DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

r/c battery power running out

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
There are multiple threads here and other places on this issue but it still seems to be unresolved. If you have more than 3 or 4 batteries your are in trouble. The r/c battery is depleted. Even an iphone not draining power there is still an issue. With an android it's worse because the phone draws power from the r/c. The best solution I have found to date is to start charging the r/c via the micro usb on the side with a power pack or MP battery before you even take off. This tends to hold the power longer. If you start the charging after the r/c battery starts to deplete the rate of depletion is more rapid, and you cant stop it from declining, just slow the process.
If you have lots of batteries and want to keep going even starting the charge before take of the battery still does not last.
I have read you cant use a high powered power pack because it can damage the r/c battery.

Has anyone found a resolution if you want to keep flying?

Your idea of attaching a power bank to the side port while having your device plugged into the bottom works fine.
I did that with my Android S7, but bought an iPad Mini 4 for the larger screen and no battery drain on the RC.

Power pack works just fine ... also don't use the side port to conecting your phone to the controller use the bottom port on the controller and it won't charge your mobile from the handset.

I use the bottom port to connect to the phone and the side one to a Comsol 10000mAh DC 5 2.4A or an MP part depleted battery. But the juice still falls. This morning I was into my 4th battery and my rc went from 100% to 38%. If I wasn't being hassled by a bloke who wanted to talk and talk about how he wished he had a toy like mine I would not have got passed battery 5. Wait thats about 12% per battery thats with a power pack. So thats 8 batteries. But as I said the rate of depletion increases as it is depleted.
Not bad I suppose really, I have just been caught out forgetting to start charging before flying.

I use the bottom port to connect to the phone and the side one to a Comsol 10000mAh DC 5 2.4A or an MP part depleted battery. But the juice still falls. This morning I was into my 4th battery and my rc went from 100% to 38%. If I wasn't being hassled by a bloke who wanted to talk and talk about how he wished he had a toy like mine I would not have got passed battery 5. Wait thats about 12% per battery thats with a power pack. So thats 8 batteries. But as I said the rate of depletion increases as it is depleted.
Not bad I suppose really, I have just been caught out forgetting to start charging before flying.
Hmm... I'm not experiencing this problem -- or at least I don't think so. Generally after depleting four batteries to +/- 25% each, there's still enough charge on my RC to fly one more, but since I have just four batteries, the RC gets charged at the same time as the batteries. I believe this matches DJI's specifications, so I have no issue with it.

Battery banks do a good job of charging the RC in my experience, but there's no way they'll charge it as fast as using it will discharge it. I think it's great that you're managing to get 8 battery's worth out of it with the power bank, and I'll be keeping that in mind as I up my battery count!

I'm sure with that many batteries and the power bank set-up it's easy to make the mistake of thinking of your power supply as bottomless. I'm sure I'll do the same at some point myself :)

Using an ios device, rate of depletion is roughly 4% - 6% per battery without charging the RC while using it.

Using an android device, the rate of depletion is a lot more. Don't really pay attention as I don't use it that often, probably more than 10% per battery.

How often do you need to fly 8 batteries straight without even a 30min pause where you can charge the controller with a power bank while it's off?

I did 5 on a job the other day with my rooted android phone I can disable charging on and still had 45% RC battery, iOS should be about same.

I flew again today and the rate of depletion was less after three batteries I still had about 70% (again with the charger) so some days are worse than others and I'm not sure why but overall I suppose I shouldn't complain. In reality you would probably drive between flights giving it time to recharge, it will be an unusual situation to stay put and continue flying but I can't think of some.
There will be a day when I'm tracking a whale or a great white, or something.
Anyway a tip for those were going to plan a long day with lots of batteries. Start charging immediately.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803