DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RANT against cruise ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a look at Celebrity. Maybe other ships will have a similar thought in the future.
Next to last item on the list.

I'm surprised they also don't point out the ship will not be waiting for you if you are detained flying illegally in whatever country you're visiting.

Under "What Not to Pack" is listed aerial drones- will be confiscated.

No, drone is not to 'be packed'.
Allowed on board, not confiscated, but held securely in their Stateroom and released to you for shore excursions, then repeat storage on reboarding.

Good morning to all-
The previous poster made the point that I have found on SOME cruises- my fishing equipment is held onboard while under way and then returned to me at ports as I choose. The same policy should apply to drones. I have no problem with this.
But any cruise line that comes out with a "No drones allowed" policy, well, they won't be getting any of my money.

That's the best we can do, I fear, if the cruise or safari or whatever has a zero policy against drones, then they should be eliminated as receiver of our money. Simple.

good day to all- Ed

Good morning to all-
Stubborn Swiss- you'll never hear a single word from me against our national parks- one of the finest actions our country has ever taken to protect our native wildlife and lands.
Some of the rules- total ban against drones, well, that rule seems a bit draconian to me and doesn't take into account the very many drone fliers who follow the rules and don't bother other folks- human or animal.

And happy holidays to you.

good day to all- Ed

For many years, my wife and I have sworn off of group tours, and organized tours of any sort. It only takes one SOB to ruin it, and on every tour, there, indeed, was such a person.
Same here. On the few cruises we've been on, we've never signed up for any of their expensive organized shore excursions. We'd rather rent our own car and go off exploring on our own.

I treat cruise ships like any other tour bus or guided walking tour. If you haven't researched everything for yourself beforehand, whenever visiting a new city for the first time it's okay to submit to riding a tour bus with a guide who points out the history of various sites along the way. Then you can some other time make your own way to spots that you'd like to see on your own.

Cruise ships typically visit for only a short time in any port, giving you just enough time to get to the same points of interest from which thousands of other tourists have already previously grabbed the exact same snapshot from every possible angle. It's getting to the point where drone shots have also been there.

It's more rewarding to go out on your own to find unique locations.

Some of the rules- total ban against drones, well, that rule seems a bit draconian to me and doesn't take into account the very many drone fliers who follow the rules and don't bother other folks- human or animal.

And happy holidays to you.

good day to all- Ed
I think most drone flyers here in the US don't know why they (drones) are banned in our national parks. I get the feeling that many just assume that the NPS had a knee jerk reaction and just made a blanket ban for no reason.

Within a year of the very first consumer drones showing up, there were countless incursions into National parks that not only ended badly for the flyer but had major impacts on the very things that were to be preserved. Here are a few of the most memorable:
  • A drone was flown into (and was never recovered from), the largest hot spring in Yellowstone NP
  • Another was responsible for separating protected juvenile Big Horn Sheep from the herd in Zion NP
  • Another drone disrupted a local bird population and caused an entire disruption to that years breeding period
  • A drone was crashed landed - onto Mt Rushmore
  • A drone literally caused an NPS helicopter to force land inside the park.
Unmanned flight (RC) was self-governed for over seventy years and no government agency ever took notice. But in the span of about 2 years, all of that changed because of a relatively small number of pilots who felt they were flying safe and responsible; but just wanted to get that perfect pic or video.

I agree that a great deal of drone pilots are safe and responsible but unfortunately it is the irresponsible ones that we are judged by. A chain's strength can only be judged by it's weakest link.

These are excellent points being made about why drones are banned in various places including cruise ships and game reserves. I personally would not complain about it. But, I have no problem with Dale going on a "rant" and in the process sharing some inspirational videos and photos. Dale is entitled to rant if he feels like it, my gosh the guy is 80+ and is active, adventurous, and creative while enjoying retirement! When someone qualifies their statement by calling it a "rant" then its generally tongue in cheek to a degree. Normally, Dale has to sneak around Miami in stealth mode, like hiding behind palm trees, wearing a ghillie suit type stuff. So, I can see why he might go stir crazy when he finally makes it to the wide-open savannah but cannot fly. My challenge to you Dale is to document a part if not all of your next trip where no drones are allowed with an I-Phone 11+. The technical quality of the images are important but so is the story and you have a bunch to tell. Good luck with all your adventures!

1671652624952.png
Flying Mini 3 in downtown Miami park.

".... all of that changed because of a relatively small number of pilots who felt they were flying safe and responsible; but just wanted to get that perfect pic or video."

Or maybe add to that, those that just felt they were entitled!

Reactions: Aerophile
... We know when it is safe and when it not to fly above an iconic site for a birds eye view and the shot of a lifetime...
But do we? Really? If we all did there would not be tons of examples of Dimwits With Drones on YouTube and FB. Not to mention....do you REALLY want to fly a drone from a ship moving at 20-30 knots? It would be very difficult to keep it from being lost and keep up with the ship. I am 100% on board with no drones on cruise ships. While you might not get that "iconic" shot it's safer and honestly less annoying for all the other guests on the ship. Part of being a good drone pilot is knowing when it's a good idea (legal or not) to fly.

But do we? Really? If we all did there would not be tons of examples of Dimwits With Drones on YouTube and FB. Not to mention....do you REALLY want to fly a drone from a ship moving at 20-30 knots? It would be very difficult to keep it from being lost and keep up with the ship. I am 100% on board with no drones on cruise ships. While you might not get that "iconic" shot it's safer and honestly less annoying for all the other guests on the ship. Part of being a good drone pilot is knowing when it's a good idea (legal or not) to fly.
When he says we he means those of us here on the forum. Those that have replied to this thread have all agreed we are not talking about from the ship. We have been talking about taking it with you on the cruise for use at port stops along the way in locations that its allowed and there are some.

Perhaps it is their concern for the risk that LiPo batteries represent? Not good to have a fire onboard a cruise ship in the middle of an ocean. Just a thought.

Then they'd need to confiscate a whole lot more stuff from anyone trying to board the ship. Lithium batteries are in just about everything these days. Cameras, laptop computers, cellphones, e-readers, watches, electric toothbrushes, shavers, vibrators, hearing aids, pacemakers, ...

Then they'd need to confiscate a whole lot more stuff from anyone trying to board the ship. Lithium batteries are in just about everything these days. Cameras, laptop computers, cellphones, e-readers, watches, electric toothbrushes, shavers, vibrators, hearing aids, pacemakers, ...
Had to mention the vibe did ya...ha. Too funny.

I used to fly my drone anywhere and everywhere and only ever received curious questions from people as to what it was, how far, how high, how fast, how expensive, where to get one for themselves... But nowadays I'm much more sensitive to the fact that people generally find drones to be an annoyance or possibly even a threat.

Nine years ago, using my Phantom-1, I made a short video of the grave site of Lester B. Pearson, a former Prime Minister of Canada and recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. It's a romantic spot on scenic hillside overlooking the Gatineau valley, but it's otherwise an unremarkable grave for such a prominent figure, until a more significant memorial plaque was eventually added.

I didn't even know this graveyard existed until, on one of their visits from Europe, my grandparents asked me to take them there. Apparently they had met him and were friends. Anyway, rather than just buzzing around as usual for fun, I thought I'd instead do something useful with my drone to pay homage this mostly forgotten man.

But, while I was flying my Phantom around the small graveyard, some other people arrived and one lady asked me, "Do you HAVE to fly that thing HERE?"

And then I realized that not everyone shares my opinion that drones are cool, and flying a drone in a graveyard might, by some, be considered offensive.

The unstabilized GoPro video is garbage, compared to what modern drones are capable of.

I'd love to go back and do this again properly. But the graveyard lies just within the boundaries of Gatineau Park, which now has a strict no-drones policy. Sheesh.

No, drone is not to 'be packed'.
Allowed on board, not confiscated, but held securely in their Stateroom and released to you for shore excursions, then repeat storage on reboarding.
I'd go with that provided the owner can show the correct paperwork, permits and authorisations required for whatever legal jurisdiction and country they're trying to check it out to fly in.
That would also cover their own backs legally as well as being the responsible course of action.
Valid paperwork for that country - here's your drone.

This thread, as the other really does showcase the arrogance and sense of entitlement some people have with drones and neatly explains so many places feel they have to restrict them.

Valid paperwork for that country - here's your drone.

But that puts the onus on the cruise line to be able to recognize what's valid paperwork or not for each country visited. That'll never happen.

Its far better than just handing out a drone to someone with nothing at all ranging from where needed important paperwork or legal competence and so on.
The only alternative is a blanket ban which we see now (for good reason).

A free for all benefits nobody and just creates very real hazards.

Reactions: richandhiscat
But that puts the onus on the cruise line to be able to recognize what's valid paperwork or not for each country visited. That'll never happen.
Yep. Because that's a significant expense (and a major hassle) they neither want nor need. So the obvious result, they simply ban them all.

It's a completely appropriate business decision, which any of us would make if it were our job to manage that business (if we were being honest and doing our job).

Have you ever tried to simply determine, with a high degree of certainty, the regulations for a visitor to fly a drone in a foreign country? In many places, that's a difficult, time-consuming, squishy, uncertain, stunningly bureaucratic task. Imagine having to know those rules for a dozen locations, and determine with certainty that every drone-toting passenger has checked all the boxes (and most of them won't, so they would have to be "managed" and de-escalated and ultimately they would be denied)....you would have to hire a lot of people dedicated to accomplishing this (including lawyers). It would be very expensive, in a business (cruise ships) that (as best I can tell) is a very low-margin operation to begin with. Never going to happen because it would be an insane choice for their business.

You can get all huffy and vote with your feet if you want, angrily informing them that they've lost your business, but they won't notice - there are plenty of people waiting in line behind you with a fistful of money ready to pay for your spot. The number of drone-owning customers they will lose will not move the financial needle and will not even be noticed.

Rant if you want, "punish" them by going elsewhere. It won't make any difference.

Last edited:
People seem to forget how tiny the drone owning group actually is.

Most people are neutral or in many cases actively dislike them. They won't care about them being banned onboard, some would welcome the ban.
Chances are any hypothetical toy throwing from someone moaning they cant bring a drone is either so small its unnoticed or even countered by another person booking who does want them banned.

Its such a tiny part of the cashflow it can safely be ignored to make life easier for the companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78