DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Extenders - My Experience

For these reflectors to work, the distance between the antenna and the reflection surface is critical because the reflected wave must be in phase with that radiated from the antenna so that the radio energy is reinforced instead of cancelled. My Mini only runs on 5.8 GHz and it works very well. May be those who claim that it doesn't work can check which frequency band their Mini are working on ?

That’s a good point. I barely use 5.8 because the max distance I can achieve is 500 meters and I can see minimum/no benefit on 2.4 where I get at least 1300 meters by default.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
"For these reflectors to work, the distance between the antenna and ..........................." we live and learn or sort of remember that we have forgotten lol, thank you. Oh the joys of school day's physics.

Yes, 2.4 does allow longer distances in a low interference area.

That’s not necessarily true, it’s more about the output power of the device and receiver. A more powerful 5.8 can get much further than a low powered 2.4 as is the case with the FCC mini. The FCC mini on 5.8ghz has better range than the CE mini on 2.4ghz.

That’s not necessarily true, it’s more about the output power of the device and receiver. A more powerful 5.8 can get much further than a low powered 2.4 as is the case with the FCC mini. The FCC mini on 5.8ghz has better range than the CE mini on 2.4ghz.

Agree, but we can’t compare fcc to ce. We were talking about 2.4 vs 5.8 on the same model.

Ok so I notice most of the videos with these extenders seem to be used on ce models are they any good on the fcc? What about the yagis anyone have links to them for fcc?

The parabolic extenders I use on my fcc mini work amazingly well. I get about 25-30% farther range with less lag.
Ok so I notice most of the videos with these extenders seem to be used on ce models are they any good on the fcc? What about the yagis anyone have links to them for fcc?

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
What’s your flight environment like? I’m lucky to get 2,000ft with or without range extenders. I typically fly in state parks with good clearance.
Isn’t it illegal to fly on state parks ??? What state you live in ?

Isn’t it illegal to fly on state parks ??? What state you live in ?
It's not illegal from state parks unless it is posted. You can not fly from federal parks. But you can fly over federal parks. No taking off or landing.
I take off literally ten feet from the Parkway and fly for miles along the Parkway.

My experience with the MM and range extenders is that the yagi on 2.4ghz for a ce model is the best. Parabolic range extenders work well but i was still losing signal. With the yagi it will just keep going with good video feed, only having to return because of the battery!

The parabolic extenders I use on my fcc mini work amazingly well. I get about 25-30% farther range with less lag.
Which ones are you using im thinking about grabbing some and if u say they are good for fcc i seen so many talking about using for cenor that they are for 2.4 and im not even necessarily looking for massive range extension but mabye a more solid signal when its out the distance that it does without extender

I saw a YT vid on the Antenna-like range extenders displayed above. They gave the poster range....but the part that extends backwards toward the controller tended to block the free use of the thumbsticks. I will say that the pilot kept the controller antennae straight upright, which I believe is incorrect. I think he did so because he felt the extenders would be pointing at the ground otherwise.

DronexFactor and a few others use those. Do you have to be super careful to stay facing the drone or the signal drops out, though? I'm gonna buy SOMETHING and every set has one or two questions I'd ask.

When I had my Mini, I used the same range extenders as above in @Motorcycle Rider post - I found that these didn't do much for me, if anything, I got the "adjust antenna" notification when using them.

Also something to note, if you do buy these range extenders, there is a small film on both lenses that you need to remove before using.

DronexFactor and a few others use those. Do you have to be super careful to stay facing the drone or the signal drops out, though? I'm gonna buy SOMETHING and every set has one or two questions I'd ask.
I do turn to be facing in the general direction of the drone, but don't need to be exact. To be sure that I wasn't dreaming they added range, I flew my mini away till it had terrible signal, then slid them in place, and was back to good signal, then flew it another 200 meters away from me, and it remained in good signal. Once the extra 200 meters off into the distance, I slid the range extenders off, and it lost signal, triggered the automatic return to home, and that was all the proof I needed.

When I had my Mini, I used the same range extenders as above in @Motorcycle Rider post - I found that these didn't do much for me, if anything, I got the "adjust antenna" notification when using them.

Also something to note, if you do buy these range extenders, there is a small film on both lenses that you need to remove before using.
Correct, and clearly noted in the enclosed instructions.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR