DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RANT against cruise ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
EU makes it somewhat easier as its one legislation for all the member states so chances are each day you're still in a country where that is recognised.

That isn't the case in the Caribbean and elsewhere where each nation has its own requirements.

Hopefully drones will keep getting smaller and easier to hide. Even if it meant a smaller battery, I'd buy a stealth drone - provided the camera was usable.

Hopefully drones will keep getting smaller and easier to hide. Even if it meant a smaller battery, I'd buy a stealth drone - provided the camera was usable.
All very interesting and varied comments. Keep them coming! I am in the school of no drone/no go. If I can safely carry it in, I would judiciously fly where there are no people, even just a quick straight up, 5-6 shot pano, and come down. Maybe 10-20 second flights VLOS and immediately RTH in a stealth status (under a tree, etc.).

Reactions: thispilothere
I'm taking a Viking cruise to Norway in January. They allow drones to be taken on the ship, just not to be flown from the ship. I reached out to Norway's CAA (online and via email) to insure I'm in compliance with their regulations. I had to take an online course and pass a test. The fee was $22 for a year. I am now certified to fly in Norway and have a tail number.
I'm hoping to get some Northern Lights photos with the drone and my traditional camera.
Since this trip is just one country, it was worth getting certified. A different country each day is a different story.
I was recently in the Azores and Greece. I took my drone to the Azores and got some beautiful aerials of the volcanic lakes and pools. However, I did not take to to Greece since we were mostly visiting archaeological sites.
Being banned by the cruise line would have me looking elsewhere.
Good for you Lee.

Celebrity Cruise Line allows drones on board. You can't fly it on the ship of course but you can bring it with you. I had one with me just a few months ago. I dont see the issue so long as you follow the rules.

Celebrity Cruise Line allows drones on board. You can't fly it on the ship of course but you can bring it with you. I had one with me just a few months ago. I dont see the issue so long as you follow the rules.
Well here it is
- Some of the list, and then the drone part.Seabourn Probition list.jpgSeabourne drone prohib..jpg

A lot has been written on this already so, I'll simply add that I suspect part of the reason for banning drones is, the cruise lines don't want to piss off the countries they stop in (for whatever reason) and risk being denied permission to stop there in the future, so they just do a blanket ban. It's always about $$$$$ to the cruise lines...they don't give a fig about the countries of the passengers.

I am curious though...as small as many of these drones are now, like the Mavic 3 and FPV, how would the cruise line know if you had it packed way down in your carry-on bag or even deep in your big suitcase, which is usually picked up at the airport and sent directly (ultimately) to your room? The cruise line can't possibly search every single bag that is brought on the ship. Obviously you couldn't fly the drone from the ship...they'd know then, but you could take it ashore to get aerials on land. And, unless you were on a ship organized land tour, they would never know you flew on land.

A lot has been written on this already so, I'll simply add that I suspect part of the reason for banning drones is, the cruise lines don't want to piss off the countries they stop in (for whatever reason) and risk being denied permission to stop there in the future, so they just do a blanket ban. It's always about $$$$$ to the cruise lines...they don't give a fig about the countries of the passengers.

I am curious though...as small as many of these drones are now, like the Mavic 3 and FPV, how would the cruise line know if you had it packed way down in your carry-on bag or even deep in your big suitcase, which is usually picked up at the airport and sent directly (ultimately) to your room? The cruise line can't possibly search every single bag that is brought on the ship. Obviously you couldn't fly the drone from the ship...they'd know then, but you could take it ashore to get aerials on land. And, unless you were on a ship organized land tour, they would never know you flew on land.
DaveS

You and I agree on just about everything! If I ever did decide to go on one of these cruises (which I would not) I would take at least the Mini 2 and hide it and use it as you mentioned. For many years, my wife and I have sworn off of group tours, and organized tours of any sort. It only takes one to ruin it ,and on every tour, there, indeed, was such a person. We only travel independently now. I control everything that happens if possible, including driving in foreign countries, sometimes on the left, selecting and finding my own hotel or inn and guide, etc. For places that are impossible to do independently, like the Antarctic or Galapagos, I have bended to the rules, but only grudgingly.

Dale

Reactions: DaveS
I have a different take, why let a very small exclusion deprive you of a wonderful vacation? There are many cruise destinations which would be phenomenal drone opportunities, but I would not let a drone prohibition stop me from a great experience. It's a small thing, not worth the anger.

Reactions: okw and AZDave
Well here it is
- Some of the list, and then the drone part.View attachment 158517View attachment 158518
Have a look at Celebrity. Maybe other ships will have a similar thought in the future.
Next to last item on the list.

I have a different take, why let a very small exclusion deprive you of a wonderful vacation? There are many cruise destinations which would be phenomenal drone opportunities, but I would not let a drone prohibition stop me from a great experience. It's a small thing, not worth the anger.
Have a look at Celebrity. Maybe other ships will have a similar thought in the future.
Next to last item on the list.
Under "What Not to Pack" is listed aerial drones- will be confiscated.

Great post.........Here is my "Cruise-Drone" experiences........

#1 - 3 years ago we went on a NCL cruise ......we flew to Hawaii and got the cruise there...NCL has a
"NO DRONE" policy....I called the cruise line and spoke to a Representative and I asked he if I could bring my drone, not to use on the ship but on the excursions, I had checked the local laws. She advise me that I would not be allowed to bring my drone on board, so asked why...this was her "DUMB AS ROCKS REPLY" - because the
cruise line did not want me infringing on the other passengers privacy by photographing them. I told her that
I would NOT be flying my drone on the ship, just on the excursions. Again she said the if I tried to get on the ship that my drone would be taken from me and returned at the end of the cruise. So you are telling me that the reason that I could not bring a drone on board was because the ship did not want me to infringe on other passengers privacy by "photographing" them.....she replied "YES"......so I said what about the guy waling around
taking photos with his camera....she was dumfounded and had no answer for me......
Well I took my Mavic Air on board and got some great clips on all the excursions...I went right though
security [ x-ray ] and it never showed up...it was packed in a back pack...folded with a camera and two lens.

#2 - last week we took a cruise again on NCL.......this time I took my Air 2s.....packed in my back pack with a camera and two lens and sailed right through security at four different ports........

In three week we are going on Holland America and I WILL be taking my Air 2s again.......

Great post.........Here is my "Cruise-Drone" experiences........

#1 - 3 years ago we went on a NCL cruise ......we flew to Hawaii and got the cruise there...NCL has a
"NO DRONE" policy....I called the cruise line and spoke to a Representative and I asked he if I could bring my drone, not to use on the ship but on the excursions, I had checked the local laws. She advise me that I would not be allowed to bring my drone on board, so asked why...this was her "DUMB AS ROCKS REPLY" - because the
cruise line did not want me infringing on the other passengers privacy by photographing them. I told her that
I would NOT be flying my drone on the ship, just on the excursions. Again she said the if I tried to get on the ship that my drone would be taken from me and returned at the end of the cruise. So you are telling me that the reason that I could not bring a drone on board was because the ship did not want me to infringe on other passengers privacy by "photographing" them.....she replied "YES"......so I said what about the guy waling around
taking photos with his camera....she was dumfounded and had no answer for me......
Well I took my Mavic Air on board and got some great clips on all the excursions...I went right though
security [ x-ray ] and it never showed up...it was packed in a back pack...folded with a camera and two lens.

#2 - last week we took a cruise again on NCL.......this time I took my Air 2s.....packed in my back pack with a camera and two lens and sailed right through security at four different ports........

In three week we are going on Holland America and I WILL be taking my Air 2s again.......
YES- exactly. everyone will parrot the same old cover-your-tail reply. No one will find your drone- it's just another camera. Then you fly as stealth as possible when and if possible. A bad possible scenario most of the time is confiscation and return. An even worse scenario would be a $10,000 fine and a year in jail (Oman, UAE). A mild, don't fly that here is ok with me. You can either call it flaunting the law or playing the game.

Perhaps it is their concern for the risk that LiPo batteries represent? Not good to have a fire onboard a cruise ship in the middle of an ocean. Just a thought.

Perhaps it is their concern for the risk that LiPo batteries represent? Not good to have a fire onboard a cruise ship in the middle of an ocean. Just a thought.
Of all the the reasons, that would be the lamest. Thousands of aircraft with drone pilots fly daily. When was the last report of a Li Po fire reported on a flight? We all carry the batteries in the overhead. Each battery is separately wrapped. I have flown with my one on all US airlines many times in the past 5 years.

As some of you may suspect, my wife and I are travel junkies,
Dale, Cruise ships make all kinds of exceptions as you know. How many times have you seen them wait and wait for passengers who are late returning to the boat and then show up sauntering down the wharf seeming to care less to a chorus of boo's.
I would just contact the cruise line and see what kind of arrangement they could make.
I never really miss my drone on cruises, but now that I think about it, it would be fun to fly it off the balcony when anchored off Cabo ...Thats probably the very reason they're prohibited :cool:
Hope you can work it out.

Dale, Cruise ships make all kinds of exceptions as you know. How many times have you seen them wait and wait for passengers who are late returning to the boat and then show up sauntering down the wharf seeming to care less to a chorus of boo's.
I would just contact the cruise line and see what kind of arrangement they could make.
I never really miss my drone on cruises, but now that I think about it, it would be fun to fly it off the balcony when anchored off Cabo ...Thats probably the very reason they're prohibited :cool:
Hope you can work it out.
Sorry if you mis-understood me. I had no intention of taking this or any cruise. I explained that due to my need to take time for exhaustive photography, I have totally given up on any group activities. My wife and I do everything independently without tour groups, bus groups, etc. I do not want to be that person who is told to" be back on the ship at 5 PM because we are sailing at 6 PM."

My timelapses take an hour to do, for instance. I love to lag behind, have that last glass of wine or cappuccino at the bodega, etc. You know what I mean? Absolutely nobody will put up with my photography. I have even given up on photo tours. But the places that these Seabourne tours go to would be amazing for drones. . Check out the Seabourne cruises and you will soon see why I got so worked up about the drone prohibition, lumped in with guns, knives, explosives, etc.

they are super cautious about smoking etc..but cell phones, cameras, and all kinds of battery-operated devices are allowed and besides a fire at FL370 would be just as bad, and the airlines allow them in the carry on.

I just look for cruise ships that allow drones, next Sept, taking a celebrity cruse to Alaska. Bringing my Sky Cam, and carry on, full of photo equipment. Have to abide with the restrictions, not flying on the ship, not flying where the ship is docked. Otherwise, all good, taking ATV, into the Alaskan wilderness, with my Sky Cam and photo gear. Bringing the M2 with me to conserve on space in my carry on bag. Of course, like the rest of you, if they will not let me bring my drone, they will not get my money either. I keep looking for cruse ships, and places to travel that allow me to bring my flying camera with me. And, true they have to cover their backs legally, so far have been very successful finding a cruise that allows me to bring my air camera with me.

I just look for cruise ships that allow drones, next Sept, taking a celebrity cruse to Alaska. Bringing my Sky Cam, and carry on, full of photo equipment. Have to abide with the restrictions, not flying on the ship, not flying where the ship is docked. Otherwise, all good, taking ATV, into the Alaskan wilderness, with my Sky Cam and photo gear. Bringing the M2 with me to conserve on space in my carry on bag. Of course, like the rest of you, if they will not let me bring my drone, they will not get my money either. I keep looking for cruse ships, and places to travel that allow me to bring my flying camera with me. And, true they have to cover their backs legally, so far have been very successful finding a cruise that allows me to bring my air camera with me.
Great post- that is encouraging. We should all use our financial leverage when booking travel and be very open about it if we are going to gain any edge in this issue. Thanks for your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman