a good thread...

this is what i don't like to see...and i'm really disappointed with this.

your city is no more locked down than any other city. i see plenty of spaces for you to fly today. the thought that hobbyist (like me) can't fly unless they get a "drone license" is exactly the type of mentality that i think is not helpful. not bashing you but you said "it's getting worse [for hobbyist]" which to me means you need to get a license else you soon won't be able to fly at all.

this whole idea of separating the two into classes based on the "right to fly" which is incorrect (temporary at best) rather than what it is meant to be (commercial vs. non-commercial) will only work against hobbyist interest in the future.

perhaps that is what the faa is trying to do, force everyone to get a "drone license." maybe laanc never will open up, the test will never go online, and further restrictions will make it impossible to fly legally without part 107. but of course, that won't stop hobbyist for flying but the no-fly signs will start to read "no flying without a license" or "show your license and we'll give you a permit to fly" because pilots with "drone licenses" are properly trained, have insurance, etc. police will stop and frisk for a "drone license" and ticket and tow equipment (in error) without proper license and registration. because hobbyist fly drones that are not registered with the faa unlike 107s who have a "license plate." officer says "the last guy flipped his drone license to me, show me yours else shut it down."

they don't know. most people don't know. and won't know the rules. the normal will become what makes most sense. an individually license piece of equipment with an operator possessing a valid government license. none of the airspace class stuff nobody will care about. you will be laughed at if you tell the county sheriff his airspace is uncontrolled and "anybody" is free to fly.

this isn't what is happening now...but this is what it is becoming. less so from the faa (for now), more so from the people in general but with a lot of help from us, the flying class. "i got a license, now i'm free to fly even though i have no intentions of commercial use" makes no sense. it's like getting a CDL just in case you want to haul **** but you drive around daily in your POV, who does that? :)

i don't want to be forced to get part 107 just to fly. i live in a constitutional free state and the only reason why i have a CCH is because i like to cross the state line without becoming a felon. adding to the 107 ranks to inflate those numbers will cause the industry to go in that direction and hobbyist will be left behind (like the faa just did to us). and then once everyone has a 107, you will start to see the restrictions. same thing like open carry vs. having a permit.

i realize the forum i am in but running out and getting a government license so you can fly your drone is not a thing...and probably never will be. millions of people who not take a test they can't pass but they won't forgo a drone purchase just because they don't have a 107. let's try to hang together rather than showing our differences. personally i thought you should have fought 107 for casual use but it really irks me when i see someone embrace (and appear to revel in the idea) that if you take even one non-recreational photos or you make even $1 from a drone photo never mind intent, then you are a commercial pilot and you've broken the law unless you have 107. ridiculous.

there, i said it.
/rant

Reactions: Drgnfli
yea that was a rant and I think mostly unfounded. I'm sure the FAA will have a test for us Hobbyist as Congress has told them they have too. I'm pretty sure LANCC will be here for us also just takes a little time to get it up and running. As far as people not knowing the rules its up to people like us to inform them. If you see people flying with no reg numbers on there drone politely infom them of the new rules sure some might say F off but some will listen and come here and get informed.

Reactions: BigAl07
yea that was a rant and I think mostly unfounded. I'm sure the FAA will have a test for us Hobbyist as Congress has told them they have too. I'm pretty sure LANCC will be here for us also just takes a little time to get it up and running. As far as people not knowing the rules its up to people like us to inform them. If you see people flying with no reg numbers on there drone politely infom them of the new rules sure some might say F off but some will listen and come here and get informed.

sure, that's fine. i'm mostly myob so i probably won't be out to educate other flyers but please understand my post is not about what's going on today; it's about the way things appear to be headed.

so what would you say if recreational pilots got a non-commercial "part 107 type license" that read hobbyist all over it?

please understand my post is not about what's going on today; it's about the way things appear to be headed.

so what would you say if recreational pilots got a non-commercial "part 107 type license" that read hobbyist all over it?
Not if an overly complicated test is required to get the license!

What about the fixed wing community that has been dragged into this? Man you should'a seen the looks on some of the older guys faces when I told them a test might be coming. They have been flying for decades w/o issues...I've posted this before. The up and coming laws are probably more focused on FPV and how the public (and congress) views it (mostly negatively the way I see it). IMO this is mainly because of bad press and an entitlement attitude by some flying FPV along with a lack of data looking at a fundamental problems that (if any) has occured. Not to argue what a small drone or aircraft can/cannot do to harm, people, property, or other aircraft but we all know what the implied rules are. Can a toy aircraft cause issues, sure. Does it happen often, nope. But I still fly w/i the AMA rules...I just hope we are not all hog tied in the future. For those wishing to fly for distance or records I feel that's super cool and would hope those flight operators could get some kind of clearance to do so. For those pilots it would be a good idea to have a permit or higher training than those following the typical rules we follow today.

Reactions: Drgnfli and BigAl07
the hobbyist test cannot be made complicated. same reason why a standard DL cannot be complicated. if you cannot pass the hobbyist test, it's not going to stop hobbyist from flying, for obvious reasons. the faa will be accused of trying to shutdown the hobbyists and once again, we've divided drone pilots into different groups based on something other than for which it was intended (flying for fun vs. flying for profit).

so the hobbyist pass the test and they print out a second-class piece of paper that cannot be tracked or verified and basically means nothing except it gives the government and others the ability to distinguish between pilots they will allow vs. pilots they will not allow. again not now...but it will come, for sure. today, most places simply say "follow what the faa tells you." but that's code for, we don't know what we're allowed to do yet so obey the federal government for now.

one day: "the national parks have decided to allow limited drone flying inside the park boundary but only to holders of part 107." why? because they are responsible, they have insurance, they took a real test, they know the rules, they follow the law, they have a system in place with the faa. well, so do i. but i just can't prove it.

if i'm going to be forced to take a test, i want a license out of it. print F-U-N all over it if you will but i'm not happy about being relegated to a lower class because i choose not to fly for commercial purposes. i understand the argument, get your 107 and move on; i still feel that is a bit problematic.

You’ll need to know basic regs and airspace classification.
Know your A, B, C , D, E, G airspace. Know the laws. How high you can fly. How far you can fly etc. by the way why bother with the hobby version if you have to study. Any just take the commercial test

You’ll need to know basic regs and airspace classification.
Know your A, B, C , D, E, G airspace. Know the laws. How high you can fly. How far you can fly etc. by the way why bother with the hobby version if you have to study. Any just take the commercial test

no you don't. it's nice to know but it certainly isn't need to know. many of us flew our [toy] drones years ago before there was laanc for drones and had no knowledge whatsoever about airspace classification and related and we flew just fine because we all knew simply don't crash into anything. none of had any problems. the community is just being drilled into thinking it's required knowledge.

again, i live in a free state where anyone who isn't a criminal can conceal or open carry a loaded handgun without a license. but the states around me falsely claim you can't do that unless you know the laws, know how to shoot, bend a knee to law enforcement, pay the fee, and prove it with training and a battery of tests....b.s.

i've already explained why i don't want to get part 107 right now. myself and millions of americans do not want to have to get a government permit to fly our drones. part 107 is issued to people who intend to use their drone for commercial purposes. that's it. let's not turn part 107 into something it isn't. do you ask citizens to go get certified and get a security guard license if they want to buy, own, or carry a gun? do you ask people to get a CDL if they want to haul wood from their ranch to their home? issue a hobbyist license like you would a CPL or regular driver's license if you must. but we all know what kinds of "problems" that will cause.

Imaging every 10 year old that gets his new $50 toy drone at Christmas. Hundreds of thousands of them every Christmas. Or birthday. Every year. They're going to take a test to fly their new toys? Yeah, whatever. It's going to be exactly like the FRS hand-held radios were 20 years ago. The Govt said you had to be licensed, nobody bothered, the Govt. realized it was totally unenforceable and not needed and backed off the requirements for FRS radios.

Imaging every 10 year old that gets his new $50 toy drone at Christmas. Hundreds of thousands of them every Christmas. Or birthday. Every year. They're going to take a test to fly their new toys? Yeah, whatever. It's going to be exactly like the FRS hand-held radios were 20 years ago. The Govt said you had to be licensed, nobody bothered, the Govt. realized it was totally unenforceable and not needed and backed off the requirements for FRS radios.

true. imagine if the government had stuck it nose in the mobile phone industry in the 80s and required every consumer (not just carriers or manufacturers) to get a license to make a cellular call. after all, the fcc controls the airwaves and we have no idea what they overpowered cellular phones and their amps systems will do to emergency frequencies, air traffic control, etc. we wouldn't have iphones and cheap smartphones. which is why the drone industry is having trouble taking off.

Reactions: johnnyinak
The swallow, would it be an African or European swallow?
Holy grail, batman!

I have the 107 certification, and I'm currently studying for the recurrent test.
I wonder if I will need to take the recreational test because not always am I flying commercially.

If the test includes sectional analysis, start studying now. Sectionals are a cluster. However, the more you read/study them the more they make sense. Still, I don't know how ATC personnel keep it together; especially in high traffic airspace.

Not sure what is going happen in the US in terms of details about the exam. Up here in CanuckVille as of June 1st we all need a Pilot’s Certificate to fly anything bigger than an (Unladen Swallow ;-)), 250 Grams up to 25KG. I have a long time aviation background and I wrote and passed both the Basic and the Advanced Exams up here with no problems. I did read the new ‘drone’ regulations, that took about an hour or so. I still need to do a flight test to actually qualify for the Advanced, I will do that some time soon. At 66 and with thousands of hours in the air, in various fixed wing aircraft, suspect I will know a wee-bit more than my examiner,......but perhaps not. I will do the flight test and be humble when doing so. You also need to Register your Drone, which I have done, right now I only have a single MPP. The exams each cost $10, and the Registration was $5, all easily done online. You do need to know your Airspace classifications and have a general idea of the rules of flying. For some non flyers I could see the exams being a bit hard without some study time. I think a bit of these new rules and regulations are definably knee-jerk, but heck what else is new with our various government agencies.

Not sure what is going happen in the US in terms of details about the exam. Up here in CanuckVille as of June 1st we all need a Pilot’s Certificate to fly anything bigger than an (Unladen Swallow ;-)), 250 Grams up to 25KG. I have a long time aviation background and I wrote and passed both the Basic and the Advanced Exams up here with no problems. I did read the new ‘drone’ regulations, that took about an hour or so. I still need to do a flight test to actually qualify for the Advanced, I will do that some time soon. At 66 and with thousands of hours in the air, in various fixed wing aircraft, suspect I will know a wee-bit more than my examiner,......but perhaps not. I will do the flight test and be humble when doing so. You also need to Register your Drone, which I have done, right now I only have a single MPP. The exams each cost $10, and the Registration was $5, all easily done online. You do need to know your Airspace classifications and have a general idea of the rules of flying. For some non flyers I could see the exams being a bit hard without some study time. I think a bit of these new rules and regulations are definably knee-jerk, but heck what else is new with our various government a little kids getting their Costco toy drones for Christmas and such? gencies.
How will it go up there in Canada with all the little kiddies getting their drones for Christmas and birthdays?

How will it go up there in Canada with all the little kiddies getting their drones for Christmas and birthdays?

If it weights more than 250 Gr they are mostly screwed. IIRC there are also lower age limits to get your certificate. Part of the Knee-Jerk.

I have the 107 certification, and I'm currently studying for the recurrent test.
I wonder if I will need to take the recreational test because not always am I flying commercially.

Part 107 operators do not need additional regulation/testing to drop down to hobby flights.

If the test includes sectional analysis, start studying now. Sectionals are a cluster. However, the more you read/study them the more they make sense. Still, I don't know how ATC personnel keep it together; especially in high traffic airspace.

It most likely WILL have to include reading and understanding a sectional chart. If you can't read a sectional then you have no valid way to know what airspace you wish to fly in. That's my 2-cents anyway.

ATC deals with the same airspace and terrain day in and day out. After a few days it becomes2nd nature.

what's the penalty for a kid caught flying a toy drone on private property in a small parking lot in uncontrolled airspace?

In Canada if you are flying in Class G Airspace (uncontrolled) the only issues could be permission from the land owner. Not so much to fly over, but to take-off and land from private property. I do not think you would be in big trouble, you may be asked to move by the owner, if they catch you and they want you to leave. The big/serious fines only kick in when you are flying in controlled airspace without the proper approvals.

true. imagine if the government had stuck it nose in the mobile phone industry in the 80s and required every consumer (not just carriers or manufacturers) to get a license to make a cellular call. after all, the fcc controls the airwaves and we have no idea what they overpowered cellular phones and their amps systems will do to emergency frequencies, air traffic control, etc. we wouldn't have iphones and cheap smartphones. which is why the drone industry is having trouble taking off.
The government had to have its nose PULLED OUT of the Telecom industry by Reagan and deregulation, otherwise we still might not have cell phones. If you like your smart phones -thank Ronald Reagan.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure