DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rant against African game lodges too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A DSLR/video camera confines you to operating within the supervision of a guide or warden at all times (as do national park rules in most areas).
And yes there are restrictions - for the main you cant just go for a walk and wandered wherever you feel in the park with a DSLR. Regulations for safety and disturbances apply to all.

You're also incapable of scaring off wildlife 400m away by pointing a DSLR at it as opposed to flying a drone near it.
You're also not annoying everyone else in the group with a nice, quiet DSLR vs a constant buzzing drone.
The drone community has proven time and time again it isnt grown up to self police (as posts in this and the other thread show with "i want to fly stealthily/i wont get caught" and so on.

Even if someone is "held accountable" its too late -the damage is done. The wildlife is spooked, other paying customers didnt get what they wanted to see and so on. No point with that risk.
Many drone owners (including many on here) so seem to think they're the centre of the universe but in reality we're a minority group operating where the majority is at best neutral, at worst hostile and operating devices that are capable of causing annoyance to both people and animals.
I'll put you down as a minus (no drones). I see both sides. Here is my video from Tanzania. See frames 3:17-3:41 as I circle the camp, showing the camp, as well as 14:23-15:28. (Mini 2) Again, nobody in the camp. This is ALL that I want to do on the next trip. There is one more drone segment but this will give you the idea. Nobody in camp (it is mid day). I stayed back to shoot this. Who is this hurting?

Nobody in the camp is irrelevant.
Potential disturbance to animals both seen and not-seen.
Disturbance to people both seen and not seen.

I assume you completely ignored Tanzania laws, drone registration and permits (MoD permit etc) too (which again just treats the host country with contempt).

It does highlight the reason the drone community can't self police. Too much arrogance and sense of entitlement. Prepared to ignore all local and national regulations and restrictions just to fly their toy.

Ive not really seen any other hobby group like it elsewhere for arrogance and entitlement when abroad. It does however explain blanket bans on things like cruise ships, parks and so on. Its the only way to keep the things in check.

Compliance with laws and regulations isnt based on "who is this hurting".

Nobody in the camp is irrelevant.
Potential disturbance to animals both seen and not-seen.
Disturbance to people both seen and not seen.

I assume you completely ignored Tanzania laws, drone registration and permits (MoD permit etc) too (which again just treats the host country with contempt).

It does highlight the reason the drone community can't self police. Too much arrogance and sense of entitlement. Prepared to ignore all local and national regulations and restrictions just to fly their toy.

Ive not really seen any other hobby group like it elsewhere for arrogance and entitlement when abroad. It does however explain blanket bans on things like cruise ships, parks and so on. Its the only way to keep the things in check.

Compliance with laws and regulations isnt based on "who is this hurting".
Totally agree and the OP is starting to sound like a child who cannot get his own way.
Sounds like he was lucky not to get arrested or the very least large fines.

Is this not an open forum for exchange of ideas? Where else can a drone pilot get the opinion of other pilots? I already know what the authoritative opinions are. I wrote two rants and I AM giving a rest while I hear out these great world wide opinions, which I am taking to heart and listening very carefully. Sorry that free speech bothers you so much.
"Sorry that free speech bothers you so much." Really?

When you ask for input, you shouldn't complain when you get it.

Sorry to say this but you come off like a spoiled child with your two rants Dale. Consider yourself privileged enough to take vacations like this. If they aren’t 100 percent accommodating to you perhaps you should seek something else.

Some people here are trying to scratch 300 dollars together to buy a second hand drone and you are bragging about renting an 11,000 dollar lens for 300 bucks. Be thankful that you can do things like this.

Last edited:
People are just jealous. It's sad. I hate seeing responses like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.