DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on video telemetry data rate

Brojon

Reactions
I saw a blurb from a guy who said to use 720p for the display video so it won't max out the 4K data rate.
Does this make sense? Can anyone explain?

Thanks - his assertion was to just set it as default so maybe it doesn't switch automatically in the DJI Go4.

"max out the 4K data rate" doesn't mean anything, but what he probably tries to say is that you can only record 4K if you stream 720p which is correct. If you stream in 1080 you can only record 1080.

"max out the 4K data rate" doesn't mean anything, but what he probably tries to say is that you can only record 4K if you stream 720p which is correct. If you stream in 1080 you can only record 1080.
That’s good info. I’m getting CPU overload errors on my iPad mini 2 recording 4K hoping a change to 720p will help. Makes sense right?

Not at all, what's taxing the pad is the downstream, not what's recorded on the aircraft. If you're filming 4K, the downstream is already 720p.
Mini 2 is just too slow, try disabling video cache but that will probably not be enough.

Mini 2 is not quick enough. In the summer it is a disaster. It will overheat and really be unusable. I did some research on this last year during the summer. I can tell you that the new GO app is too much for the Mini 2. In the dead of winter you will get some use out of it because it is cool enough to operate without throttling perfomance but as soon as it heats up outside the device will overheat because it is working so hard. When the device gets warm the performance on the mini 2 will be throttled to protect the device and you will have big video lag. My advice is fly with it while you can but have an eye on getting a new device. When the temperature reaches 85 plus... Your device will start lagging. In the 90's you might as well not even launch with the mini.

Not at all, what's taxing the pad is the downstream, not what's recorded on the aircraft. If you're filming 4K, the downstream is already 720p.
Mini 2 is just too slow, try disabling video cache but that will probably not be enough.
100% correct and no disabling the cache will not correct the problem. What will work is flying it in a cool environment. I flew yesterday and had no problems. But the temp is 32 here. Still if you fly a few batteries you will start having lag... I would not use the Mini 2 for flying DJI any longer.

Most excellent info. The iPad mini 4 is a bit hard to come by these days. Will have to check eBay. Or forget mounting the tablet to the controller, change my rig to a larger tablet with a nice sun shade and neck strap. What are the top tablets?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000