DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

R.I.D. Spoofing and is it legal?

Cafguy

Premium Pilot
Reactions
In My FPV Hobby we have come up with a solution for those cell phone drone finder apps. It is simply a board programmed in Arduino to mimic a bunch of drones flying all around you-- so Karen can't see the pilots exact location. NOW I know mimicking some data is illegal but what about RID a lot of us are thinking of making one of these boards.
Keep in mind your rid number is still visible but so are a bunch of others

Last edited:
so Karen can't see the pilots exact location
If Karen isn't bothering you today, why do you think Karen is going to start bothering you after your drone starts emitting RID data?

I think too many minds have been poisoned by clickbait RID videos on YouTube.

Well, as you stated above, it's really for fooling the Karens.

Why do you think all of the Karens are getting ready to target you?

Our hobby is sort of a problem with some people and I have been confronted before. These RID Finder Apps make finding the drone pilot much easier for those people who should be contacting the police, rather than finding and explaining their definitions of the law ( sometimes Very angrily) To the operator.
I have noticed that once my DJI Mavic goes in its case and my tiny Cinewhoop FPV drones come out the problem intensifies. Now it doesn't happen to me often but with some of my buddies its an almost constant bother.

Now it doesn't happen to me often but with some of my buddies its an almost constant bother
And then it's going to be even more of a bother when the Karens can receive the RID data? I guess they will be sitting on their couch watching the app -- just waiting to pounce.

And then it's going to be even more of a bother when the Karens can receive the RID data? I guess they will be sitting on their couch watching the app -- just waiting to pounce.
lol, unfortunately, they are out there. I doubt in great numbers but there will be those who make it their mission to rid the land of the evil drone.

Miss Gulch.jpg

I was approached once and I wasn't even flying a drone. I had what looked like a controller in hand and they let me know that what I was doing was very illegal. :D

• Haha
Reactions: KurtpH
In all seriousness though, I think Ken's video exposes that Karens are going to be thoroughly confused since this technology doesn't work very well. Here's to hoping the Karens have a plan B.

Reactions: Reid937 and MA2 317
It makes me no sense to me to even worry about this if you fly in a legal and safe (responsible) manner. That said, to answer your question, I'm pretty sure the FCC would see it as a violation, and find some obscure code number to cite. If you're intention is to obscure your location, to make it difficult to determine your location to Karen, it would be doing the same thing to them. I believe anything you do to intentionally slow their locating your correct position, including mixing in a bunch of random data, they would take issue with.

dont worry,CNN will come up with segment that explaines how “americans” now can fight “evil drones”by downloading app ,locating and attacking evil pilots….first time i get approached and yelled by some looney is the time i start taking off from my home roof and simply go bvlos…faa can fine me,i dont care

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_