DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question I should already know the answer to.....

slotcop1

Reactions
Quick question, so if I take off with my Mavic, I can't fly over 400 feet high correct??? However if I take off at the bottom of a cliff or slope, and that slope is 200 ft high, can I only fly another 200 ft or 400 above the ground or is it solely based on where you take off???? Thank you for your help!!!!

Quick question, so if I take off with my Mavic, I can't fly over 400 feet high correct??? However if I take off at the bottom of a cliff or slope, and that slope is 200 ft high, can I only fly another 200 ft or 400 above the ground or is it solely based on where you take off???? Thank you for your help!!!!

I'm assuming you are in the USA?

There is the technical limit, and the legal limit.

Legal limit is don't fly 400ft above the ground directly under the Mavic. So yes, if you are flying up a slope, you could stay 400ft above it the whole way. That is the FAA rule (though certainly your local laws may vary).

The technical limit, "Max Altitude" is set in your settings in the DJI app where you can set what you want your ceiling to be (usually 400ft / 121 m). That max altitude is relative to your takeoff point. So if you take off in a valley and try to fly up a slope, you would hit your max altitude halfway up the hill before you got to the top, yes.

For recreational flight (in the US) the 400 ft limit is a guideline, and refers to the altitude above the ground below the aircraft (AGL), not altitude above takeoff. So you can certainly ascend more than 400 ft in the scenario that you describe and still be within the safety guidelines. You will have to increase the maximum altitude in the aircraft settings, which can go up to 500 m.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu