DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question re FSDO vs. CFI for current airplane pilot seeking Part 107 during gov’t shutdown: fastest method?

Maviac

Reactions
Hey folks (and sorry if this should have been in another forum - this one seemed to have some similar discussions but feel free to move it).

I’ve talked a friend (who is an experienced drone pilot already) into getting his Part 107 certification. He’s a current Part 61 private pilot with a current flight review, and he’s already taken the FAAST course so all that’s left to do is submission to the FAA. I’d like him to do some small-scale commercial work for me pretty soon (yeah, I could do it myself, but for logistical reasons I’d rather just hand it off to someone else).

The question is, as of today, taking into account the government shutdown, what is the fastest way to get at least a temporary certificate?

The easiest options seem to be going to a CFI and submitting everything via IACRA, or visiting the FSDO. I don’t know if the FSDOs are even doing these right now (my guess would be no) or if they are what sort of backlog they have or if processing is behind.

My understanding is the FSDO can issue an immediate certificate, so, assuming they are doing them and there’s no big wait, that might be the best route. Does anyone know if they are even processing these now and issuing temps?

The CFI route is the easiest, and could probably be done as early as this afternoon. But the CFI can’t issue a temporary certificate. If I recall correctly, I seem to remember being able to download a temp through IACRA when I did mine with a CFI, but I can’t remember if it was immediate or if the FAA had to do something to approve it. If the latter, does anyone know if the FAA is issuing temp certificates during the shutdown?

Sorry, I know these are some fairly technical questions, but I thought someone here might know the answer. I just don’t want him to have to waive 30-60 days if he can help it.

If it helps for anyone with specific knowledge of this, it would be the Atlanta FSDO.

Thanks!

For anyone who might find this in the future, here’s the answer: as soon as the CFI cleared the application through IACRA, the temporary certificate was available for immediate download.

Reactions: sdold
Hey folks (and sorry if this should have been in another forum - this one seemed to have some similar discussions but feel free to move it).

I’ve talked a friend (who is an experienced drone pilot already) into getting his Part 107 certification. He’s a current Part 61 private pilot with a current flight review, and he’s already taken the FAAST course so all that’s left to do is submission to the FAA. I’d like him to do some small-scale commercial work for me pretty soon (yeah, I could do it myself, but for logistical reasons I’d rather just hand it off to someone else).

The question is, as of today, taking into account the government shutdown, what is the fastest way to get at least a temporary certificate?

The easiest options seem to be going to a CFI and submitting everything via IACRA, or visiting the FSDO. I don’t know if the FSDOs are even doing these right now (my guess would be no) or if they are what sort of backlog they have or if processing is behind.

My understanding is the FSDO can issue an immediate certificate, so, assuming they are doing them and there’s no big wait, that might be the best route. Does anyone know if they are even processing these now and issuing temps?

The CFI route is the easiest, and could probably be done as early as this afternoon. But the CFI can’t issue a temporary certificate. If I recall correctly, I seem to remember being able to download a temp through IACRA when I did mine with a CFI, but I can’t remember if it was immediate or if the FAA had to do something to approve it. If the latter, does anyone know if the FAA is issuing temp certificates during the shutdown?

Sorry, I know these are some fairly technical questions, but I thought someone here might know the answer. I just don’t want him to have to waive 30-60 days if he can help it.

If it helps for anyone with specific knowledge of this, it would be the Atlanta FSDO.

Thanks!
Fill out the IACRA
Make an appointment with your local FISDO.
They give you a temporary after seeing your last and current bi-annual no medical necessary.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy