DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question regarding Mavic pro controlled with a wifi ipad

neil4374

Reactions
Hello.
I have a question regarding a Mavic pro controlled with a wifi tablet.
If the tablet is sharing my iphones wifi hotpot, will the tablet be able to display the gps correctly?
Is there any function of the mavic pro that wont work, such as the follow me mode?
Thanks guys

Hello.
If the tablet is sharing my iphones wifi hotpot, will the tablet be able to display the gps correctly?
Is there any function of the mavic pro that wont work, such as the follow me mode?
Thanks guys
Hi Neil4374.
I have tried using an iPad mini 5th gen wifi only with a Bluetooth linked independent gps receiver using Dronelink for follow-me and it did not work, so not sure if it would work being hot spotted to your phone. I’ll have to give that a try.

Reactions: DougMcC
Hello.
Hotspotting shares internet data, but not position data from the phone's GPS.
Your iPad would still display the GPS location data from the drone, but it would not have any location data from the controller.
Follow-me mode won't work as there is no location data for the drone to follow.
About the only other thing that you can't do is to reset the homepoint to the controller's location.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks all for the help. I will give it fly and see. But it’s an iPad and I have also been told in won’t share gps location. The answer seems a tablet with gps

Your iPad would still display the GPS location data from the drone, but it would not have any location data from the controller.

About the only other thing that you can't do is to reset the homepoint to the controller's location.
I tired hotspotting and the connection was very slow when trying to access the internet. Although we don’t need the cellular connection to fly I wonder it that was the reason?

Sorry I am confused. What would be the problem if the gps location comes from the phone and not the controller? Thanks

Sorry I am confused. What would be the problem if the gps location comes from the phone and not the controller? Thanks
No problem.
The GPS location of the phone would be the same as the location of the controller.
I said GPS location of teh controller because that's the term that DJI use for one of the options for resetting the home point.
The other option is the current location of the drone.

Reactions: neil4374
No problem.
The GPS location of the phone would be the same as the location of the controller.
I said GPS location of teh controller because that's the term that DJI use for one of the options for resetting the home point.
The other option is the current location of the drone.
Thanks for explaining

I am sorry for not being clear on the follow me mode. Are you saying it wont work with a wifi tablet connected to a phone via a hotspot? Or are you saying it wont work with a wifi only tablet with no connection?

I am sorry for not being clear on the follow me mode. Are you saying it wont work with a wifi tablet connected to a phone via a hotspot? Or are you saying it wont work with a wifi only tablet with no connection?
If you are talking about an iPad, ... wifi iPads don't have built-in GPS.
But most Android tablets (even wifi-only models) have GPS.

You can't use follow-me without some way of the drone knowing where you are.
If you have a non-GPS tablet and hotspot from your phone, that will only share internet data with your tablet, but it doesn't share GPS data.

So if you are asking about a wifi-only iPad, hotspotting won't help you to use Follow-me.

Reactions: neil4374
If you are talking about an iPad, ... wifi iPads don't have built-in GPS.
But most Android tablets (even wifi-only models) have GPS.

You can't use follow-me without some way of the drone knowing where you are.
If you have a non-GPS tablet and hotspot from your phone, that will only share internet data with your tablet, but it doesn't share GPS data.

So if you are asking about a wifi-only iPad, hotspotting won't help you to use Follow-me.
Thank you for helping me understand:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU