DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question

The drones they are making have the minimum to have any kind of orientation of where you are at. Most don't give your compass. Some give distance away. Some say I am 1 meter above the ground when the blades haven't been kicked on yet. Some give altitude relative to the visual sensors and relative to the ground, but not msl. Play back the flight and the gps gives msl, but not while you're flying. Just agl. Flight instruments on the drone are virtually nonexistent, just trust the fly by wire implementation, what could go wrong? I'd have trouble navigating one of these drones inside a gigantic cardboard box, they just aren't that good at observing their surroundings.

The gimbal/camera stays in place pretty much like trying to hold a straight face. But my eyes can move all over the place, the gimbal only moves to stay in place.

There's no indicator on screen to tell you what your compass direction is, stuff like that. At least not while you're flying.

In the lower left of the screen you can bring up a compass direction - what direction the drone is pointed and what direction it is flying.

1687439290177.png

Maybe you are talking about something else? Or am I mis-understanding?

In the lower left of the screen you can bring up a compass direction - what direction the drone is pointed and what direction it is flying.

View attachment 165447

Maybe you are talking about something else? Or am I mis-understanding?
That's not an accurate compass. It's oriented with the phone and north could be any direction.

Some drones actually have a compass readout, but DJIs don't seem to have that. It might show up in the flight logs, and the drone might know where it is pointed.

That's not an accurate compass. It's oriented with the phone and north could be any direction.

Some drones actually have a compass readout, but DJIs don't seem to have that. It might show up in the flight logs, and the drone might know where it is pointed.
It's correctly showing the orientation of the drone is pointed relative to North.
The drone does know its heading and it's recorded in the flight data.

But it's hard to tell what your point is with a list of what you condiser shortcomings, or what relevance it has to this thread.

Are you saying it is not a north up display? Because North is clearly identified in the display. I haven't messed with it a lot, but I'm pretty sure you can change it to a north up display as well.

Are you looking for a numerical display? Like 0 for north, 180 for south, etc?

Reactions: LoudThunder
Are you saying it is not a north up display? Because North is clearly identified in the display. I haven't messed with it a lot, but I'm pretty sure you can change it to a north up display as well.

Are you looking for a numerical display? Like 0 for north, 180 for south, etc?
It seems like someone discussed the dji go compass somewhere on this thread.

It went something like this video.

The drones they are making have the minimum to have any kind of orientation of where you are at. Most don't give your compass. Some give distance away. Some say I am 1 meter above the ground when the blades haven't been kicked on yet. Some give altitude relative to the visual sensors and relative to the ground, but not msl. Play back the flight and the gps gives msl, but not while you're flying. Just agl. Flight instruments on the drone are virtually nonexistent, just trust the fly by wire implementation, what could go wrong? I'd have trouble navigating one of these drones inside a gigantic cardboard box, they just aren't that good at observing their surroundings.

The gimbal/camera stays in place pretty much like trying to hold a straight face. But my eyes can move all over the place, the gimbal only moves to stay in place.

Serious question. Do you read these threads or just pop in and make random statements? I've just read this entire thread carefully, and nothing in this post has anything to do with the current topic.

Sorry, but I think this thread is delving into, and discussing, an interesting topic and hope it can proceed.

• Wow
Serious question. Do you read these threads or just pop in and make random statements? I've just read this entire thread carefully, and nothing in this post has anything to do with the current topic.

Sorry, but I think this thread is delving into, and discussing, an interesting topic and hope it can proceed.
The wind indicator is on the go compass.

Yet another reply from a DJI forum "Administrator":
Thank you for the reply. Max Wind Resistance means that the aircraft can still hover under this wind speed, and the aircraft cannot maintain its attitude after exceeding this wind speed. Normally, when a wind prompt or warning appears in App, we recommend lowering the flight altitude or returning to the home point to avoid accidents.
The thread over there is becoming more contentious with every reply. Last one and I'm done: (someone else posted this)
What does DJI mean by Max Wind Resistance?
That should be a simple question.
The specs for each DJI drone list a value for Max Wind Resistance.
No users can work out what it means or how it's at all useful.
What's the point of telling us the Max Wind Resistance but refusing to explain what it actually is?
This is a new low for DJI's poor communications with users.

• Wow
Yet another reply from a DJI forum "Administrator":
I don't bother with the DJI forum, considering it a waste of my time - pissin' in the wind if you will.... and my stream ain't nearly as strong as it used to be.

But I admire and applaud you for taking one for the team, jumping in with both feet, and sticking with it.

Thanks.

I think it unlikely that we'll ever get a definitive, useful, official answer from DJI. Mostly also because it's highly unlikely that any DJI engineer or marketing genius frequents their forum, and there is no way to get directly in touch with the relevant engineer.

I'll just continue to use my common sense as to whether the wind is too strong at any given time. (Or maybe I just need to memorize the Beaufort scale and carry a flag around with me all the time :) ) That should give me a good approximation of the wind at 20 to 30 ft altitude anyway.

Thanks again for keeping us posted.

Noticed today that fly had a somewhat directional compass. Maybe. Maybe it'll give a better idea of which way the wind is blowing.

I had to throw my hand compass out .... it was stuck on north.
Yeah, I have the same problem with all of my compasses, they all point North so I never know which way I am going… L 🧭 L…

compass.jpg

PS: I actually earned a Boy Scout Navigation Badge when I was a Scout. We lived in the Mountains of UpState New York and if you did not know how to navigate using a map and compass and actually know your location through 3-point triangulation, you had better have your scout whistle with you to help the search parties find you…

Last edited:
PS: I actually earned a Boy Scout Navigation Badge when I was a Scout.
You're 72, I'm 61. Scouting was a big part of my childhood and adolescence. It contributed to the character and development of millions of young men.

Was a lot of fun too.

Sadly, another exceptional institution destroyed by haters in the US.

Sadly, another exceptional institution destroyed by haters in the US.
True, so true! Crazy world we live in these days. I was a Cub scout, Boy scout, Eagle scout.... tapped out for the Order of the Arrow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne