DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question for those who take photos in RAW...

ianmeg

Reactions
I have a Mini 3 Pro and always take images using both JPG and RAW formats as RAW supposedly gives more flexibility when it comes to editing them afterwards. However, when I open a RAW image in my photo editing software (I use Affinity Photo) the image is washed out, dull and a lifeless. When I open the JPG version of the image it looks totally fine and just like how the photo was taken at the time. It's a bit baffling and thoguht my software isn't good at editing RAW images taken on a DJI drone.

So for those people out there who shoot and edit RAW images on their DJI drones.. I was just wondering what photo editing software you use?

Does DJI have its own purpose built software for doing this even?

I have a Mini 3 Pro and always take images using both JPG and RAW formats as RAW supposedly gives more flexibility when it comes to editing them afterwards. However, when I open a RAW image in my photo editing software (I use Affinity Photo) the image is washed out, dull and a lifeless. When I open the JPG version of the image it looks totally fine and just like how the photo was taken at the time. It's a bit baffling and thoguht my software isn't good at editing RAW images taken on a DJI drone.

So for those people out there who shoot and edit RAW images on their DJI drones.. I was just wondering what photo editing software you use?

The camera captures all of the information the sensor sees. And if RAW is enabled, that data is stored unprocessed on the memory card. At the same time, the RAW data is processed/edited to match the vendors (in this case DJI) style or look and then saved alongside the RAW file as a JPG file. So basically the JPG is already edited and the RAW file isn't. You need to "develop" the RAW file using the Affinity Pro software to your liking. But if the JPG images are to your liking, then maybe stop saving RAW files which are larger than the JPG versions.

The camera captures all of the information the sensor sees. And if RAW is enabled, that data is stored unprocessed on the memory card. At the same time, the RAW data is processed/edited to match the vendors (in this case DJI) style or look and then saved alongside the RAW file as a JPG file. So basically the JPG is already edited and the RAW file isn't. You need to "develop" the RAW file using the Affinity Pro software to your liking. But if the JPG images are to your liking, then maybe stop saving RAW files which are larger than the JPG versions.
I have a hand-held DLSR camera (Nikon) and it shoots in RAW too. When I load the RAW image from it in to Affinity Photo it looks just like its JPG counterprt and it gives more options in editing.

However, the DJI version of the RAW image just produces an inferior photo.

I assumed the photo editing software recognised Nikon's RAW file type but it doesn't seem to reognise DJI's version of RAW.

Software devs typically do create default profiles that aren't completely bland, but yes it depends on them to have made one for the particular camera.
LR has had some for all the DJI aircraft I've had, Guess Affinity doesn't at least for that aircraft.

Reactions: ianmeg
Software devs typically do create default profiles that aren't completely bland, but yes it depends on them to have made one for the particular camera.
LR has had some for all the DJI aircraft I've had, Guess Affinity doesn't at least for that aircraft.
This sounds exactly what's happened.

I was hoping someone here would be able to recommend an answer or alternative.

You'd think drone photography is so big now and DJI ar the biggest manufacturer so there would be a decent option out there for shooting and editing RAW files

The image looks dull, flat and lifeless because you need to edit it. The RAW image holds a lot more data and is uncompressed, but that means you need to spend more time on correcting the lighting, HSL, whites/blacks, etc.

A JPG uses a preplanned colour profile and compresses the image. The quality is good, but not suitable for serious image work, like cropping, large format printing, etc. Plus, when you try to change colouring or lighting, you will have more limited results.

Watch some YouTube videos on RAW image editing to learn the basics of your workflow. It's not as much work as it sounds and software like Adobe Lightroom allow you to make edits on one image, copy the settings, and apply them to other images to give a similar look and feel.

To expand a bit on what DDDDMF said: Every digital image begins life as RAW data. A JPG is simply RAW data that's processed in-camera to produce a pleasing and useable (meaning it can be shared and printed) image. JPGs can be further edited to change things like color balance, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and to correct distortion, but each edit results in some loss of original data. Thus, editing of a JPG is like traveling down a one-way street. You can enter and move down it, making changes along the way, but you can't move back.

RAW data on a monitor screen looks relatively dull and lifeless because it hasn't been processed yet to produce a useable image. RAW converters like Lightroom and Affinity allow editing without destroying or losing any of the original data, so you can always go back to the original data and start over if you aren't satisfied with your editing results.

Frankly, the cameras in a typical consumer drone can't and don't begin to match the image quality of a typical consumer DSLR. Although I exclusively shoot and process RAW data in my DSLRs and use both Lightroom and Affinity (the latter mostly for processing focus-stacks), I'm perfectly happy to shoot only JPGs with my Air 3. They're adequate for viewing at reasonable scales but lack the resolution and clarity to make large prints. And, because file sizes are smaller, JPGs don't take up nearly as much storage space on my computer hard drive as would RAW files.

The image looks dull, flat and lifeless because you need to edit it. The RAW image holds a lot more data and is uncompressed, but that means you need to spend more time on correcting the lighting, HSL, whites/blacks, etc.

A JPG uses a preplanned colour profile and compresses the image. The quality is good, but not suitable for serious image work, like cropping, large format printing, etc. Plus, when you try to change colouring or lighting, you will have more limited results.

Watch some YouTube videos on RAW image editing to learn the basics of your workflow. It's not as much work as it sounds and software like Adobe Lightroom allow you to make edits on one image, copy the settings, and apply them to other images to give a similar look and feel.
Hello, thanks for the reply.

I've neen editing RAW images for a couple of years now and have my head around most of the enhacnements like shadows, lighting etc.. but those were being done to RAW images taken on a Nikon camera and the starting point was very good when I loaded thst file in to my software.

It just seems as tho DJI's own version of RAW isn't as straight forward to bring in to th editing software and it struggles to produce the same results.

My software must not have the same camera/lens values so it struggles to interpret the RAW files taken on a DJI product.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
I use Lightroom and Photoshop and have no issues. I'm not familiar with the software you're using, but that may be the issue.

Reactions: maggior and sarahb
The cameras on drones are limited, but in many cases better than phone cameras (but, yes, worse than DSLR or mirrorless). I shoot RAW because I want the flexibility and want to meet the client's needs. If they need to blow up a drone image for a billboard, RAW is really your only option. No client will pay for a JPG and print it on a huge billboard.

That said, if your drone images only ever end up on social media or web content, then JPG will probably be just fine. You'll save space, the images are still adequately editable, faster to upload, etc.

Reactions: MS Coast and ianmeg
The cameras on drones are limited, but in many cases better than phone cameras (but, yes, worse than DSLR or mirrorless)
Not necessarily.

Reactions: sarahb and ianmeg
To expand a bit on what DDDDMF said: Every digital image begins life as RAW data. A JPG is simply RAW data that's processed in-camera to produce a pleasing and useable (meaning it can be shared and printed) image. JPGs can be further edited to change things like color balance, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and to correct distortion, but each edit results in some loss of original data. Thus, editing of a JPG is like traveling down a one-way street. You can enter and move down it, making changes along the way, but you can't move back.

RAW data on a monitor screen looks relatively dull and lifeless because it hasn't been processed yet to produce a useable image. RAW converters like Lightroom and Affinity allow editing without destroying or losing any of the original data, so you can always go back to the original data and start over if you aren't satisfied with your editing results.

Frankly, the cameras in a typical consumer drone can't and don't begin to match the image quality of a typical consumer DSLR. Although I exclusively shoot and process RAW data in my DSLRs and use both Lightroom and Affinity (the latter mostly for processing focus-stacks), I'm perfectly happy to shoot only JPGs with my Air 3. They're adequate for viewing at reasonable scales but lack the resolution and clarity to make large prints. And, because file sizes are smaller, JPGs don't take up nearly as much storage space on my computer hard drive as would RAW files.

The left hand image is the JPG and the right hand image is the RAW. The RAW image is so poor that in my limited ability I can't edit the RAW to the point that it is as good as the JPG version. It means I'm left editing for so much longer trying to get it better looking. I may as well just use the JPG as my starting point for editing and just forget the RAW altogether.

I get that the RAW is unprocessed and it needs work but this isn't the case with the Nikon RAW images which are identical looking to their JPG counterparts.

As was mentioned - maybe Photoshop or Lightroom make for a better starting point for editing RAW files with DJI drones. My own woftware (Affinity Photo) just doesn't seem to give you the same starting point with the drones as it does with my Nikon.

Attachments

• Ex01.png
    Ex01.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
The left hand image is the JPG and the right hand image is the RAW. The RAW image is so poor that in my limited ability I can't edit the RAW to the point that it is as good as the JPG version. It means I'm left editing for so much longer trying to get it better looking. I may as well just use the JPG as my starting point for editing and just forget the RAW altogether.

I get that the RAW is unprocessed and it needs work but this isn't the case with the Nikon RAW images which are identical looking to their JPG counterparts.

As was mentioned - maybe Photoshop or Lightroom make for a better starting point for editing RAW files with DJI drones. My own woftware (Affinity Photo) just doesn't seem to give you the same starting point with the drones as it does with my Nikon.
Upload the raw image to Google Drive and share the link. That will allow me to take a look at it.

Reactions: sarahb
Hello, thanks for the reply.

I've neen editing RAW images for a couple of years now and have my head around most of the enhacnements like shadows, lighting etc.. but those were being done to RAW images taken on a Nikon camera and the starting point was very good when I loaded thst file in to my software.

It just seems as tho DJI's own version of RAW isn't as straight forward to bring in to th editing software and it struggles to produce the same results.

My software must not have the same camera/lens values so it struggles to interpret the RAW files taken on a DJI product.
I've never had an issue with Lightroom, and in fact it evem has lens profiles for the DJI drone lenses.

The image that appears in the RAW editor browser is the low resolution JPG preview embedded in the DNG files 'undeveloped' image data.

It is true that different RAW editors will display the same DNG 'images' differently, I think the trick is to find one or two that suit you best. I use both fee-ware (Photo ninja - initial lens/chromatic aberration correction and first stage detail enhancement) and freeware (Darktable - fine tuning, microcontrast and final denoise).

Different camera developers will have slightly different standards, so comparing a Nikon RAW with a DJI DNG will only add to the confusion.

DJI's "version" of RAW is the widely accepted cross-platform standard for raw image data: the Adobe Digital NeGative.

Last edited:
There are a lot of RAW developers, but I've been using Lightroom since it was released. It has camera matching color profiles, so the images come with the same color they get on camera instead of the stramline Adobe Color profile which renders every DNG the same.

That's the main reason digital photography lost “character”, because everyone uses the same profile and automatic white balance, while each brand of film had their own “embedded” color profile and a set WB.

Drones tend to miss these profiles for some reason, but you can play with other profiles or make your own. RAW is the only way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjwmorrell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alphaagentleads