DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question

True, so true! Crazy world we live in these days.
I make it to First Class. I have only wonderful memories of my days in the Scouts. However, my experiences were probably more varied that a lot of other kids received. I grew up in upstate New York, in the Adirondack Mountains, and we lived in a log cabin on the Schroon River… Our Scout troop met in our Church. The Scout Leaders all wore their full Scout uniform and encouraged us to also follow suit… Some friends remember shooting their first rifles in Scouts, a single shot .22, we shot a lot more… We shot shotguns, 410s, 20, 16, and 12 gauge, even got to shoot my first 4-bore, shot high power rifles, and bows, (hunting bows), we even shot an original Brown Bess Black Powder Muzzle Loader. We actually trapped small game for their pelts to earn extra money, we fished and ice-fished, and sold our catch to local restaurants. We learned boat safety, with real boats (I actually had my own 12' skiff with a 10 HP outboard, and so much more. When we went on hikes, it was in the real wilderness, not some city park… and we were expected to map our way and triangulate our location during the trip. We learned to repel on real cliff faces, not some "climbing wall," We built fires and cooked over our fires, (No, we did not rub two sticks together--bring wax coated, strike anywhere wooden matches and with steel striker sticks). Our scoutmaster could build a fire with his flint and striker steel… I could go on but I do not want to make anyone jealous… During my years in the Air Force, many of my friends were also Scouts and many of these things I did, they only watched movies of and never tasted a fresh caught trout over a camp fire or even got their Scout Uniform dirty from a weekend hike through woods, weeds, creeks, streams, and rivers. Because these were the things we needed to survive in our "neck of the woods" BTW, my family ran a Timber Tug ferrying logs down the river to the saw mill.

sounds a whole lot more interesting than mine.
We have to be careful about that expression "more interesting…" the old Chinese Curse was, "May you live in interesting times…" In reality, it meant that the person wishes you to live during times of uncertainty and disorder as opposed to peace and tranquility.

But yes, I sometime wonder if the Army took us kids live's experiences when they came up with the expression, "We do more before breakfast than most do all day…"

By the way, our log cabin did not get electricity until I was 5-years old and I was 7 before we got indoor plumbing, but that did not include an indoor toilet… (F 😉 L…) rhymes with (Tart out Loud…)

Reactions: umanbean
You can still be involved in Scouting through their drone training and aviation merit badge program, if you're interested. Members have the oppurtunity to learn about drones and merit in Aviation. BSA is also an FAA approved administrator of the TRUST exam.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne