DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question

Here's the answer from ChatGPT:

"The DJI Mini 2 is a popular consumer drone that is designed to be lightweight and portable. While it is capable of flying in various weather conditions, it's essential to consider the wind speed limitations to ensure safe and stable flight.

According to DJI's specifications, the DJI Mini 2 can handle wind speeds of up to 29-38 kilometers per hour (18-24 miles per hour). However, it's important to note that these wind speed ranges are provided as general guidelines, and other factors such as wind gusts, wind direction, and the pilot's skill level can affect the drone's stability.

To ensure a safe flight, it's recommended to exercise caution and avoid flying the Mini 2 in strong winds. If you're uncertain about the wind conditions, it's best to check weather forecasts and consider postponing your flight if the wind speeds are beyond the recommended range.

Always remember to fly responsibly and follow local regulations and guidelines when operating your drone."

Reactions: LoudThunder
New Mini 2 pilot here. I have a question for the group. What is the highest wind I can safely take the mini 2 up in?
Thank you
The specs say 8.5-10.5 m/s which is 19-23.5 mph.
Keep in mind, wind speed is usually a lot higher even 100 ft above the ground.
DJI's specs don't say that an 8-10.5 m/s wind is the highest wind you can safely fly a Mini 2.
They say "Max Wind Speed Resistance = 8.5-10.5 m/s".
But DJI has never explained what they mean by Max Wind Resistance.
And why is their max a range rather than a single number?
Contrary to popular belief, DJI's Max wind resistance is not a go/no go wind strength that flyers can use to decide whether to fly of not.

The OP's question is wrong, the issue is much more complex than a lot of flyers imagine.
There is no single wind speed that is what you are asking about.
The actual wind speed will depend upon a number of factors including: wind direction, wind speed, how far and what direction you intend flying.

If you fly downwind you force the drone to come home against a headwind.
You might even lose the drone if you flew too far downwind, even if the wind was significantly less than DJI's MWR numbers.
But if you flew upwind against a wind that was stronger than the MWR speed, you would have no trouble flying home.

As you fly more and learn how wind affects the drone, you get a better appreciation of what your drone can (and can't) do.

Wind turbulence and local velocity effects must be considered, too. Near and among obstacles like buildings, trees, and landforms, you may encounter turbulence and locally higher windspeed.

I had an office across the street from a 47-story building in Atlanta and on some days with a fresh breeze, the street level wind on one side of that building would nearly prevent pedestrians from moving against it.

Here's the answer from ChatGPT:

"The DJI Mini 2 is a popular consumer drone that is designed to be lightweight and portable. While it is capable of flying in various weather conditions, it's essential to consider the wind speed limitations to ensure safe and stable flight.

According to DJI's specifications, the DJI Mini 2 can handle wind speeds of up to 29-38 kilometers per hour (18-24 miles per hour). However, it's important to note that these wind speed ranges are provided as general guidelines, and other factors such as wind gusts, wind direction, and the pilot's skill level can affect the drone's stability.

To ensure a safe flight, it's recommended to exercise caution and avoid flying the Mini 2 in strong winds. If you're uncertain about the wind conditions, it's best to check weather forecasts and consider postponing your flight if the wind speeds are beyond the recommended range.

Always remember to fly responsibly and follow local regulations and guidelines when operating your drone."
OMG... really? already?

• Haha
As explained in my previous post, those numbers are meaningless and don't indicate a max safe windspeed for flying.
I agree ... dont take them as a "go/no-go" for flying, but if those are the only numbers that are given to us by the manufacturer, then we have to use them as a guide and use our experiences and common sense to make a determination.

I agree ... dont take them as a "go/no-go" for flying, but if those are the only numbers that are given to us by the manufacturer, then we have to use them as a guide and use our experiences and common sense to make a determination.
They aren't a guide to anything.
How could they be?
Would the max wind resistance (whatever DJI means by that), be 8.5 m/s or 10.5 m/s?
When you gain experience, you learn that there is no single wind speed that answers the OP's question.
There's much more to it than wind speed.

The only useful numbers that DJI gives are the drone's maximum speed.
Knowing how fast the drone can fly in still air, you can understand how the wind's speed and direction might affect your intended flight.
If you are only intending to go up and hover or fly upwind, you can safely fly in a much stronger wind than if you needed to fly some distance downwind.

Whatever wind you're in, try to fly out into the wind so when it's time to head back home you will be flying with the wind and will have no problem. Failure to do that may end in not being able to make it back when the time comes.

As explained in my previous post, those numbers are meaningless and don't indicate a max safe windspeed for flying.
Meaningless? I don't know...

The Mavic 3 max wind spec is 26.8mph. That's higher than the Mini 2 spec, so I conclude from that the Mavic 3 can hover and make it back home in higher winds than the Mini 2.

Is that right? If so, is it just random chance it is? Hmmmmm.... 🤔

• Wow
Meaningless? I don't know...
Yes.. it's meaningless.
DJI has never defined it.
What does it mean?
I've been dealing with DJI's Max Wind Resistance for a couple of years since they started including it in their specs, and I can't tell what it actually means or how flyers can use this information.

The Mavic 3 max wind spec is 26.8mph.
Although many believe that's a Max Wind spec, it's not.
It's Max Wind Resistance, and no-one has any idea what that means.
That's higher than the Mini 2 spec, so I conclude from that the Mavic 3 can hover and make it back home in higher winds than the Mini 2.
The drone's Max Speed shown in the specs is a useful number.
There's no confusion about what it means.
The Mavic 3 has a Max Speed of 16 m/s in Normal Mode and the Mini 2's top speed is 10 m/s, so it's obvious that the Mavic 3 can deal with stronger winds than the Mini 2.

Last edited:
  • Wow
To answer your question . If you think its to windy to fly then DON"T
Better safe then sorry
My mini 3 pro is much better in the wind then my Mavic air which is a much heavier drone. So if its windy I fly the mini unless I think its to windy then I DON"T lol

The drone's Max Speed shown in the specs is a useful number.
There's no confusion about what it means. what it means
The Mavic 3 has a Max Speed of 16 m/s in Normal Mode and the Mini 2's top speed is 10 m/s, so it's obvious that the Mavic 3 can deal with stronger winds than the Mini 2.
So max speed has no connection to wind resistance?

• Wow
To answer your question . If you think its to windy to fly then DON"T
Better safe then sorry
My mini 3 pro is much better in the wind then my Mavic air which is a much heavier drone. So if its windy I fly the mini unless I think its to windy then I DON"T lol

One of the best sailors I've ever known said that the time to reef sails is when you first thing that it might be time to reef. That "rule" saved our bacon on one notable occasion about 200 miles offshore in the Atlantic when a distant squall blew in faster than any of the rest of us imagined it could.

Applying that time-tested rule to drones, if you think it might be too windy to fly, it probably is.

So max speed has no connection to wind resistance?
I can't work out the logic behind the numbers that DJI show or what they mean by Max Wind Resistance.
It might help if DJI ever defined Max Wind Resistance because the term is not self-explanatory.

Just look at some numbers from DJI
Mini 2
Max Speed 10 m/s .. 16 m/s
Max Wind Resistance 8-10.5 m/s

Air 2S
Max Speed 15 m/s .. 19 m/s
Max Wind Resistance 10.7 m/s

Mavic 3
Max Speed 15 m/s .. 21 m/s
Max Wind Resistance 12 m/s

The Air 2S can fly much faster than the Mini 2 (50% more in Normal Mode)
Why is it's MWR almost the same as the Mini 2?
Why is the MWR for the Mini 2 a range, while the others have a single number?
It makes no sense.

Last edited:
New Mini 2 pilot here.
Since you are new, I would advise you not to take it up in the wind... It can take a lot of wind, but it will be buffeted around and that will not be a fun flying experience...

I can give the numbers but unless you have a wind gauge, the numbers mean nothing...

Learn to fly the drone when there is only a Breeze and not in the Wind... If you have to ask what is the difference, it's windy, not breezy...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne