DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question mini2

PapaMad

Reactions
I received a mini2 at Christmas, my first drone, and having a ball learning how to operate it. During my reading and research I see where using the Litchi app you can use waypoint and follow, my question is why is this not part of DJI Fly app? I am not opposed to purchasing Litchi app,but if a third party product offers these options, why not DJI. It looks like they are shooting themselves in the foot.

my question is why is this not part of DJI Fly app?
The Fly app is a very basic entry-level app that is missing many options and features that are included in its predecessor, DJI Go 4.
I am not opposed to purchasing Litchi app,but if a third party product offers these options, why not DJI. It looks like they are shooting themselves in the foot.
DJI does have an implementation of waypint flying in the DJI Go 4 app, but it was never as well developed as that provided by Litchi.

The Fly app is a very basic entry-level app that is missing many options and features that are included in its predecessor, DJI Go 4.

DJI does have an implementation of waypint flying in the DJI Go 4 app, but it was never as well developed as that provided by Litchi.
I realize that this is the basic, but DJI software has to support Litchi App. why not use their own control system? I am a retired electronic technician and have had experience with third party applications and the problems they have. Maybe I am over thinking this but it makes no sense to me why it is not offered by the drone maker, or does DJI own Litchi?

I realize that this is the basic, but DJI software has to support Litchi App. why not use their own control system? I am a retired electronic technician and have had experience with third party applications and the problems they have. Maybe I am over thinking this but it makes no sense to me why it is not offered by the drone maker, or does DJI own Litchi?
No .. DJI doesn't own Litchi.
Originally DJI didn't have any waypoint software and Litchi saw the niche and developed their product to fill the gap.
When DJI tried to implement a waypoint feature, it wasn't competitive and they seem to have ignored it and not developed it any further.

To understand why DJI do the things they do, you'd have to ask them.
But you won't get any answers, that's just how they are.

No .. DJI doesn't own Litchi.
Originally DJI didn't have any waypoint software and Litchi saw the niche and developed their product to fill the gap.
When DJI tried to implement a waypoint feature, it wasn't competitive and they seem to have ignored it and not developed it any further.

To understand why DJI do the things they do, you'd have to ask them.
But you won't get any answers, that's just how they are.
thanks for the reply,

I received a mini2 at Christmas, my first drone, and having a ball learning how to operate it. During my reading and research I see where using the Litchi app you can use waypoint and follow, my question is why is this not part of DJI Fly app? I am not opposed to purchasing Litchi app,but if a third party product offers these options, why not DJI. It looks like they are shooting themselves in the foot.
DJI purposly left tracking / follow out of the Mini 2 to try and upsell the customer to at least the Mavic Air 2. DJI has the engineers to design and offer just about any feature you can think of so when something isn't available its typically because of marketing or safety concerns.

With other brand's new sub 250 gram drones coming out with features such as tracking there is a chance that it will be added to the Mini 2...... but it is much more likely to be available starting with the Mini 3 which is rumored for a late spring release.

Litchi is a good piece of software with Waypoints, Tracking, and FPV flying but before you open your wallet, make sure you have an Android phone/tablet. The version that can fly the Mini 2 is not currently available for Apple phones.

DJI purposly left tracking / follow out of the Mini 2 to try and upsell the customer to at least the Mavic Air 2. DJI has the engineers to design and offer just about any feature you can think of so when something isn't available its typically because of marketing or safety concerns.

With other brand's new sub 250 gram drones coming out with features such as tracking there is a chance that it will be added to the Mini 2...... but it is much more likely to be available starting with the Mini 3 which is rumored for a late spring release.

Litchi is a good piece of software with Waypoints, Tracking, and FPV flying but before you open your wallet, make sure you have an Android phone/tablet. The version that can fly the Mini 2 is not currently available for Apple phones.
that is the reason I have not already purchased, I use an iPod mini6 , but thanks for the reply.

That's an odd viewpoint that I see repeated all the time in drone forums.
It's illogical to suggest that entry-level models could have all the features of the more advanced models, but they are left off in an attempt to upsell the more expensive models.

Does that concept apply to any other product.
Do Nikon or GM leave features off their cheaper cameras and cars, so they can sell more of their flagship models?
Or perhaps they offer a range of models to cater to different market segments and experience levels?

I've always assumed (without evidence) that DJI limits autonomous flight on consumer model drones because some people are already prone to flying beyond line of sight, or into airspace where they don't belong, and sometimes into solid objects. Creating a way for less experience folks to "program" their drone just increases the likelihood of, for example a collision because the operator is not watching what the drone is doing. If waypoints are provided by a third party app, DJI can distance themselves from any possible liability.

Does that concept apply to any other product.
Do Nikon or GM leave features off their cheaper cameras and cars, so they can sell more of their flagship models?
The answer is yes...it is done all the time, with cameras, cars and many other products. Its not an odd concept at all. Features are put in or left out to create reasons to buy a more expensive model.

Certain drone features like sensors and bigger cameras actually cost more money to produce. Tracking software is left out simply to attempt an upsell. Tracking will soon be standard on all other brands of drones so you will see DJI add it to keep up. I will guarantee it will be a feature on the Mini 3 when it finally shows.

The answer is yes...it is done all the time, with cameras, cars and many other products. Its not an odd concept at all. Features are put in or left out to create reasons to buy a more expensive model.
That's completely backwards.
Who buys a fully featured model because there was an entry level model with less features at a cheaper price?
Manufacturers make low-end models for that segment of the market that wants a simple or cheaper model.
They make a range from entry level, through mid-range to advanced so that they cover all the bases and have something for everyone.

They make a range from entry level, through mid-range to advanced so that they cover all the bases and have something for everyone.
That's true.... but the features they include or leave out are designed to try to sell the more expensive model. It costs more to produce a more expensive product but production costs are often much more similar than you think. Often a product that costs just a few more dollars to produce will be marketed for hundreds of dollars more. Its true of cameras, drones, computers and phones.

Marketing and competition are the driving forces behind what a mainstream product is priced at and what is included.

but the features they include or leave out are designed to try to sell the more expensive model.

I'm a Spark pilot and I remember reading about a hacked Go4 app that unlocked some of the Mavic features that wasn't available for the Spark.

I never hacked my Spark, but the pilots that did seemed to like the improvement without having to purchase a Mavic.

DJI produced Ground Station which was limited to certain drones and only available on IOS.
Regards

I've always assumed (without evidence) that DJI limits autonomous flight on consumer model drones because some people are already prone to flying beyond line of sight, or into airspace where they don't belong, and sometimes into solid objects. Creating a way for less experience folks to "program" their drone just increases the likelihood of, for example a collision because the operator is not watching what the drone is doing. If waypoints are provided by a third party app, DJI can distance themselves from any possible liability.
you sir are probably correct, thanks

you sir are probably correct, thanks
If DJI actually thought that way they wouldn't be producing an entry level drone like the Mini 2 with a range of 6 miles.
Waypoint flying doesn't enable flying beyond visual range, or into airspace where they don't belong, orinto solid objects any more than any other kind of flying.

In addition to everything that's been said, it's a legal / liability issue, as the Mini 2 does not have obstacle avoidance. Yes, this is splitting hairs on their part, as both the DJI Quickshots functionality and RTH fly the drone autonomously even though it doesn't have obstacle avoidance. Anyway that is one of their primary excuses to not include it, and it may even be justifiable on their part to avoid liability issues.

One thing to remember is that the Mini 2 has only one obstacle sensor pointing down. If you are tracking near obstacles like trees or buildings, it is up to as the pilot to avoid them. For me it kind of defeats the purpose of automatic tracking unless you are in an open field or beach area with no nearby obstacles. Still...I will probably give it a try at some point. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78