DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range problems

LepeOutlaw

Reactions
I've got the CE version of the MA2 and I live in a rural area in the UKwith very little interference. I've gone out to do some sort of range test and am struggling to get even 2km out of it, when flying around 100m high. Anyone got any quick solutions or will it have to end up being sent off to dji for some sort of repair. I've heard of this drone having range problems before but I don't see how they could be as severe as this, due to me sometimes even having signal loss at ~500m.

Thanks and HNY to you all

Might think about a Yagi-UDA signal extender. I use a 2.4GHz model. Extended my reach by 200%.
I chose 2.4GHz model as it is more forgiving in its passage around obstacles. Some say the 5GHz is stronger longer, I dont believe thats correct. For certain it (5GHz) is obstructed quickly by forested areas. Both suffer when encountering whetted forest canopies.

Reactions: Squidinc
Might think about a Yagi-UDA signal extender. I use a 2.4GHz model. Extended my reach by 200%.
I chose 2.4GHz model as it is more forgiving in its passage around obstacles. Some say the 5GHz is stronger longer, I dont believe thats correct. For certain it (5GHz) is obstructed quickly by forested areas. Both suffer when encountering whetted forest canopies.
Is that one of these?

Seems alright if it works well as you say but bearing in mind I have the CE it might be a tad less effective

I have both the 5.8ghz & 2.4ghz Yagi range extenders for my MA2. I use the 5.8 in more built up areas, & the 2.4 for extended range in less built up areas.

I have both the 5.8ghz & 2.4ghz Yagi range extenders for my MA2. I use the 5.8 in more built up areas, & the 2.4 for extended range in less built up areas.
Good advice...ty

The 2.4GHz is more prevalent in a city environment thus the 5.8GHz option encounters less interference. This doesnt mean it (5Ghz) penetrates obstructions at any greater extent. It doesnt. A crowd makes a lot of noise. A less crowded 5.8GHz band doesnt mean greater distance. The 5.8GHZ band is very narrow and peters out more quickly.

As remarked upon, "2.4 for extended range in less built up areas." is a correct course of action. When flying above it all and at a suitable LOS angle of the dangle a 5.8GHz connection, in the city, would be advisable.

Id also raise your angle of the dangle. Higher altitude to avoid whetted forested areas which are dreadful to signal penetration.

Id also have to ask, what is CE version. I dont have my handy less dandy acronym interpreter Open.

Last edited:
I've got the CE version of the MA2 and I live in a rural area in the UKwith very little interference. I've gone out to do some sort of range test and am struggling to get even 2km out of it, when flying around 100m high. Anyone got any quick solutions or will it have to end up being sent off to dji for some sort of repair. I've heard of this drone having range problems before but I don't see how they could be as severe as this, due to me sometimes even having signal loss at ~500m.

Thanks and HNY to you all
I have the same problemin Belgium. Live near mixed area, but what I’m most concerned about is that my mini 2 is less sensitive to signal interruption than my 2 mavic air 2’s.
Is this normal? ?

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82