Join Us Now

Rant against African game lodges too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
I am now going to EXPAND on my rants- this time against Africa game lodges. Very few of us will have this ultimate travel experience, but if you save your money and are lucky, one day you just might be able to score the long lusty desire of going on an African safari.

I have had the great fortune, as a doctor, to earn enough to travel to Africa and do these game drives. Each and every time, I come back with amazing photos. I rent a 600 mm lens which helps immensely. It is far cheaper to rent a lens for $300 USD than to buy one for $11,000.00!

So as time has evolved, I have started to bring my drone, and have naturally been told it is illegal because it disturbs the other guests and the animals. I fully appreciate and understand this! But there are times and places where a short flight can be un-intrusive to either humans or animals. Just to record the campsite, and grounds where I am staying (and paying $$$)when everyone else is out of camp for the day and only the staff are are there is totally innocuous. And on game drives, there are always the lunch stops where it is safe from predators (usually a high space with clear vegetation and visibility), as well as the classical sundowner at the end of the day ,usually celebrated with a gin and tonic and a nice snack from the lodge.

I know this is becoming longwinded, but I am the recipient of a weekly newsletter from Dereck Joubert, the extremely famous wildlife photographer for Disney who filmed The Last Lion and the Eye of the Leopard. He has been a National Geographic Photographer for years. He and his wife Beverly, publish this weekly video which I always anticipate every Wednesday. Here is this Wednesday's video. It contains mostly DRONE footage! Yet I have written personally to Dereck about guests using their drones at his extensive group of lodges (Great Plains Conservation Company) and have been told they are prohibited.

If this doesn't make you wonder, nothing will. I am ready for the slings and arrow from you guys to follow. Here is this weeks gorgeous video (mostly drone). Wouldn't you like to shoot this too? Scroll down to video and watch it full screen and highest Rez available.

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 12.22.21 PM.png

I am now going to EXPAND on my rants- this time against Africa game lodges. Very few of us will have this ultimate travel experience, but if you save your money and are lucky, one day you just might be able to score the long lusty desire of going on an African safari.

I have had the great fortune, as a doctor, to earn enough to travel to Africa and do these game drives. Each and every time, I come back with amazing photos. I rent a 600 mm lens which helps immensely. It is far cheaper to rent a lens for $300 USD than to buy one for $11,000.00!

So as time has evolved, I have started to bring my drone, and have naturally been told it is illegal because it disturbs the other guests and the animals. I fully appreciate and understand this! But there are times and places where a short flight can be un-intrusive to either humans or animals. Just to record the campsite, and grounds where I am staying (and paying $$$)when everyone else is out of camp for the day and only the staff are are there is totally innocuous. And on game drives, there are always the lunch stops where it is safe from predators (usually a high space with clear vegetation and visibility), as well as the classical sundowner at the end of the day ,usually celebrated with a gin and tonic and a nice snack from the lodge.

I know this is becoming longwinded, but I am the recipient of a weekly newsletter from Dereck Joubert, the extremely famous wildlife photographer for Disney who filmed The Last Lion and the Eye of the Leopard. He has been a National Geographic Photographer for years. He and his wife Beverly, publish this weekly video which I always anticipate every Wednesday. Here is this Wednesday's video. It contains mostly DRONE footage! Yet I have written personally to Dereck about guests using their drones at his extensive group of lodges (Great Plains Conservation Company) and have been told they are prohibited.

If this doesn't make you wonder, nothing will. I am ready for the slings and arrow from you guys to follow. Here is this weeks gorgeous video (mostly drone). Wouldn't you like to shoot this too? Scroll down to video and watch it full screen and highest Rez available.

View attachment 158521

Simple really if the owner of these lodges ban toal on their property. You cannot toal. If you then continue to book and go there without your drone you are condoning their actions, if you decide not to spend your thousands there it’s their loss. I would message them asking permission to bring and fly my drone, booking the most expensive package, wait for the reply stating drones are not allowed, then send them a letter cancelling the booking explaining why you are cancelling. If the restrictions they make hit the pockets of the owners it will hopefully make them think again. Cheers Len

Simple really if the owner of these lodges ban toal on their property. You cannot toal. If you then continue to book and go there without your drone you are condoning their actions, if you decide not to spend your thousands there it’s their loss. I would message them asking permission to bring and fly my drone, booking the most expensive package, wait for the reply stating drones are not allowed, then send them a letter cancelling the booking explaining why you are cancelling. If the restrictions they make hit the pockets of the owners it will hopefully make them think again. Cheers Len
The games reserves are not their property. However, the Maasai Mara Reserve does not allow drones either. But prom ads like these are available all the time to lodges.

@Dale D ,a few reasons why the owners of the lodges you mentioned,would prohibit drones spring to mind
firstly privacy ,not only for the guests ,but for the game wardens who have to protect the animals
secondly ,if they allowed one person to fly their drone there, it would open the flood gates for lots of others to do the same,the risk of fire if a drone were to crash ,and the ensuing possible damage, to property and wildlife that would follow such an event
i could go on Dale
the fact that the owners post the videos you so avidly watch ,i have seen some of them myself ,is to promote their lodges ,and encourage people to spend big bucks ,to experience it for themselves, and they dont just grab a mavic mini and wander into the bush to see whats about ,their films are done with all the paraphernalia of a professional film crew ,and a lot of staff

100% in favour of game lodges banning drones.

Plenty of drone owners have shown they cant behave like grown ups and will willfully ignore and rules or restrictions just to fly their toy.
Add that to potential disturbance of the animals to the resulting annoyance of others who have paid thousands to be there, privacy issues and so on it seems sensible.

The majority of people don't want the things buzzing around and pay a lot of money to be there. If ignorant or clueless operators also reduce the wildlife they'll see its very bad for business.

Drones are banned in many wildlife reserves globally for good reason.

I think you just give this a rest. You don't get to do everything you want when other entities have valid reasons of their own why you can't. Even if they simply don't like you or your drone, or more likely that they fear their other customers won't, that's their prerogative. Complain via your choices as a consumer all you want, but you aren't accomplishing anything by posting further rants here.

I think you just give this a rest. You don't get to do everything you want when other entities have valid reasons of their own why you can't. Even if they simply don't like you or your drone, or more likely that they fear their other customers won't, that's their prerogative. Complain via your choices as a consumer all you want, but you aren't accomplishing anything by posting further rants here.
Is this not an open forum for exchange of ideas? Where else can a drone pilot get the opinion of other pilots? I already know what the authoritative opinions are. I wrote two rants and I AM giving a rest while I hear out these great world wide opinions, which I am taking to heart and listening very carefully. Sorry that free speech bothers you so much.

All animals are equal. Just some animals are more equal than others.

Reactions: mike foy
I think you may have missed part of Dale's point. Why are the folks in the provided videos allowed to do drone work, but not others, which underscores your point.

right ,lets keep this thread ,about the original subject ,i have already deleted some unnecessary posts in this thread,

Perception is reality for anti-whatever. As far as using drone video for promotion, there are exceptions and permits that can be applied for. Many pro sports broadcasts use drone footage, permitted and flown by the broadcaster. Not a big deal. Don't forget this simple rule about almost everything - their playground, their rules.

Reactions: MRomine and Torque
Perception is reality for anti-whatever. As far as using drone video for promotion, there are exceptions and permits that can be applied for. Many pro sports broadcasts use drone footage, permitted and flown by the broadcaster. Not a big deal. Don't forget this simple rule about almost everything - their playground, their rules.
totally agreed on here!
Dale

Drones are so disruptive but helicopter rides, airplane rides and microlights aren't a problem...makes sense.

Yeah, the same places that ban drones let you ride around in these. It's not about disturbing the wildlife. Did you offer a bribe? Probably what they wanted.

3KIlTzP.jpg

Drones are so disruptive but helicopter rides, airplane rides and microlights aren't a problem...makes sense.

Yeah, the same places that ban drones let you ride around in these. It's not about disturbing the wildlife. Did you offer a bribe? Probably what they wanted.

3KIlTzP.jpg
You forgot this too- offered at every African safari for $300 or $400 for 15 minute ride OVER THE ANIMALS. This picture is from one of the lodges I will be staying at (Bushtops).Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 4.34.05 PM.png in Maasai Mar).

Reactions: thispilothere
Anyone who thinks a balloon or manned aircraft is comparable to a drone buzzing around within 10m of people and/or animals multiple times per day is deluding themselves.

Any commercial use of drones will have permission, insurance, job plans, liase with wardens and wildlife officers along with hotels. The 3rd parties there will have been briefed what to expect and permission sought, times of day will be chosen carefully to minimise disturbance and the whole thing rigidly controlled and planned days or weeks in advance.
Not in the same league as someone taking it out of his suitcase, not bothering having registered to use it in the country and just randomly flying it around when they feel like it with no oversight.

Anyone who thinks a balloon or manned aircraft is comparable to a drone buzzing around within 10m of people and/or animals multiple times per day is deluding themselves.

Any commercial use of drones will have permission, insurance, job plans, liase with wardens and wildlife officers along with hotels. The 3rd parties there will have been briefed what to expect and permission sought, times of day will be chosen carefully to minimise disturbance and the whole thing rigidly controlled and planned days or weeks in advance.
Not in the same league as someone taking it out of his suitcase, not bothering having registered to use it in the country and just randomly flying it around when they feel like it with no oversight.
I cannot tell if this post a plus or minus against tourists using drones. I am taking it as neutral. Of course there is no comparison . Nobody expect us as drone pilots to have commercial licenses, wardens, wildlife officers, etc. to use our DSLRS or video cameras. It would be overkill. We are the oversight. We are the responsible ones. If we do something irresponsible, we expect to be held accountable for it.

A DSLR/video camera confines you to operating within the supervision of a guide or warden at all times (as do national park rules in most areas).
And yes there are restrictions - for the main you cant just go for a walk and wandered wherever you feel in the park with a DSLR. Regulations for safety and disturbances apply to all.

You're also incapable of scaring off wildlife 400m away by pointing a DSLR at it as opposed to flying a drone near it.
You're also not annoying everyone else in the group with a nice, quiet DSLR vs a constant buzzing drone.
The drone community has proven time and time again it isnt grown up to self police (as posts in this and the other thread show with "i want to fly stealthily/i wont get caught" and so on.

Even if someone is "held accountable" its too late -the damage is done. The wildlife is spooked, other paying customers didnt get what they wanted to see and so on. No point with that risk.
Many drone owners (including many on here) so seem to think they're the centre of the universe but in reality we're a minority group operating where the majority is at best neutral, at worst hostile and operating devices that are capable of causing annoyance to both people and animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2