DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro World Environmental Day Video

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Some of you know I travel to Africa a lot. I am on the mailing list for a Wednesday e-mail from the world famous wildlife photographer, Dereck Joubert. He and his wife Beverly are part owners of many safari lodges, and they have produced several classic Disney movies, including Eye of the Leopard, and the Last Lion. THIS IS NOT MY WORK. Please notice the frequent use of the drones (I do not know what model). Drones are not permitted on safaris, but every single week, Dereck submits amazing films with a lot of drone video. This was too wonderful not to share with you all. It is 3:30 minute.
Enjoy.

Dale

Breathtaking! Simply spectacular . . . Dale, you travel to Africa often. Is it possible (let's say in Tanzania), could you get a personal guide into the Serengeti and get some air time or is the 'no drones' a blanket for most countries in Africa?

Breathtaking! Simply spectacular . . . Dale, you travel to Africa often. Is it possible (let's say in Tanzania), could you get a personal guide into the Serengeti and get some air time or is the 'no drones' a blanket for most countries in Africa?
James:

Most travelers to any country there stay at a lodge, including your room or tent, a main building or tent, and you are assigned a safari guide/driver.(any East Africa country- e.g.: Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, etc) . We have now been to every single country there over a lifetime and 13 African safaris. In every single instance we had a driver, and it was up to him to allow what we did. I never really asked to fly there in the few years I have had a drone. The drone shots I did do there were done from behind the camp, not on safari. I did these as I usually do- I never ask for permission. Just do it fast. My stealth method. You can apologize later. They say it disturbs the animals and other guests. There are usually other guests in your vehicle. They may or may not be accommodating. Usually they are a-holes. And if they are not photographers at all (not including iPhones) they have no clue as to the time it takes to do photography. Private vehicles are very expensive ($400 a day).

Right now I am planning a trip next year to the Middle East- including UAE (Abu Dhabi and Dubai)+Israel and Jordan. I am not even taking the drone. In Dubai, they are not even giving permits due to Huthi terrorist attacks with a drone recently! The penalty for a person flying a drone there is now 10,000 USD and a year in jail. They confiscate the drone at the airport and give it back to you when leaving the country.

Dale

Last edited:
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
James:

Most travelers to any country there stay at a lodge, including your room or tent, a main building or tent, and you are assigned a safari guide/driver.(any East Africa country- e.g.: Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, etc) . We have now been to every single country there over a lifetime and 13 African safaris. In every single instance we had a driver, and it was up to him to allow what we did. I never really asked to fly there in the few years I have had a drone. The drone shots I did do there were done from behind the camp, not on safari. I did these as I usually do- I never ask for permission. Just do it fast. My stealth method. You can apologize later. They say it disturbs the animals and other guests. There are usually other guests in your vehicle. They may or may not be accommodating. Usually they are a-holes. And if they are not photographers at all (not including iPhones) they have no clue as to the time it takes to do photography. Private vehicles are very expensive ($400 a day).

Right now I am planning a trip next year to the Middle East- including UAE (Abu Dhabi and Dubai)+Israel and Jordan. I am not even taking the drone. In Dubai, they are not even giving permits due to Huthi terrorist attacks with a drone recently! The penalty for a person flying a drone there is now 10,000 USD and a year in jail. They confiscate the drone at the airport and give it back to you when debating the country.

Dale
Much appreciated information sir . . .

Amazing video. I wonder if they had heard the music first and got certain shots to go with it or they just had so much great video, it worked perfectly with the music? Anyways, I love the drone video but the extreme close-ups of the animals faces and the birds is really mind-blowing. He must have a monster telephoto lens like 1600mm or more. Thanks for sharing Dale. Great choice.

Amazing video. I wonder if they had heard the music first and got certain shots to go with it or they just had so much great video, it worked perfectly with the music? Anyways, I love the drone video but the extreme close-ups of the animals faces and the birds is really mind-blowing. He must have a monster telephoto lens like 1600mm or more. Thanks for sharing Dale. Great choice.
Dave:
I wish I could answer that for you. I know that I can get shots like that with the Nikkor 600mm f/4 which I have rented and used numerous Africa safaris. If the vehicle can get close enough, 600mm is enough, and sometime, I had to actually ask my river to back up a bit because I was too close! Now, Nikon has released a 800mm lens, and I think that is enough. I shot these, for example, with the rented Nikkor 600mm f/4. I got better shots but I am too lazy to search through my drive.

Dale

Attachments

• Bateleur Eagle close up.jpg
    Bateleur Eagle close up.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Leopard head full frame profile.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Lioness close up - Copy.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
Dave:
I wish I could answer that for you. I know that I can get shots like that with the Nikkor 600mm f/4 which I have rented and used numerous Africa safaris. If the vehicle can get close enough, 600mm is enough, and sometime, I had to actually ask my river to back up a bit because I was too close! Now, Nikon has released a 800mm lens, and I think that is enough. I shot these, for example, with the rented Nikkor 600mm f/4. I got better shots but I am too lazy to search through my drive.

Dale
So how close do you estimate you were when you shot those, they look great, even though the lioness looks very bored. :)

So how close do you estimate you were when you shot those, they look great, even though the lioness looks very bored. :)
The lions and leopards often will walk right next to the vehicle! It is not unusual to be within 10 feet. Here are only a few examples. The final picture is of me and the 600mm telephoto lens and my bored wife. -019-stalking leopard.JPG047-Leopards on beach w Mala Mala vehicle.JPG052-Leopard on road approaches vehicle 7-12-13.JPG114.JPG

Very cool. You mounted the camera on that bar behind the front seat to steady your shots (as long as the car was not moving), right?
Yes- worked on this a lot at my camera store, and picked pieces off of the pegboard, including a clamp that clamps to the cross bar for the handheld in the vehicle. All safari drivers know to turn off the motor ASAP and nobody in the vehicle is allowed to stir! I probably will not be returning to Africa, and I have this rig for sale now on e-bay.Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.01.09 PM.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead