DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Racing drones

Cgomez1978

Reactions
Had the mavic since February and can't fault it but I'm thinking of getting into racing drones. Has anyone got any recommendations for my first one. Also I've ordered Dji goggles which should be getting shipped on the 20th does anyone now if I could use these for Fpv on the racing drone. I've been told by a few people to get the immersion vortex 250 or the storm srd 280

I have no idea really about true racing drones, but I have an MJX Bugs 3 which I highly recommend as it will run on 3S batteries for extra power (use props such as the DAL 6045BN on 3S) and configured like that it's really fast, however it's still cheap enough to crash without being overly concerned.

I suspect as an introduction to flying stuff like the vortex it's a good starting point to save a bit of money by crashing something cheaper while you learn.

I vote for the Vortex. I had the Vortex 285, and it was a blast to fly on 4s. Nothing in my group of racers could hold on to it. You can dumb it down in the flight controller to almost be like the Mavic. It wont hold like with gps, but it will level itself in that settings. You can also build one yourself, did that also, but loved more flying, so up to you. Flying acro is the purest form of flying. I really miss my racing drones ;)

Building your own is definitely the best way to go. However when first starting off this is just about impossible (was for me anyway;) it doesn't really matter anyway as you will eventually want to upgrade everything (esc, motor, etc) to make it faster:D. I started with the original Arris X-Speed and moved up! Happy flying! -CF

I'll add also that if the mavic is your first drone and you have no experience flying quadcopters manually, any brushless racer is not a good idea. Something tame and relatively crashproof like a hubsan h107c to learn on initially is best. It probably won't take you long, I flew my hubsan for only a couple of weeks before I was able to safely fly my bugs 3 for the first time.

The Mavic in no way shape or form will give you the feel of a racing drone, racing drones don't have any gps, or any of the features that make the Mavic easy to fly, so before you jump in you might want to learn how to fly a non training wheeled quadcopter.

Yeah as above. Completely different beast. How about you try one of the racing sims that are out there. Good to learn acro mode.

Sounds like a good idea. After 3 flights on a syma I went home and bought a mavic which was the best decision I ever made. With Fpv will I be able to use the dji goggles. I understand what you all are saying, but with a racing drone I know I will end up crashing but if you add up the price of a cheap racer then buying a better one surely I will be better off just getting a decent one which I will end up keeping

Sounds like a good idea. After 3 flights on a syma I went home and bought a mavic which was the best decision I ever made. With Fpv will I be able to use the dji goggles. I understand what you all are saying, but with a racing drone I know I will end up crashing but if you add up the price of a cheap racer then buying a better one surely I will be better off just getting a decent one which I will end up keeping

It is a big jump from a Syma to a proper racing quad. They are super sensitive and flippen fast. As i said above, you can dumb it down, and take it slow in a big open field. It is crazy fun, but be prepared to learn a lot and do sim time before you get it. It is up to you, it can be done.

I have a Walkera F210, that thing is a beast. It's fast agile and is made from thick carbon fiber. It's almost unbreakable. Be careful with these machines as they are extremely dangerous.

Have fun!

I have two impulseRC 5" Aliens. They were the bees knees not too long ago. Both built up exactly the same for redundancy purposes. The tech and geometries changes constantly. These days people like the stretched X frames.

Your best bet is to join the miniquad club on Facebook to learn more. Finding local people who can help you is a must too

Reactions: Clinton1
2nd the Immersion Vortex series . I have the Vortex 285 and it is a blast to fly . It is also very robust and handles crashes with very little damage . It also folds into a small size for storage and that also helps absorb impact in a crash . You find them used reasonable on RC groups forum in the FPV classifieds often .

Vortex 285 Race Quad from ImmersionRC

Reactions: Clinton1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs