DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about using Dji goggles for ride along/ friend

Reactions
Searching for some wisdom knowing there is a great deal of wisdom in the forum.
I have a Mavic Pro and was given a set of Dji Goggles.
I'd like to use them purely for letting bystanders and friends enjoy the perspective of flight by using the goggles.
My concern is correct set up for that purpose. I can see that head tracking gimbal setup and locking the header would be safe in giving the goggles to a bystander for a flight.
It seems having the goggles in head tracking flight mode might be a bad setting to hand over goggles to a bystander in that their head movements may cause issues while I fly VLOS.
Wondering what is the best goggle setting before handing them off to a bystander while I fly VLOS.
Manual shows that my inputs using the controller take priority but could get interesting if I have to fight the head movements of the person wearing the goggles. Your wisdom or experiences in correctly setting up the goggles to avoid any potential problems while having the goggles used by a bystander would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all and thanks large for your help.

You still use your viewing device with the M1P, so can fly like normal VLOS and / or fpv with your usual device connected.
The goggles just work for the bystander viewing then.
I would allow gimbal tracking mode for them if desired, but would probably not allow head tracking flight mode.

You still use your viewing device with the M1P, so can fly like normal VLOS and / or fpv with your usual device connected.
I would allow gimbal tracking mode for them if desired, but would probably not allow head tracking flight mode.

I agree -use gimbal tracking mode only for guests.

And one more thing; if they’re not used to FPV flight I make them SIT DOWN so they don’t fall down.

For many people the visual reference is necessary for good balance and I’ve seen this take its toll on people the first time they use the goggles.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Thanks. Found sitting in a chair was where I ended up first time trying immersed flying with my racing drones. Laws here in Canada don't allow immersed pilots with the exception of organized MAAC events. Thanks for confirming the gimbal track and fpv modes for guests.
It appears that what intel flight mode I select on the remote is primary and over rides any flight modes the goggles are set for. I plan to default them to tripod mode and lock the panel before handing off to the viewer. Would that be the safest?
Thanks for sharing your experience. Best wishes

Make sure you lock the touchpad on the side of the goggles before you hand them to anyone to view. Safe flying.
Thanks. Found sitting in a chair was where I ended up first time trying immersed flying with my racing drones. Laws here in Canada don't allow immersed pilots with the exception of organized MAAC events. Thanks for confirming the gimbal track and fpv modes for guests.
It appears that what intel flight mode I select on the remote is primary and over rides any flight modes the goggles are set for. I plan to default them to tripod mode and lock the panel before handing off to the viewer. Would that be the safest?
Thanks for sharing your experience. Best wishes

Reactions: WAXMAN
Searching for some wisdom knowing there is a great deal of wisdom in the forum.
I have a Mavic Pro and was given a set of Dji Goggles.
I'd like to use them purely for letting bystanders and friends enjoy the perspective of flight by using the goggles.
My concern is correct set up for that purpose. I can see that head tracking gimbal setup and locking the header would be safe in giving the goggles to a bystander for a flight.
It seems having the goggles in head tracking flight mode might be a bad setting to hand over goggles to a bystander in that their head movements may cause issues while I fly VLOS.
Wondering what is the best goggle setting before handing them off to a bystander while I fly VLOS.
Manual shows that my inputs using the controller take priority but could get interesting if I have to fight the head movements of the person wearing the goggles. Your wisdom or experiences in correctly setting up the goggles to avoid any potential problems while having the goggles used by a bystander would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all and thanks large for your help.
Lock the touchpad on the goggles before letting someone use them while you are flying. Safe flying

Reactions: Gindra
Sony Experia Z3 Tablet airplane mode
Huawei P 20 Pro airplane mode
Both do it.
App freezes on both if I power down goggles before Mavic Pro shutdown have to come out of Djigo4 then back in.
Android thing I guess.....still have controller connection.

Last edited:
Sony Experia Z3 Tablet airplane mode
Huawei P 20 Pro airplane mode
Both do it.
App freezes on both if I power down goggles before Mavic Pro shutdown have to come out of Djigo4 then back in.
Android thing I guess.....still have controller connection.
Thanks. The reason I was asking was that I should get my new goggles in a few days and I though I could try to replicate the issue, but alas, I use IOS. I will try it anyway.

Yeah! What he said! :)

As I pretty much fly alone my RE goggles are used 100% for ride alongs. I could do without all of the goggles controls as they're not used anyway. I would have much preferred a cable connecting the goggles to the RC instead of a transmitter. In this wooded hill country the googles don't have the anywhere near the range the MP2 does.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy