DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Visual Line of Sight

Palerider

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have an anti-collision strobe light on my Mavic 2 zoom. I can see this light a long way away but I don't see the drone itself. If I can see the anti-collision light is this still considered OK with the FAA VLOS rules? Thanks everyone for helping out this newbie.

I have an anti-collision strobe light on my Mavic 2 zoom. I can see this light a long way away but I don't see the drone itself. If I can see the anti-collision light is this still considered OK with the FAA VLOS rules? Thanks everyone for helping out this newbie.
Maybe but probably not. The regulations say that not only must you be able to see the drone (strobe satisfied this requirement), but you must also be able to see its orientation. Typically a red strobe on the left and a green strobe on the right would satisfy the orientation requirement if you are still close enough to clearly differentiate the strobes and thus know the orientation of the drone.

Actually, the Recreational Guidelines only say:

5. Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.

There is no requirement to "see it's orientation"....

And in 14 CFR Part 107.31;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

So, Recreationally you just need to be able to see it, or someone next to you can see it.

Flying under 107 rules, you need to be able to "determine" it's orientation (attitude, the direction of flight) and there's a real difference between "seeing" it's orientation and "determining" it's orientation. With just a bright strobe I may not be able to "see" it's orientation, but I could certainly "determine" it's orientation by stick inputs and movement of the strobe light.

Determine (4)

Last edited:
personally, I think you are splitting hairs - determining versus seeing - pretty much the same thing in my opinion, but I am a newbie - so I don't really know. Bottom line regardless of all of that, I think it would be wise to "err on the side of caution", but that's just me....

A little bit of common sense is required here. Would you be able to control your drone to a safe return to home if all aids such as camera and maps failed? That's the rule I fly by. So orientation is paramount for me. The strobes are simply a means to assist that orientation and not a test of how far I can stretch the VLOS rule.
Works for me!

A little bit of common sense is required here. Would you be able to control your drone to a safe return to home if all aids such as camera and maps failed? That's the rule I fly by. So orientation is paramount for me. The strobes are simply a means to assist that orientation and not a test of how far I can stretch the VLOS rule.
Works for me!

Very well stated!!

Reactions: Gindra
a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.

Interesting. I never realized that your spotter had to be colocated with the pilot. I have seen videos where they would place spotters a mile away from the pilot and then keep in contact via walkie-take or phone. So this is against FAA rules (if the pilot cannot see the drone but the spotter can)?

Interesting. I never realized that your spotter had to be colocated with the pilot. I have seen videos where they would place spotters a mile away from the pilot and then keep in contact via walkie-take or phone. So this is against FAA rules (if the pilot cannot see the drone but the spotter can)?

Yes, absolutely against FAA regulations. Those you see on YouTube are deliberately ignoring regulations and have little regard for the safety of others.

To remain legal the person operating the controls (currently as of 7/13/2020) has to be able to look up and see the aircraft. They don't have to be looking at the aircraft all the time the VO is there to temporarily take over that role but the person operating the sticks must be ABLE to see the aircraft. So a VO does not extend VLOS at all.

Reactions: PistonPete
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78