DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

question - mavic mini w/ additional payload

japharl

Reactions
So, I have a non-standard question. I would like to test a kite photography rig, via drone. Where I live, the winds are unreliably gusty, however, where I go on vacation, the winds are good, and drones are often prohibited. So, I fly kites there, and take photos via a raspberry pi that I send up with the kite. (See https://kite.zakz.info for more info.) So, at home, would like to simulate a kite, by sending the payload, hanging from a string attached to the drone, which would be about 20g additional weight, send it up 100 ft and just let it stay motionless to test software / reliability of payload (which is surprisingly non-trivial). Is there a good approach to do this? (Or is it just not recommended at all?).
Thanks
Zak

An object "dangling" from a string under the UAS can cause stability issues. Depending on the weight of the suspended object compared to the weight of the aircraft, the wind conditions, and the length of the string the oscillation can get out of hand and cause a crash. I'm not speaking hypothetically as I lost one UAS testing a drop mechanism a couple of years ago. I could lift off and fly around just fine but when I tried to hover the oscillation kept growing as the aircraft was trying to stabilize it and it eventually was more than it could handle and we initiated a "Crash Landing". Resulting in 3 broken props, camera gimble, and a cracked landing gear.

Keep the weight low, string short and don't send anything up into the air that you can't afford to lose.

Since you're talking about doing this with a Mavic MINI I would seriously reconsider. It has no "power reserve" and in fact it seems to be under powered leading to some "Wind Issues".

Awesome, thank you for the advice. I'll reconsider my options for testing; thank you. :)

Also, thanks for moving the question to the right place; I'll post upcoming questions here in the future.
Zak

Reactions: BigAl07
A payload of 20g should not be a problem, especially if you omit the propeller guards. DJI sells the Snap Adapter with this caution: "The total combined weight of the Snap Adapter and payload should not exceed 30g".
But I agree fully with BA07 that a dangling payload may seriously confuse the MM's stabilizing algorithm.
A possible option might be to tape your payload to the MM's belly, ensuring that the cooling slots stay open, and perhaps put cushioning foam in between. However, your payload will not stay level, and you may get more vibrations than with a hanging payload. Also, good to keep in mind that the MM is not the most wind-resistant drone. Just my €0.02

Reactions: japharl and Hemadri
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard