DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Extenders - My Experience

"This is one of my flights with Parabolic dish.....Australia "

I was about to scoff at your image, Ozziebattler, but then I noticed the '4' ,buried in other data, of your '4171'. That is some amazing distance. (Especially with VLOS! Ha!) I would guess there's less WiFi interference in that rural area....but, Jeepers
Hi Piecar, yeh mate i was flying of the side of a hill,there was no interference of any kind i never got one weak signal warning during the whole flight I was pretty surprised too,always VLOS :)

Hello, I'm flying with my Mavic Pro Platinum (CE/EU model) and I have installed the Yagi 2.4ghz antenna (old Fashion kind of tv antenna). I definitively got an improved range from 300m to 1500m (1000' to 5000').
I bought this antenna on Ebay and everything went perfectly. I got the package in 8 days. Payment through Paypal.The seller seems to be very serious.
You can buy a set of2.4 antenna or a set of 5.8 or a package of 2.4 + 5.8
Seller email is: [email protected]

I've also recently got the Yagi-Uda clip on antennas and I wanna combine the two and see what I can achieve. I think I will modify my Y/U set to insert beyond the stopping point (as also the Right side antenna on the RC antenna stick enclosure sits lower than the left one), thus combining the joy of both the parabolics and the Yagi/Udas into one...

I hope they don't steal my idea before anyone else pops out and says FIRST :D

Both systems work by changing the standard RC antennae from omni-directional to directional - ie they focus the signal in one direction in the same way as a reflector around a car headlight. 2 reflectors at best would work about as good as just 1 reflector. at worst the 2 reflectors would interfere with each other and be worse than none (potential for signal reflections cancelling each other out).

Ever seen a microwave dish with a yagi antenna inside it?

Not to quibble, but many satellite dishes DO have a "focuser" in the centre of the dish. It doesn't look like an old TV antennae, but I see where m80116 is going with his thinking. I think it takes more precision than just popping both on, though.

Last edited:
The "focuser" is what's called a horn antenna at the end of the wave guide and essentially points the signal backwards into the dish for subsequent reflection in a fairly straight beam back past the horn. That way nearly all the RF energy is pointed in a very straight beam that is in-phase. Having 2 separate reflectors (yagi and parabolic) requires positioning of them so that both signals are approximately in-phase. Those who experiment with very long range flights and highly directional antennas are well aware of the necessity of keeping the drone within the signal beam and use tripods etc to keep their antennas steady. Having too much directionality on the handheld RC becomes more of a hindrance than a help as it becomes very difficult to keep the beam pointed at the drone when at long range. Longer range being the point of increasing the directionality.

However, I don't want to sound negative so definitely give it a try :) ... just be aware of the physics that's going on with each system and how they could negatively interact with each other.

Last edited:
Yes. As I said. There is some precision involved. The focuser, I think you mean feedhorn there, needs to take into account the curve of the dish, among other factors. I'm interested to see whether his experiments bear fruit. Or whether the two items are actually able to fit over each other.

Both systems work by changing the standard RC antennae from omni-directional to directional - ie they focus the signal in one direction in the same way as a reflector around a car headlight. 2 reflectors at best would work about as good as just 1 reflector. at worst the 2 reflectors would interfere with each other and be worse than none (potential for signal reflections cancelling each other out).

Are you saying one parabolic on one side would get better results?

Will carry on with combined test shortly. Until now I've established the very low quality Yagi/Uda set I've got is no better than the parabolics, both get me to about 2 kilometers (countryside) but the SunnyLife parabolics work beautifully regardless of orientation, with the Y/U I have to pinpoint the beam.

My idea behind combining them is not to phase them synched, as the AC surely has demonstrated to have good demodulation capability relying on reflected un-synched signals. What I hope to obtain is the conveniency of the broader throw of the parabolics and the added precise throw in the middle by they Y/U which I believe they might still capitalize on the reflected part of the emission which otherwise would be dispersed backwardly, probably phase that part and make it throw even further that it would have done otherwise.

Will tell you how it goes... I might draw a blank but I have to verify.

Attachments

• 20200620_013103.jpg
    20200620_013103.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest