DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoint Import, 3rd Party Apps, RC 2 RC-N2

Flyhighx

Reactions
I have held onto my Mavic 2 pro due to the lack of waypoint support from the initial Mavic 3 release. I have dozens of commercial projects that are ongoing and rely on waypoint missions that are stored on my ipad mini 4, used with the Mavic 2 pro. I am looking to purchase the Air 3 but would absolutely need to be able to use my waypoint missions and import them over. Can anyone help answer these questions?

• Can I import the .db waypoint files from my ipad mini into the RC 2?
  • Can I continue to use my ipad mini 4 (was using DJI GO 4) with the RC-N2 (Fly app) and use the existing waypoints?
  • Can I import the waypoint db files into a 3rd party app such as Litchi and use that in either the RC 2 or RC-N2 (with ipad)?
  • Can the RC 2 and/or RC N2 use 3rd party apps with the Air 3 such as Drone Deploy or Litchi?
Thank you!

Reactions: Jack in Dixie
@Flyhighx are you aware that the Air 3 has waypoints built in
with regards to your questions ,probably not right now

It is doubtful that DJI will release a SDK for the Litichi app. Time will tell. But, as @old man mavic stated, you can use the Waypoint feature built in the Air 3

Thank you all for the replies. I do understand that the Air 3 has a waypoint feature. However, my main goal, and the reason why I haven't upgraded from the Mavic 2 pro yet is that I have existing and ongoing commercial projects that are dependent on waypoint missions that are stored in ios (ipad mini 4). These waypoint missions are for construction projects that are ongoing 2+ yr projects so I would need any drone I upgrade to (Mavic 3, Air 3, etc.) to be able to either import those waypoints into the new drone's waypoint system, or import those waypoints into Litchi and run that in the new drone.

So, can the Air 3 run Litchi on either the RC 2 or RC-N2 or can the waypoints db be imported into the Air's fly app on either the RC 2 or RC-N2?

Thanks!

Thank you all for the replies. I do understand that the Air 3 has a waypoint feature. However, my main goal, and the reason why I haven't upgraded from the Mavic 2 pro yet is that I have existing and ongoing commercial projects that are dependent on waypoint missions that are stored in ios (ipad mini 4). These waypoint missions are for construction projects that are ongoing 2+ yr projects so I would need any drone I upgrade to (Mavic 3, Air 3, etc.) to be able to either import those waypoints into the new drone's waypoint system, or import those waypoints into Litchi and run that in the new drone.

So, can the Air 3 run Litchi on either the RC 2 or RC-N2 or can the waypoints db be imported into the Air's fly app on either the RC 2 or RC-N2?

Thanks!
All your missions are saved in your Litchi account. Therefore, IF dJI decides to produce a SDK for Litchi and other 3rd party vendors, all you would do is install Litchi and log into your Litchi account. All your saved missions will be there. But it is a big IF DJI releases the SDK

I have held onto my Mavic 2 pro due to the lack of waypoint support from the initial Mavic 3 release. I have dozens of commercial projects that are ongoing and rely on waypoint missions that are stored on my ipad mini 4, used with the Mavic 2 pro. I am looking to purchase the Air 3 but would absolutely need to be able to use my waypoint missions and import them over. Can anyone help answer these questions?
I can answer your questions.
Can I import the .db waypoint files from my ipad mini into the RC 2?
No, you cannot. In the GO4 app used by the Mavic 2, the waypoint missions are stored in a SQLite database in the "waypoints.db" file. The DJI Fly app stores waypoints as XML data using the WPML language. While all of your mission data is extractable from the "waypoints.db" file, I am not aware of any existing software that would convert that data to the WPML format used in DJI Fly.

Can I continue to use my ipad mini 4 (was using DJI GO 4) with the RC-N2 (Fly app) and use the existing waypoints?
I've heard reports that the iPad Mini 4 is a bit underpowered when trying to run DJI Fly. No, you cannot use the waypoints stored with Go4 on a drone that requires DJI Fly for the reasons given above.

Can I import the waypoint db files into a 3rd party app such as Litchi and use that in either the RC 2 or RC-N2 (with ipad)?
Litchi does not directly support the importing of waypoints from DJI's SQLite format.

Can the RC 2 and/or RC N2 use 3rd party apps with the Air 3 such as Drone Deploy or Litchi?
No third-party apps can be installed on the DJI RC or DJI RC2. I have head of some people using hacks to get other apps installed on the DJI RC but I have no information on that.

The RC-N1 and RC-N2 require a phone or tablet. You can install any compatible app you wish on a phone or tablet. However, DJI has not said anything about releasing an SDK for the Air 3. Without an SDK, no third party app developers can support the Air 3.

I have written a number of converters for Litchi and DJI Fly waypoint formats. However, I have never bothered writing one for DJI Go4 and the Mavic 2.

It has been my experience, DJI releases the SDK approximately 6 months after the release of the drone. This allows all the 3rd party developers to modify their products to support the new drone. Don't expect to see the SDK before then!

The SDK’s don’t all support Litchi communication. DJI is pretty coy about Litchi support. It seems like they would prefer not to make it available at all, and force the user to rely on the DJI implementation of waypoints.

The SDK’s don’t all support Litchi communication.
What are you trying to say? Can you point to one MSDK which Litchi is unable to use?

DJI is pretty coy about Litchi support.
What about Dronelink or Maven? Is DJI "coy" about those as well?
It seems like they would prefer not to make it available at all, and force the user to rely on the DJI implementation of waypoints.
If DJI does not want 3rd party apps to be used with DJI drones, they should not release an MSDK for those 3rd party app developers. But they do for most of their drones with the Mavic 3 (non enterprise) series being the obvious exception.

However, my main goal, and the reason why I haven't upgraded from the Mavic 2 pro yet is that I have existing and ongoing commercial projects that are dependent on waypoint missions that are stored in ios (ipad mini 4).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown